HD 7xxx-Can we eliminate the Sleep Trick?

7970 7xxx sleep trick

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
sea_man,

No I am not talking about eliminating the sleep trick nor did I mention anything about support or help, I just put some info about what I did to get the sleep function working, I have mentioned a few posts back about what I have done for someone with an AMD CPU.

zumuzza

zumuzza

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Guys I installed the new 10.8.3 build my card is detected, but I get the blank screen at login. I do not understand English very well and therefore can not understand the guide, someone can tell me exactly how to fix the white screen on login? I have a Sapphire 7750 Ultimate.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Zumuzza: This is not a guide, there is nothing here to tell you how to install card. I'll explain a bit more for everyone.....

some or maybe most 7000 series cards can be made to work in 10.8.3, different cards may require different methods, there are some info available elsewhere how to do this. But it's a new card and most of us only own one 7xxx series card, and only know how to make that one card work. So I have no clue how to make any card that is not my personal 7970 work in anything that is not my own hackintosh. For those who have managed to make their cards work, all of us after booting get a blank or white screen and can only fix this by putting the computer to sleep, then waking it back up. Aside from this though, we have managed to get everything else working perfect. The problem is that having to putting your computer to sleep and wake it again everytime you boot is annoying and kinda sucks! So those people who had managed to get everything working except for this one little annoyance, wanted a place to discuss their efforts in trying to fix this annoying bug, in hopes that having a single place to collect their findings, would help us to all find a solution much faster. I still want to keep it friendly and light hearted, but not make the real debugging info hard to find due to too much off topic posting. So stuff like TheMentalist sharing a quick link to help AMD cpu users is great and appreciated, but also want to try to avoid stuff like "how do I make this work" or "all is great, beside sleep trick, I just have one small problem...." since these posts tend to ask for, or expect, a reply from another member and that person's reply would then be very much "off topic".

So in short, feel free to post stuff and info, but if you post and then hope for a reply that involves anything other than "fixing the sleep trick", then you were off topic.

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Yes I agree with eep357.

devnull_1337

devnull_1337

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
for those on ivy systems the fix could simply be enabling (bios) the intel internal graphics and setting it to be initialized first, with or without attaching a monitor on any of its port. the thing with this setup is you will not see anything on the monitor hooked to your 7xxx during boot. that monitor will only come alive when the login window arrives, wide awake and waiting for your password.

the intel graphics need not have its kext loaded, at least not in my setup. though without its kext loaded i lost sleep, not me but my ihack. i regain sleep by injecting igpu into my dsdt as described by proteinshake below:

http://www.insanelym...n-for-108-1075/

i used "AAPL,ig-platform-id" = 0x06, 0x00, 0x62, 0x01, which is from a real imac13,1 with a core i5 3470S. i didn't inject the other info only "AAPL,ig-platform-id".

while the intel hd 4000 driver and capri fd loads for my hd 2500, it does not make any monitors attached to its ports work. i think this is how it's supposed to work with real imacs that have hd 2500 on them, imac13,x with core i5 3470S/3470 and such. it seems to me the drivers are loaded for use with airplay mirroring only. i do have the airplay mirroring option showing/enabled in my system but unfortunately, it is unable to actually mirror anything on my atv even though the atv works as an audio output device. i'm hoping this will eventually work when 10.8.3 is released or when someone finds the recipe.

UNOE

UNOE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I have three 7970's in my PC. I been able to boot with Chutoro framebuffer. But like everyone else get the white screen, but if I unplug the second GPU with a different Screen I boot fine. So Loading the framebuffer twice does allow me to boot without sleeping but I do have to unplug and replug the monitor into the second GPU. But with all that said I thought there was a way to edit connector order to fix booting to white screen ? I remember seeing people with 5xxx and 6xxx cards edit personality connector order and get past white screens. Can this be done ? If I knew how to do it I would try, but I don't. Or am I just way off and that won't help.

tofagerl

tofagerl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Are we certain that 7000-cards don't get the white-screen-bug (WSB from now on) on real Mac Pros? Someone must have tested this, but I can't find anything about it.
If they do, then this might not be something we have to solve ourselves, it might just be an incomplete driver which will be fixed at 10.8.3 release.
If they don't, then that means that the bug is because of something hackintosh-specific, like the bootloader or one of the (few) kexts we all have.

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes , the mac pro don't get the white-screen-bug , it only have black screen while boot.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
@sea_man:
Are you saying the 7000 series is fully functional with a MacPro and just causes a missing boot screen?
Could you please give more details on the hardware and OS it was tested with?

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
yes , i tested in the office , in a mac pro 3,1 ( 10.8.3 first beta ) =, no white-screen-bug , only not boot screen.

also here is the post of the rominator ( he discover the drivers for 7*** series in the 10.8.3 beta )

http://forum.netkas....9287e1f9e193837

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
That actually reminds me of the missing boot screen when selecting IGPU as primary video device in BIOS.
Maybe it is a faulty driver after all.

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
i don't think is because a faulty driver.. whit the HD 6870 ( without efi bios mod) also don't have boot screen in the real mac pro.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
What is the difference between the normal and the EFI bios? I hope I'm not shifting away too far from the topic.

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
In my poor compression i think this.. in a real mac pro ( efi ) the card is not initialized like in the PC ( bios ) , and because this it don't have boot screen until mod the bios to make it efi... like i said pages before, maybe we need turn our cards to efi for eliminate the white screen bug... this is my theory .

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
I currently run an XFX 7870 with an MSI BIOS which includes the Graphics Output Protocol but it didn't change anything.
It must be something else but I think you are on the right track.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
What causes the white screen with the AMD 6850/70 during installation of Mac OS X? This could be related.

Also Sapphire GPUs roms seem to have a lot of issues at the moment so if you due have a Sapphire card and have a card with dual BIOS to use another rom from another manufacture for testing.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
12D65: No changes.

I also noticed 3 equal framebuffers in the AMD7000Controller binary: Hamachi - which I am using - and two others. Probably for quick tests with different settings.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
I am able to boot without Sleep trick using no DSDT and Clover's video injection.

I was trying to fix some other problems and accidentally discovered this.
If I got something usable, I will report back.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Let us know if graphics acceleration loaded too! If not, it is same as safe boot would do, which doesn't require sleep trick, seems only when ATI7000Controller.kext loads does it become a problem.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
> alex@box [~] kextstat | grep -i amd
60	2 0xffffff7f814d1000 0x72000	0x72000	com.apple.kext.AMDSupport (8.1.0) <51 10 9 7 5 4 3 1>
61	0 0xffffff7f8155f000 0x1e8000 0x1e8000 com.apple.kext.AMD7000Controller (8.1.0) <60 51 10 9 5 4 3 1>
64	0 0xffffff7f81bed000 0x3b8000 0x3b8000 com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator (1.0.6) <63 62 51 10 7 5 4 3 1>
81	0 0xffffff7f81543000 0x14000	0x14000	com.apple.kext.AMDFramebuffer (8.1.0) <60 51 10 9 7 5 4 3 1>

Video acceleration definitely works. Diablo 3 shows some weird resolutions, though.
That might be related to the framebuffer I set.

ioreg shows 4 ports with Hamachi framebuffer.

EDIT:

ioreg snippets for GE=Yes and GE=No:
Attached File  ioreg_7870.zip   193.11KB   57 downloads

EDIT2:

Reverting from Hamachi back to the unpatched Aji fixed the resolution.

Edited by k3nny, 09 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 7970, 7xxx, sleep trick

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy