RAID LSI

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Your Perc. Did you do the well known SMbios 'fix/mod' on the card.

No, didn't need it.

BTW; I am not saying or suggesting the kext is wrong, since there are a million different DSDT's out there, and they could easily be the cause of malfunctioning legacy support.

The kext can't be completely wrong for sure since it behaves, but can haz bugs and problems, like any software. Some were uncovered (thanks to people in this thread) and fixed.
Plus hardware & it's firmware may have dark corners too. For example, by link i provided:

To make matters worse, it appears that certain OEM firmware causes a
deadlock in the megaraid_sas probe function if you try to enable MSI
interrupts, which possibly explains why the driver never tries to enable
them in the first place (I have still not had any response from LSI)

BTW, as we figured out, it's not a DMA issue you had, so it's not much worry about. Since MSI work for you, stay on 'em, they will provide you will better I/O.

gigignopechegno

gigignopechegno

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:TRAVEL
hey
dukzcry,

you think this card work?
LSI RAID CARD SAS MR 8888

thanks ;)

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi,

8888-ELP should work.

gigignopechegno

gigignopechegno

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:TRAVEL
thanks, I'll let you know. ;)

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Folks, i've added support of mfiutil to kexts. For those loving to compile everything by themselves: code is not yet pushed to github, please use binary distribution for now. You need to run that management util under root (or su/sudo). Manpage: mfiutil(8).

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Hey Dukzcry, I finally got a chance to test your driver with 64-bit LBA's and sadly, I still can't mount my 2.5TB hard drives. They still show up as 2.2TB and do not even show the data partition in Disk Utlity. They are both partitioned using GPT, but from Windows 8 rather than OSX. I don't know if this makes any difference. Any ideas?

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Black Knight:
Thanks for testing! I'll try to investigate what's problem in.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Actually, I'm not sure what happened, but after trying the latest driver with MSI enabled again and it being unsuccessful, I disabled it again and now all the drives are seen like they were before, but none of the NTFS partitions mount. I'm not even sure USB drives with NTFS mount. I'm not really sure what happened.

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Found a bug with interrupts which affects PPC controllers (PERC6 for example). Fixed, rebuilt and reuploaded kexts.
Black Knight: Could you please test the kext? You'll need to enable MSI in plist.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the MSI works and doesn't hang up the boot up like it did before. It doesn't interfere with USB or anything like before and all drives are seen by Disk Util and such, but I still can't mount any NTFS partitions. I think something happened to my NTFS driver or something. I'll try reapplying the 10.8.3 update to see if it fixes the problem. It is probably an issue with my computer, so MSI should work for others with PERC 6/i.

Actually, I take it back. After another reboot, I have the hangup again and no Parallel SCSI in System Profiler again. I guess MSI isn't working.

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Okay, did some rewrite:

From commit log
changes in interrupts field:
1. Don't lockup the system if intrs don't come;
2. Add PCI flush in intr handler, in rare cases it should cure lockups when on *legacy* intrs;
3. Don't wait when intr handler finish it's work on mutex lock, catch timeouts in HandleTimeout() instead.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Should this be used with MSI or not?

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
You may check both modes. If MSI will fail, your system shouldn't lock up like before, at least.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
So after some more testing, MSI doesn't lock up my computer like you said and the card does show up as a Parallel SCSI card in System Profiler, but no drives are detected at all. They not only don't mount, but they aren't visible either. That being said, when I use IRQ mode, it seems to work only if I don't do a "-f" at the bootloader. If I do a "-f", no drives mount, though they are visible.

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Thanks.

MSI doesn't lock up my computer like you said and the card does show up as a Parallel SCSI card in System Profiler, but no drives are detected at all.

That's now a correct behaviour for situation with broken MSI. You'll also see "COMMAND TIMEOUT" notices in log.

it seems to work only if I don't do a "-f" at the bootloader. If I do a "-f", no drives mount, though they are visible.

I may check this once. By the way, why not use cvad's kext utility instead for kexts pokery?

sirkingchase

sirkingchase

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Is it possible to run the OS from the raid array? Granted we would have to install it first and add the driver. Do you think this is possible?

I have snow leopard running on an ssd with windows I'd like to install lion or ml but I don't want to give up the partition. Kiev been spoiled by ssd performance and can't imagine going back to anything less than raid.

Removing windows is not an option, its the only windows machine in the house and iev been in the dog house with the wife before for deleting it.

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Is it possible to run the OS from the raid array?

Yes it's possible. Few people there are doing this, counting myself:

$ mfiutil show volumes
mfi0 Volumes:
Id Size Level Stripe State Cache Name
mfid0 ( 931G) RAID-1 128K OPTIMAL Disabled <DATA>
mfid1 ( 465G) RAID-1 128K OPTIMAL Disabled <OS X>

$ dmesg
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX0@1C/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pcibridge@0/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci1028,15@E/SASMegaRAID/IOSCSIParallelInterfaceDevice@1/IOSCSITargetDevice/IOSCSIHierarchicalLogicalUnit@0000000000000000/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices/IOBlockStorageDriver/DELL PERC 5/E Adapter Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/OS X@2

Granted we would have to install it first and add the driver. Do you think this is possible?

Same. Although it's simplier to add kext to USB flash and do "kextload <kext>" from terminal within system installer from that stick, then do os setup directly to the media attached to controller. To extract kext from driver's package use unpkg tool.
For the scheme of your wish you'll need to do all the same, but run "Disk Utility" and use it's "Restore" option, instead of doing installment.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
@dukzcry, I found the command lines that I'm sure cvad's utility uses and they seemed to work fine. I've always been able to do -f -v at bootup when I needed to add drivers and never had a problem with it before now, but whatever. No big deal.

Any idea why your 64bit LBA still isn't detecting my 2.5TB drives properly? The drives show up as 2.2TB and don't even show the data partition. They show up in Windows as 2.47TB drives so I don't think it's the controller, but rather the driver. Has anyone been successful in running a 3TB+ RAID array using your driver yet?

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

I don't think it's the controller, but rather the driver.

Or the stack which driver uses. I'll try to figure what's wrong by myself, or 'll ask an Apple expert. For most of your issues: please understand that it's hard to work blindly for myself not having an actual hw of problem.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
No, I never meant to imply that your driver was the cause. I definitely didn't mean to defame your driver and I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm just trying to figure out what changed during my testing and I was letting you know what the differences were so we could figure it out. Now that you've told me that it's not the driver upon further testing, I now know to check elsewhere. When I said "whatever", I just meant that if something had changed in newer versions of OSX that the -f flag no longer worked the way I expected, that I would just use the newer method you suggested instead.

I just want to thank you for making this driver available and to continue working on it for us. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RAID, LSI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy