How to boot OS X Mountain Lion with UEFI and GPT HDD

Fred30w

77 posts in this topic

Thanks dmazar, this release works great. I still get the shutdown hang, which is pretty annoying. I did notice that the sound card gets shutoff properly, because I heard the speakers pop. (I am using AppleHDA). Anyway, it might be your EmuVariableUefi.efi, is there anyway for it to be "temporarily" disabled during shutdown?

Using build 957 at the moment and the newest emuvar. I was wondering if clover can screw up the real nvram? I had a problem with brightness control keys suddenly stopped working and I thought that a vbios I had flashed has caused this. I have reverted to a more stable one and did reflash the onchip BIOS with /cvar option to reset nvram. Brightness keys started working again. Today I was updating Clover on my USB drive from 949 to 957 and forgot to unmount the efi partition properly.. the flashdrive got corrupted and refused to boot. I loaded up windows 8 legacy through its native bootloader to check what was left on the flashdrive.. well, some files gone missing .. themes were gone completely and so did drivers64uefi .. so I had to pull out a flashdrive with XPC bootloader and repair the clover USB by using an installer of some recent version, replaced configuration & acpi with my and off I went. After booting OSX with Clover I was logged off iMessages which no longer work (that's because of xpc presumably) and also I lost the brightness controls again (which I'm dead positive worked with XPC for ages). So could Clover had written something into nvram? I have attached dump from DD in Clover UEFI thread over at AppleLife. Will try reflashing with /cvar again to see if it fixes the issue again ..

OH, and happy New Years, @dmazar!

This time even /cvar doesn't help. It simply doesn't work...

I've reflashed the BIOS at least 5 times with different roms and VBIOSes .. none of them seems to help. Brightness keys stop working with XPC ass well. And what I've noticed is that after using Clover I can't even set brightness in BIOS or Boot Manager.. it doesn't react to keypresses, which is totally odd. So it has something to do with EmuVar and such.. I guess I can try booting without it and wait 10 minutes just to check is the keys will respond?

UPD:

I've tried reverting Clover back to rev 904 nomouse, I've tried booting without EmuVar and waiting for 10 minutes to be able to utilize PS/2 devices .. nada. Nothing brings brightness controls back.. so it's something related to AptioFix and how it interacts with real UEFI?

UPD2:

Fn+F2 which is Wi-Fi toggle combination no longer works as well..

• 1 month later...

@dmazar

I use your EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I have a problem with shutdown. Is it EmuVariableUefi-64.efi problem? Do you have an idea?

With CloverEFI BIOS there are no problems with shutdown.

Dell XPS L502x moddet BIOS

Clover UEFI Boot

Don't worry, your not the only one with the shutdown problem. I've had it since day one. If I use Clover EFI from a usb, there is no shutdown hang. If I Phoenix UEFI boot with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, my laptop hangs with power led and fans on.
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat. When booting from hdd with new emuvar it always freezes upon shutdown, with older the rate is lower but freezing still occurs. When booting from USB install it shuts off properly, but still freezes once in a while.

Timewalker, do you use AppleHDA.kext for sound or VoodooHDA? Sometimes I hear my speakers pop as if the soundcard is turned off during shutdown. Usually as the pop occurs, the laptop shuts off. When the freezing happens, I still hear the pop, but the laptop power is stuck on.

AppleHDA,

I don't get any popping unless I use headphones. There's definitely sound popping when you wear headphones and it can get you a headache pretty easily in a matter of minutes...but I've never heard it popping during shutdown actually.

I only occasionally get popping when my soundcard is initialized after it sleeps. (Ex: Using soundless app for a few mins or putting the laptop to sleep.) The popping is fairly quiet and doesn't occur during playback, only when my soundcard is turned on. During shutdown, my sound card pops when it gets disabled. By the way, does your sleep function hang occasionally too? The only guarenteed function that works 100% for me is restart.

Sleep works flawlessly here.

For me, sleep has a higher chance of working. Every now and then, I'll leave my laptop and come back to it stuck. (of course I lost my unsaved data and a forced reboot is necessary) I'm not sure if there is a correlation, if I freshly log onto OS X and shutdown, it works. If I wait and start Safari browsing or terminal work for extended periods, I get the shutdown hang.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

If you are still using Clover and EmuVariableUefi driver, please test new version. Details here: http://www.projectos...indpost&p=28411

Hello dmazar! I still do use Clover for OS X booting. Unfortunately, I get a weird screen after the Apple boot screen finishes when updating Clover and your new EmuVariableUefi driver. Here is a picture. I have reverted back to an older EmuVariableUefi driver and Clover r904 with shutdown hangs. post-525665-0-45394800-1365212520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred30w

I really do now knot what changed since I did not have HD graphics before. I know that for ProBook I had to use GraphicsInjector=Yes and DualLink=0 in Graphics section to get screen working. And currently I am using DSDT graphics injection, since Clover does not inject hda-gfx=onboard-1 or something similar.

• Like 1

It used to inject AAPL00,DualLink=0x00000000 before the issue appeared, now it seems to inject AAPL01,DualLink with 0 by default or based on the value of the key set.

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL01,DualLink", (UINT8 *)&DualLink, 1);
DualLink = gSettings.DualLink;

In both of these cases the screen is split either in two or in 4 parts on some laptops. Now, because the device id is the same for most laptops there is no universal solution, so

switch (gma_dev->device_id) doesn't really do justice here. Most laptops are fine with AAPL01 and if you'd have defined a special case in the switch for id of 0x0116 some people would end up complaining.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do now knot what changed since I did not have HD graphics before. I know that for ProBook I had to use GraphicsInjector=Yes and DualLink=0 in Graphics section to get screen working. And currently I am using DSDT graphics injection, since Clover does not inject hda-gfx=onboard-1 or something similar.

Thx dmazar! Using DualLink = 0 got the screen working great! So far I like the new Clover and EmuVar, my laptop has a more reliable shutdown than ever (but not perfect). I do have a question though, has CsmVideoDxe-64 been fixed for Intel HD 3000? So far when I install that file, I get a blinking cursor at the top left.

boot.log.zip

Ok, glad to hear that new version of EmuVariable is working. The version you are using now is test version. New version from installer (once when you'll upgrade Clover) will have less debug output, but the same functionality.

Regarding shutdown, do you have so called "Asus shutdown fix" in DSDT? Like this: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=904

Without it I have issues with shutdown.

Regarding HD 3000 native res - I can not get it working on my HP ProBook also in UEFI mode. The same symptoms as you have. If I remove the code for PCI Option rom, then ti gets to Clover GUI, but screen is unusable. It just does not work properly for some reason and I do not have time to dig deeper into it. Native res works fine when booting from Clover in BIOS mode.

You may try to use BiosVideo.efi driver from CloverEFI. The function is the same as CsmVideo, but communicates wit BIOS differently. Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629062/Clover/BiosVideo.efi (remove ScmVideo and add BiosVideo). I have the same issue with this one as with CsmVideo - so, not working here.

Ok, glad to hear that new version of EmuVariable is working. The version you are using now is test version. New version from installer (once when you'll upgrade Clover) will have less debug output, but the same functionality.

Regarding shutdown, do you have so called "Asus shutdown fix" in DSDT? Like this: http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=904

Without it I have issues with shutdown.

Regarding HD 3000 native res - I can not get it working on my HP ProBook also in UEFI mode. The same symptoms as you have. If I remove the code for PCI Option rom, then ti gets to Clover GUI, but screen is unusable. It just does not work properly for some reason and I do not have time to dig deeper into it. Native res works fine when booting from Clover in BIOS mode.

You may try to use BiosVideo.efi driver from CloverEFI. The function is the same as CsmVideo, but communicates wit BIOS differently. Here: https://dl.dropboxus...r/BiosVideo.efi (remove ScmVideo and add BiosVideo). I have the same issue with this one as with CsmVideo - so, not working here.

Your new BiosVideo seems to work better, now when I boot into Clover GUI, I don't get a blinking cursor but the screen is still blank. As for the shutdown problem, I believe my DSDT does have the ASUS shutdown fix, although I'm not sure if there is a difference between _PST and PST Methods, because this DSDT has both.

EDIT: Dmazar, I think your BiosVideo.efi does something right because I enabled PatchVBios and this now in the logs.

0:188 0:000 Starting BiosVideo.efi
0:190 0:001 Using load options 'BiosVideo.efi '
0:190 0:000 BiosVideoDriverEntryPoint!
0:190 0:000 - driver needs connecting
0:197 0:007 2 drivers needs connecting ...
0:197 0:000 PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... Success
0:197 0:000 Video driver loaded: disconnect Successdisconnect Success
0:306 0:109 Searching for invalid DiskIo BY_DRIVER connects: not found, all ok
0:306 0:000 VideoBiosPatchNativeFromEdid:
0:306 0:000 Bios: VideoBiosPatchInit(LegacyRegion = Success) = Success
0:306 0:000 VideoBiosUnlock: unlocked
0:310 0:003 Patching: Patch BT_INTEL: Parse Edid: descriptor block 0 is timing descriptor (h_active: 1366, v_active: 768, h_sync_offset: 48, h_sync_width: 32, h_blanking: 212, v_blanking: 22, pixel_clock: 23424, v_sync_offset: 2, v_sync_width: 5)
0:310 0:000 patched 2 time(s)
0:310 0:000 VideoBiosLock: Success
0:338 0:027 BiosVideoDriverBindingStart!
0:338 0:000 BiosVideoCheckForVbe
0:350 0:012 Edid1+
0:350 0:000 found Detail Timing 1366x768
0:350 0:000 timing string @0xFE:SAMSUNG
L�AT
0:350 0:000 timing string @0xFE:LTN156AT24L01
0:362 0:012 Edid0+
0:362 0:000 found Detail Timing 1366x768
0:362 0:000 ... already present
0:362 0:000 timing string @0xFE:SAMSUNG
L�AT
0:362 0:000 timing string @0xFE:LTN156AT24L01
0:363 0:000 0 1366x768 attr=9B - ok, edid+, working, highest, pref=0
0:363 0:000 1 640x480 attr=9B - ok, edid-, 640x480, working
0:363 0:000 2 800x600 attr=9B - ok, edid-, 800x600, working
0:363 0:000 BV new mode: 0 1366x768
0:596 0:232 SetMode pref 0 (0) = Success
0:596 0:000 BiosVideoDriverBindingStart - END: Success!
0:597 0:000 BV new mode: 2 800x600
0:744 0:146 VGA Pci.Hdr.Command=0 - not enabled
0:744 0:000 VGA Pci.Hdr.Command=0 - not enabled
1:074 0:329 LoadDrivers() end

Clover GUI is still a blank screen, but now OS X only shows 800 * 600 on the top left of the screen.

post-525665-0-89144100-1366946850_thumb.jpg

Once I adjust the resolution, it's normal again. Do you know what causes this or a fix?

post-525665-0-37056200-1366946977_thumb.jpg

boot.log.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi:

My hardware is:

MSI Z68MA ED55 (Bios modified http://legacy.tonyma...54196&start=260)

Sandy i3 2100

8 GB DDR3 1600

HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB

I try to use Clover by UEFI (Clover 1745)

I tried different combinations HFSPlus (or VboxHfs-64) with OsxAptioFixDry-64, ( or OsxLowMemFixDrv-64), etc.

I get to this stage and then I get stuck and I can not continue

bootkq.jpg

capturadepantalla201305.jpg

Do I have any chance with this motherboard?

Thanks.

ShellEFILogs.zip

• 9 months later...

You'd better format the disk with disk utility for osx.

Hello folks

i like too much your work here and i hope to help people too ,a day..

now i did myself made hackintosh on a biostar z87x 3d hifi,all works and with the help of fabio1971 who repaired 1 error, i have a working dsdt too now 

i have a ssd 240 gb partitioned 180 macos journaled and 60 ntfs

i m learning now of importance of right portioning for efi boot ,i attach a screen of my partitions ,i think i must to format all ,

let me know the best performance partition table for my hackintosh

best regards

giuseppe