Windows faster than OSX?

pcace

3 posts in this topic

Hey,

im using my Hackintosh now for around 1,5 years and i am pretty happy with it. The most time i use it, i use it for renderings with Cinema4D (R13) and VRAY.

Through some reason i needed Windows7 for some hours on that machine.

Also windows runs on that machine ;) BUT i tried to render a scene with Cinema4d R12 (win 64 bit all updates installed) under windows and i was completely stunned that it runs around 25% faster than the same Scene unter OSX!!!!

My machine has a Gigabyte ex58-UD5 Board, a i7 (OC @ 3,7GHZ), 24GB Ram, SSD for MacOSX and SSD for WIndows.

I tried to install OSX via the great script form Digital-dreamer (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185097-guide-scripted-retail-lionmountain-lion-install-on-gigabyte-mobos/)

and also via kakewalk4.0

On my real MacPro there is not that huge difference betwen the rendertimes under osx and Windows.

Any hint would be really great!!!

Where can i look for failtures?

Any Idea?

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of reasons anything may run faster on one platform over another. In this case, the nVidia drivers are the most likely culprit, but that one comparison is not really enough to make any assumptions one way or another. Also must always remember, it's a Hackintosh, it can run just as well as a Mac with similar hardware, but was not designed to be optimized for non-apple hardware. Noticed in your sig sleep not working, is native power management and speedstep working?

It can boil down to code optimizations for one OS over the other. For example, you could ask yourself why would running a flash video heat up a Macbook Pro yet that same MBP running windows would be much cooler? From benchmarks ran in OS X and in Windows as well, I've seen gpus get better scores under Windows than OS X which is what I'm basing my assumption of this on. Going back to what eep357 said and what you said about the difference for your Mac Pro being negligible, I think I can safely assume that is optimization differences in your system under OS X than that of Windows where it's a world where things are just bound to work from the get go.