Have you noticed the AutoRestartAfterKernelPanic function lost ?

p.H

47 posts in this topic

I've posted this thread in chameleon issue web page

But I didn't get any updates for almost two days

So if it's fine, I'd like to discuss here cuz I know here we have chameleon developers

I hope they would pay certain attention to it at least let us know if it's solvable or not :)

in short, the AutoRestartAfterKernelPanic function is lost

Once before, when I've encounter the kp , as long as I've installed chameleon

after nearly 10 seconds( which can be customed ), the machine will restart automatically

However, it won't work any more.

I've found there was a key in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

named AutoRestartAfterKernelPanicn

This key I think is vital to this function

But since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, the function is gone. So is the key.

Even I manually added this key to the plist file, it's still in vain.

I'd like to know if it's in relationship with chameleon or the mac system itself

Your replies are highly welcomed ~~~

Chameleon issue webpage link :

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/288/

Hopefully KP's are rare, but I get my fair share when pushing overclocking limits too far. That's why I added a remote control for hard reset :)

yep, my hack is quite stable just in case that kp would happen

got some ideas ? : )

Well, I have one of these http://www.outletpc.com/wg3634.html installed in my case. Added a second set of wires for both the power and reset pinouts on the mobo so I can use the remote, or the front panel buttons. It can be ran off your power supply, but it wouldn't work to turn the computer on cause the relay wouldn't have power, I'm using an external 12v AC/DC adapter from an old router to power it separately. Since it's designed to send out power to the channel you activate via remote it works fine for things like lighting as is, but computer's power and reset switches do not have current running to them, they are triggered by completing an open ground circuit between the 2 pins on the mobo. So the power and reset wires run through a couple basic SPDT micro relays from radioshack, remote control sends power to these relays closing them, and completing circuit. I found that for the momentary (quick on/of) function of the remote, was a bit too quick for the mobo to realize it was time to reset, so I slowed the relays timing down a bit by adding a capacitor, would have to double check the exact size I used, but the bigger it is, the longer the relay stays closed. For the power, because I want option to either push once for sleep, or hold down for power off, it's hooked up to the latched output of the remote, so I gotta push the remote button once to start "holding down" power button, then push again to "release power" button.

Well, I have one of these http://www.outletpc.com/wg3634.html installed in my case. Added a second set of wires for both the power and reset pinouts on the mobo so I can use the remote, or the front panel buttons. It can be ran off your power supply, but it wouldn't work to turn the computer on cause the relay wouldn't have power, I'm using an external 12v AC/DC adapter from an old router to power it separately. Since it's designed to send out power to the channel you activate via remote it works fine for things like lighting as is, but computer's power and reset switches do not have current running to them, they are triggered by completing an open ground circuit between the 2 pins on the mobo. So the power and reset wires run through a couple basic SPDT micro relays from radioshack, remote control sends power to these relays closing them, and completing circuit. I found that for the momentary (quick on/of) function of the remote, was a bit too quick for the mobo to realize it was time to reset, so I slowed the relays timing down a bit by adding a capacitor, would have to double check the exact size I used, but the bigger it is, the longer the relay stays closed. For the power, because I want option to either push once for sleep, or hold down for power off, it's hooked up to the latched output of the remote, so I gotta push the remote button once to start "holding down" power button, then push again to "release power" button.

:D

your solution seems kinda interesting

but I'd rather solve it maybe by modification of certain files

not adding extra components : (

No problem, i understand. My mods were done for other reasons entirely as that option existed until recently, but it does kill an extra bird

mod

is it possible for you to let some chameleon developers notice this thread or the problem

Would like to first know if option exists on real mac running ML, can only run up to Lion on my Macbook without hacking it (which I have no desire to do)

Just did a bit of searching on this, in ML it is not active for all models, it says only available for desktop macs, but in Apple discussion boards there was desktop users who did not have this feature in ML and others who didn't in Lion. In SL, appears to have only been available running server version.

Reboot function in prior versions of OSX is handled by watchdogtimerd, it' a continuing counter run in smc that if it ever reaches zero (meaning the OS was unable to reset it cause it froze/kernel paniced) it will trigger a reboot. Currently I believe this is handled by launchd in Mountain Lion. You can try a different smbios and see if any effect there. I'll take a look at fakesmc here in a bit and see if anything catches my eye

Would like to first know if option exists on real mac running ML, can only run up to Lion on my Macbook without hacking it (which I have no desire to do) Just did a bit of searching on this, in ML it is not active for all models, it says only available for desktop macs, but in Apple discussion boards there was desktop users who did not have this feature in ML and others who didn't in Lion. In SL, appears to have only been available running server version. Reboot function in prior versions of OSX is handled by watchdogtimerd, it' a continuing counter run in smc that if it ever reaches zero (meaning the OS was unable to reset it cause it froze/kernel paniced) it will trigger a reboot. Currently I believe this is handled by launchd in Mountain Lion. You can try a different smbios and see if any effect there. I'll take a look at fakesmc here in a bit and see if anything catches my eye

i have a notebook hacked as mbp6.1 and mbp 8.1

neither one worked.

plus, both worked in Lion

As far as I know, although both worked in Lion, they will not in ML, it's suppose to be for servers, now that they don't make servers, it's limited to desktops. If you open IOreg you can see SMC Watchdog Timer listed under SMC, figure out how to change the boolean to "true" and then it may work. I didn't see anything in the defaults for NSGlobalDomain

As far as I know, although both worked in Lion, they will not in ML, it's suppose to be for servers, now that they don't make servers, it's limited to desktops. If you open IOreg you can see SMC Watchdog Timer listed under SMC, figure out how to change the boolean to "true" and then it may work. I didn't see anything in the defaults for NSGlobalDomain

yep, i saw the value was false.

once i regard this function as chameleon's excellent work T_T

dude, it seems not that simple to solve

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10701

the option inside energy saver did go away

i first thought it's a matter with fakesmc kext

now, don't know what the heck is going on

I read the same support page at Apple, "some computers" is pretty vague

yep, i was just trying to get what the model that apple support this function.

is there a way to discuss with apple to clarify that ?

I read the same support page at Apple, "some computers" is pretty vague

here's another link related to linux

I am not sure if it will work inside Mac though

http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/03/21/howto-automatically-reboot-a-linux-system-after-a-kernel-panic/

man sysctl didn't see any changeable values in the man page that looked like they were relevant

same here. Nothing related.

it's so disappointing.

Now almost all notebook hacked have only two options in /System Preferences/Energy saver Power Adapter tab.

losing the restart after computer freezes

Well, now that Osx server is more of an app than a OS, I don't know if running it would change anything, but as dev I do get free download of newest version and have been meaning to try it out, so maybe you just give me a reason to do so.

And....nope :(

Well, now that Osx server is more of an app than a OS, I don't know if running it would change anything, but as dev I do get free download of newest version and have been meaning to try it out, so maybe you just give me a reason to do so. And....nope :(

Yep, that's really annoying for it's damn difficult to find a working vanilla ML server to check it out.

If you do want to figure this out badly, u can decide to upgrade to server version

If you don't think it a big deal, keep your present working copy :)

Either fine here.

Well, now that Osx server is more of an app than a OS, I don't know if running it would change anything, but as dev I do get free download of newest version and have been meaning to try it out, so maybe you just give me a reason to do so. And....nope :(

whatever, I just want to solve this problem asap

even though it's not a big threat to me

BTW, did u try slice version ?

ML server installs no problem and always Vanilla, as I mentioned OSX server is no longer a full/separate OS but is now nothing more than an app that is run while booted into your normal OSX installation, so it can run just like any other application would. So while it has some other options, this was not one of them, nor did I see any changes in global sys prefs. Haven't tried any other version of fakesmc in a couple months, slice version with oembios plug-in caused a few people problems with 10.8.2 preview, so I may want to hold off on going that route at the moment.

ML server installs no problem and always Vanilla, as I mentioned OSX server is no longer a full/separate OS but is now nothing more than an app that is run while booted into your normal OSX installation, so it can run just like any other application would. So while it has some other options, this was not one of them, nor did I see any changes in global sys prefs. Haven't tried any other version of fakesmc in a couple months, slice version with oembios plug-in caused a few people problems with 10.8.2 preview, so I may want to hold off on going that route at the moment.

:D

since slice put his efforts in clover's development

he's not that into updating fakesmc

one common phenomenon is that slice's version has one more option in energy saver

if my memory servers me correctly , that's not the option for auto restart.

Can't understand why Apple decided to pull off this function which is kinda nice to hackintosh.

BTW, Apple officially announces the Java Updates :)

Maybe your thinking of the reset after power loss which I also don't have in 10.8 hack. Here's comparison of 10.8.2 hack desktop vs Apple 10.7.5 MacBook post-734613-0-31806200-1346896027_thumb.pngpost-734613-0-51572700-1346896072_thumb.jpg

yep, slice's version have one more option than klozek's

anyway, neither version has the option of "Restart the computer if the computer freezes T_T "

iirc the restart after power failure is added using slice version, sry I didn't make what I was saying very clear b4. But as you said, neither will enable the restart after freeze option :( You could always try using a smbios for an xserve :)