G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I took the plunge and updated to 10.8.3. After it finish installing, it said installation failed. I but I restarted normally and to my amazement, it updated to 10.8.3. Give it a shot wont hurt anything. I would say that I lost audio. I haven't rolled back any kexts yet though. but the update works. I will test audio and report back. I haven't tested sleep or the nvidia kexts as well...

After further testing, sleep and wake works with out modifying the kexts, but backlit is no longer functioning after wake

Found Issues:

no backlit after sleep

no audio

HDMI audio needs testing

UPDATE:

After reapplying DEC10.ZIP from the first thread, minus the the fakesmc.kext, everything is working perfectly. I had to reapply ( sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }'/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib ) to get Backlit working after sleep. HDMI audio works. I also changed S/L/Displays/Overrides for DisplayVenderID-daf with the one from the first thread. fix permission via disk utility and reboot. Everything is working like normal

• Like 1

Thanks for that youngwake! I can confirm that I have also updated to 10.8.3 and all is working after reapplying kexts to S/L/E and S/L/Displays/

I had an install error the same as you, but when I rebooted, it was at 10.8.3.

The only differences are, I used the kexts from this post, http://www.insanelym...60#entry1874144 because I have been using these for a while and they are different to the Dec 10 ones - and I didn't want to end up with a mishmash of 2 different sets of kexts. However, they seem to work well too! The only thing I have not checked is HDMI Audio, but I do not see why it would not work. When I get the chance to check it, I will report back.

One thing I will add, is that my install seems a hell of a lot quicker... and I mean a hell of a lot. It's got back that 'snappiness' that I felt I lost in 10.8.2.

Ok but.

I read the changelog of 10.8.3

so I think it's not really necessary to have an upgrade If you have an hardware like ours.

this is because I chosed to not upgrade the os. But if I wish to do.. I know how.. thanks you

First of all, thank you so much fo putting this much effort in trying to get everyhardwarepart working in our G73SW laps.

i've had several installs like 10.8.2 (Myhack) and iAtkos 10.8.2 ML2

the first one installs fine, but after reboot there is no audio and no hmdi output

the seccond one (iAtkos) sometimes KP at booting the dvd.. if it doesn't happen to KP.. the install finnishes, but after reboot wifi+audio is working but i have to boot from cd because the installed bootloader gives an error boot0: test boot0: error.

i have read every single post in this toppic, but to be honnest i completely lost track. what dsdt, ssdt, several kexkts should i use? what is the best way to start from scratch? (step by step-guide)

any help would be appriciated.

thanx in advance!

Follow this guide: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/hackintosh-boot0-error.html?m=1

Put the extracted file on a key drive then boot from whatever media you used to install ML and follow instructions.

MAKE SURE you have the correct identifiers or you could lose your partitions/data. If in doubt, backup before hand or make sure there is no important data on your drive.

Thanx ellnic.. i took a shortcut. changed to a drive which reads and writes files in 512 byte sectors.

i followed this guide for 10.8.3 install:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3101

i further followed the steps from your post #192

installs just fine.i further followed the steps from your post #192

after reboot when i add kexts to s/l/e with kexts wizzard, it gives KP at next reboot.

what am i missing?

Jeff, in your very first post in this toppic you state 'Choose your install methods. There's plenty out on this site.'

there is indeed. i used this one from olarila : OS_X_10.8.3_Mountain_Lion_bootable_USB_for_Intel_PCs

after registering the kexts from your 10dec.zip with kext wizzard it gives kernal panic

I think it does matter what install you use? :worried_anim:

How did you install the kexts? Did you use something like kext wizard? Did you repairpermissions afterwards?

Boot with -v at chameleon screen (verbose mode) and tell us what the panic is related to. It does not matter what install method you use. The OS is the same. Olarila works fine because I use that myself. Olarila's USB image is a vanilla (unaltered) install so the panic must be related to something else.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen that you used kext wizard so ignore that bit.

i've had some trouble with kextwizard, the first time i used it.. it did it's job fine, but after a reboot i didn't get to choose a destination drive (only 'option 1' and 'option 2' ) so i used another tool something like Kext-helper.

i rebooted with option -v verbose mode. there was some powermanagement kext what caused the kernalpanic.

i didn't have the patience to post the error on this board and wait for a solution and tried another install.

i had another go with the 'my hack' install http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

and i found out that i could inject a custom 'extra' folder at the end of the install.

so i put all of jeff's files from 10 dec (all the kext and latest dsdt.aml etc) into that folder and finished the install.

i booted once more via the myhack usbstick, choose my osx partition to boot.

once booted, i ran the myhack utility to install the included bootloader.

now it (multi)boots all by it's self :thumbsup_anim:

what's working:

* Nvidia GTX460m with OpenCL/CUDA

* Audio

* Battery icon in taskbar

* USB 3.0 (i had to shutdown and pull the powercord once to get this working)

* Wifi

* Ethernet

* volume keys (fn + vol-up and vol-down)

* HMDI out (dual screen)

* Bluetooth

What's not working:

* Sleep (when i try to put it to sleep the screen goes blank and never wakes up again)

* Backlit keyboard

* SD cardreader

i have to tell, i bought my G73SW 2 years ago and installed osx 10.6 on it, but i never got this far almost everything works :P

thanks to you guys!

but still i would like to troubleshoot sleep and backlit-keyboard, i'm gonna research further tonite

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i upgraded to 10.8.3 and at the beginning all was fine (including sleep, and so on). Then after a few weeks now i have my system that go to sleep just once, and then no more! It happened also with 10.8.1, 10.8.2 and now with 10.8.3 ! It happened in 2 systems installed from scratch. I can't really understand why it happens after a while. Is there something that "autoupdates"? in SLE dir (some kexts) ? Really strange...

Unfortunatelty you will need to wait for the official Nvidia 10.8.3 kexts to fix this. Do not reapply the 10.8.2 ones - I have found they do not work for 10.8.3 (hangs at boot).

• 3 weeks later...

Nvidia have released 10.8.3 Drivers for OS X. Go to: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-313.01.01f03-driver.html

Now for some reason Nvidia have chosen to have a dual display driver setup in their latest release. It is VERY important that you do not entirely replace the kexts with the ones they provide or it won't work. At least it didn't for me. I also could not get their new pref pane to work - I welcome suggestions to get it working. With Nvidia's new kexts, you will notice that 8 of the kexts have Web on the end of the file name - do NOT rename these. They sit along side the OS X ones. The goal is to be able to switch between them on a real Mac. When a real Mac uses the pref pane, it writes "nvda_drv=1" to the NVRAM and loads the Nvidia drivers instead. In this respect, the pref pane will never work - but we can manually mimic this by using the same boot flag in Chameleon.

Reasons why you would want to do this: Freezing Open CL (Does your screensaver come on in 10.8.3 and take the OS down?), No sleep (or wake), No backlit keys

To install:

1. Extract kexts from "WebDriver-313.01.01f03.pkg" using unpkg

2. Install all 9 Kexts using Kext helper and BACKUP REPLACED KEXTS- it will only replace 1 Kext - NVDAStartup.kext (this is normal as the names are now different) Keep the replaced Kext safe for a moment

3. Repair permissions

4. Reboot (if screen resolution is not right, reboot again)

5. Add nvda_drv=1 to boot flags, update chameleon to latest version

6. Reapply Perl Script (should say 1 substitution)

7. If you have CUDA, update to latest version

8. Reboot

If this fails then swap the NVDAStartup.kext back and remove the boot flag, delete the Kexts ending in Web, and repair permissions / reboot.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

has anyone tried clover with this machine? I know there are people using it successfully. I think it will be the future... i am still having some problems with this machine , expecially due to sleep: it goes to sleep once after reboot, then no more sleep,system always on. Perhaps when i will have some time i will give it a try... in the meanhile thanks for your 10.8.3 nvidia files procedure ellnic :) Jeff? are you alive? ;)

Works great for me, so far. only a couple steps I'd like to point out and verify. :)

5. Add nvda_drv=1 to boot flags, update chameleon to latest version

Added the lines

<key>nvda_drv</key>
<string>1</string>

to my Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

and then I install the lastest (Chameleon-2.2svn-r2235.pkg)

and just in case my 750gb HD always have problem with putting the boot file, I download the i386.zip for 2235 and dd=if ... it using the 10.8.2 installation usb drive.

6. Reapply Perl Script (should say 1 substitution)

Error: 0 substitution

I just ignore it and see what happen for now.

Maybe it's because I did it already. (before this NV update and right after I update to 10.8.3 and lastest CUDA)

Now I didn't delete everything from the S/L/cache yet, going to do it later and see if it really work even after the cache rebuilt.

Also two interest things I notice on the first post from Jeff when I try to remember the process of installation before I update to 10.8.3.

1. I don't recall or I missed the part where I should check the option in Enoch install/Modules (ACPICodec, klibc....and some other things) all I did was the bare minimum. (standard and the setting was done manually at the boot.plist)

2. another thing I missed was the S/L/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-def I didn't replace it either, is still using the original from OSX install.

I did try to add it in after I updated to 10.8.3 (first attempt).... results: audio dead, system crash every 30 mins, don't sleep, hang when doing shut down. (tried replace kexts and rebuilt cache, still same)

So I just curious about what are those two steps are trying to do? (when it is working)

Anyway, I'll post anything if I found something/question. Thank you.

Oh, btw, while I was replacing my DC jack, I did go ahead and removed the metalic foil behind the touch-pad. now the touch-pad is very smooth and works great. (so I here recommended if anyone open up their G73 to that level, you should definitely do that too.)

Nice one. The way you have added the boot flag does the same as the way I did it, either is good.

The first step you mentioned is to do with getting HDMI audio out to work. Can you confirm if yours is working?

The display override is purely cosmetic and is just so the display pref pane says there is an Asus display connected.

If you are getting 0 substitutions when using the perl script, I wouldn't worry as long as everything is working. I believe the script is used to enable openCL.

Delete the S/L/Cache folder every time you make changes to S/L/E, or your system may load a cached copy of a previous kext and cause problems. The cache folder is recreated by the OS on each boot so don't worry about binning it.

You have a 750GB HDD like me, so you needed to use the boot1h fix- this only needs to be done again if you format the drive, the file is not specific to the chameleon version so it does not need doing after an update.

Glad you got your trackpad sorted! How easy was it to remove the keyboard? Did you manage to remove it without damaging it? I have seen videos where it needs to be practically ripped out to remove it!!

• Like 1

The first step you mentioned is to do with getting HDMI audio out to work. Can you confirm if yours is working?

Yes, Volumes control by the tv itself, Mac side is gray out, and when unplugged, everything goes back to normal (internal speakers) automatically.

If you are getting 0 substitutions when using the perl script, I wouldn't worry as long as everything is working. I believe the script is used to enable openCL.

Right, I think it is probably because my openGL is already enabled. And for the performance after the whole update including 10.8.3 and Cuda, I did get a lot less openGL channel timeout when letting Energy Saver set to turn off screen and sleep when idle (Still get the time out every now and then, but definately a lot more stable now). And I did kept trying to tell computer to go to sleep manually, and wake it up, over and over, trying to get it crash, but so far, this way is now safe (damn thing won't die, hehehe), so I can always turn off the Energy Saver and tell it to sleep manually. I will try only the screen sleep next time when I rendering something big, yet unimportant.

You have a 750GB HDD like me, so you needed to use the boot1h fix- this only needs to be done again if you format the drive, the file is not specific to the chameleon version so it does not need doing after an update.

Right, I forgot to mention that I messed it up at the first attempt, so I need to restore the partition back, and that's why I need to use the boot1h. :D

Glad you got your trackpad sorted! How easy was it to remove the keyboard? Did you manage to remove it without damaging it? I have seen videos where it needs to be practically ripped out to remove it!!

Everything is easy except the part that the keyboard has "double side tape" (very sticky too) taped it onto the metal base, So I just take my time and use the paint scraper pry it open a little by little, so I don't bend it.

Good I didn't damage anything, I had open it and put it back and open again... twice, using the same way, oh, btw, the back of the keyboard has some kind of foil where the tape is on, I think the guy in the video broke the foil (ripped) and so he said the Keyboard is damage, but if you do it slowly you can keep it from ripping open.

BTW, I'm debating whether to stick a plain paper to where the double-side tape is, so I don't have to fight with it every time I open it. But apparently the tape is what keeping the Keyboard nice and flush after you put it back down, so ..... it's all up to your preference.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my 10.8.3 done and see there is a 10.8.4 out. Good, I still remembered all the steps. Nothing special, same method as doing 10.8.3. Everything works as it suppose to.

It's safe, so enjoy!

post-159181-0-43562200-1370894950_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i have tried to install osx 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 and always get a kernel panic telling me that the kext that caused the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext caused it where do i get another kext or fix the kernel panic

if i remove the kext i get this

post-1194954-0-90147900-1374560276_thumb.jpg