Some temperature questions

1 post in this topic

I've searched in a few places, and it may just be my wording, but I can't find anything telling me exactly what I want to know. So forgive me if this has been asked before! :) I am mostly curious if running on Mountain Lion, my desktop will still have it's temperature safety features? I know Windows machines use the BIOS for fan controls right? So if I was in Windows 7, and the temps ever got too hot, the machine would shut itself off before causing damage? If I understand right, real macs use SMC for this?

I never really checked my temps running under Windows. I could always hear the fans kick up if I ever did anything really processor/graphics intensive, so I just never thought about it. But I've noticed under OS X, my machine never turns the fans up at all really. I've attached a photo of what my temps are under normal circumstances/idle. But every once in a while when I do something fairly intensive, the temps shoot up very high, and the fans never seem to change speed.

So what I am wondering, is if first of all, should they ever get dangerously high on the processor or graphics card, will the normal safeguards keep things from getting damaged? And second, is there something I can do to make it so that the fans come on as they should? I've read about people working on the DSDT but I don't have one (or at least if all hacks have one, I never modified it) so I am not sure how to proceed. Thanks! :thumbsup_anim:

post-1034561-0-60439800-1344881501_thumb.png