need help booting mountain lion installation on my laptoplaptop

82 posts in this topic

well if you can bare with me i could explain to you my bizarre needs but i am pretty sure about what i am going to do !!

the other windows installation is for the upcoming windows 8 reserved by another installation for windows 7 ultimate

Mac os Extra space is for storing purpose cause i am a formataholic !! (i always separate my files and games on another partition so when i format i loose nothing !!)

and by the way mr.james what if i am going to boot from windows boot loader ?? why its a bad idea

Eventually the laptop came with windows 7 (to be used with it cause its an oem one)

i dont know about your country and how do they handle it but in my country you need to make it as stock as possible when you need to fix it under warranty !!

well let me know if any more adeas comes to you guys

maybe you are right but i would like to do it my way one more time even if i break it :DX

i am going the GUID way with partitioning my disk so i will boot usb ML installer then dik utility the i will partition all of the mac os journaled then i will boot paragon hdd manager then reformat what parts i want to ntfs

one thing come to my mind :

How can i copy and delete from an ntfs partition with ML

i tried paragon ntfs but i dont know how to make it work !!

ML does see my partitions but i do need to write some files every now and then

I had a biziare seen here when I did the partitioning the apple way

it seems to make a 128mb of unlocatsd space between every partition and the another even if that partition is not used for booting so I retuned to my paragon hdd manager and deleted every partition except for the EFI partition and did the hole thing one more time

this time I got the following working

windows 7 home premuim uefi dvd

then I installed

windows 7 ultimate (I booted the mensioned disk but I failed so I did boot from my win7oem disk then I changed the disks at the start screen then installed normally ((I don't know why it did happen like that because the two windows' disks are 64bit but anyway this way worked for me so my guess would be its a win7 x64 efi disk not uefi )) and continued the installation

now I have dual booting ready from efi partition

now I booted from usb to ML installation and here I noticed two things :

I still have those freaking lines before the apple logo

boot encountered some problems ( or something similar )

pausing for 5 seconds

I will try to show you those lines in verbose mode so you can assist me better but the only way to do so is by making I video and thats what I shall do

the second problem was with apple legacy logo (I used to get the new white apple logo ) and I tried to delete the chameleon plist to remove the lines but I still get with the legacy logo (the gray apple )

is this because I am doing my usb bootable through vmware Image ?? or this is aint an issue ??

most noticed : when I am certain of my laptop and I do go to sleep the next day when I first boot my os x installation I do have a freez but when I reboot it goes off (I don't know the cause of this obviosly but I stop the verbose mode so apple greets me with the ((you need to shut down your pc bla bla bla ))

it does bothers me at first and I do hope to find a solution for it )

now the OSes are installed but the video I referred to was made on an mbr disk (dumped this way )

so I tried installing chameleon on osx and I rebooted to be greeted by windows booting (bummer)

I am trying to make chameleon my bootloader but it does not appear at all even though I saw efi to be mounted on my desktop and unmounted

I tried the disk managment in windows to know witch partition is the active one but it failed to do so

I tried paragon hdd manager also and I see no active function on my guid hdd

anyway it does let me to active a partition my mbr usb hdd normally

strange is the activate key for guid differs from the mbr activation ??

if so then tell me how to fix it please !!

currently booting to osx from my usb

so far this is what I had accomplished regarding my triple boot system

it seems that windows 7 can boot perfectly fine from a guid partitioned disk on a uefi motherboard but I wasn't able to get mac os x with or without dual booting to boot from my hdd

I tried easy bcd 1.7.2 on my system and ended up doing repairing my boot manager via windows dvd oem disk

I even tried another easy bcd version 2.1.2 and was able to achieve a stable boot manager to boot both windowses but the mac os x setting was out of order

I checked its files in my c:\nst\boot\

and found two files

mac os x.mbr file

mac.iso image contains i386/boot0 and other files for booting and an extensions folder containing legacy kexts that doesn't work with my system

the filenames could be different because I don't remember the exact filenames

ok anyway I have to ask about partitions order on my hdd

do I have to put mac os x partitions at the first of the hdd or whatever order I like ?? is it obligatory ??

second : mac os x guid partition booting didn't work with me even when I used three ways of installing the chameleon boot loader

I used the pkg installer : not working (worked on mbr when I activated the partition after installation)

I tried the manual munky way but it didn't work

I also tried the script v3 for doing the boot files but this one caused so much damage to the windows boot manager that I had to repair the hole installation

right now I am installing the mac os x ml on the first partition in the guid partitioned usb hdd disk (two partitions 40gb each) and I am planing on installing windows 7 with it on the second partition

by the way I cannot change the active partition on this guid theme and I don't know how to

I know that windows will take over the booting when I install it so I will have to try installing chameleon into the usb hdd before windows

if anyone have some ideas that help please don't hesitate.......I need help ........

I finished installing ml on my usb hdd but then I shutdown then powered on my pc and then entered the usb boot menu and chose my ml hdd not in verbose mode (normal boot) and the same (you need to restart your computer appeared so I did restart my machine and got it working

anyway I was curious enough to redo my installation in verbose mode and then boot in verbose mode and I was stuck at this point

post-1058527-0-18751100-1345721325_thumb.jpg

OSX on separate USB HDD? Disable sata drive with windows on it in bios to get past NTFS. 3 separate NTFS volumes showing there, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Gen Files.

What order OS's are on disk shouldn't matter, and OSX can boot fine from MBR or GUID, it just doesn't like to be installed to MBR, but can be cloned to MBR and work fine without having patched OSInstal.mpkg. Setting of active partition is only to let BIOS know which partition it should look to for bootloader, as long as Chameleon is loading and not getting BOOT 0 error, no need to worry about it.

another problem also

I restarted and did the reach the welcome screen

when I do need to set my internet activity ip on my ethernet I seem to reset the wizard and the welcome screen appears again

I did do this thing many times alwasy the same result and I can only continue my installation only when I choose this computer is not connected to the internet

I reached the desktop and bluetooth keyboard greetz me and I do need to turn it off so I go to the bluetooth settings and remove the ticks in the two check boxes and I press ok but nothing happens

I think the bluetooth also stopped working eventhough in windows 7 it appears to work normally

I only did install lnx2mac kernel kext v0.90 to get my ethernet working and my ethernet works but bluetooth didn't .

help me please !!!!!!

my frien chameleon won't boot I only see the screen flickering and nothing happens

I can boot only from usb flash disk used to install the system

would need lot more info to even see if getting your bluetooth working is possible. To get past the it asking for one, it just needs any mouse and keyboard detected, so use USB one to set it up. Reinstall chameleon using the package installer to your OSX partition and copy the /Extra folder from your USB to your HD in same location at the root of the volume. It should then be able to boot from internal drive.

Does the Chameleon come up and then your boot fails, or do you get BOOT 0 error or boot straight to Windows? If Chameleon at least loads...copy the /Extra folder from your USB to your HD in same location at the root of the volume. It should then be able to boot from internal drive.

sorry for the tommorrow thing I didn't mean it

ok now I tried it on a clean installation but it didn't work

I was suspicious enough to mount efi partition to make sure it has the files as supposed but it was empty so I did another clean install and then I am going to install chmeleon one more time the manual munky way but I am not gonna format efi to hfs+

I will leave it as it is on fat32

why would you have reformatted EFI in the first place? what format is your usb stick in? probably a MBR with HFS+ volume, which obviously works fine. When installing chameleon manually, are you using dd if=x of=x command in terminal to copy boot0? if so and doing this along with setting partition active does not work, it may be a block size issue, where unmounting the hard disk before installing with dd command may be needed.

I found the problem why I can't boot into chameleon bootloader

the problem summerizes it self

MY SYSTEM IS A UEFI SYSTEM

apparently I chose the wrong boot loader to boot on a real gpt partitioned hdd

I am sorry to bring this bad news but apparently someone else had this issue on an older samsung notebook also and the guys over there spared him the trouble and offered him the most suitable bootloader which is ta tata trata tata ta taaaa:

CLOVER BOOT LOADER

I am gonna try that bootloader this week and report to you when possible

I am sorry for the inconvenience I made but I hope clover works with my situation

• 2 weeks later...

i cannot make the right config.plist file to use with it

i can make it boot from usb so far but it hangs after i press on my usb hdd to boot ml and then alot of dots in the refit v2 screen and then comes the hang !!

if any one can help i would appreciate it really !!

i will attach my config plist file if you want it

config.zip

Well, considering Clover is still in development, I know how to set it up to boot my hardware, but that's about it. Only things I could suggest would be simplify ACPI section and remove all but maybe generate P&C states. Chameleon can boot UEFI, if dual booting windows you need hybrid partitioned drive iirc. Don't quote me on that, going off memory for hardware I don't have, but I know I found something on how to do it on google b4 while helping another member with UEFI and were ale to get it all up and running. Since that was 6-7 months ago, I could only imagine that now there should be more info here and elsewhere available too.

ifire

good news

prepare your presidential chair for me

i can assure you i did it with great help from damazar and the holy aptio @ project osx

i can now boot osx from my uefi system with a real gpt usb with clover uefi and i reached the logon screen

NO MORE HYBRIDS EVER

if you can help me i do have a problem related to the keyboard and mouse not functioning at logon

but hey i did the first step

relly good though it needs alots of improvements

hope you can help

• 2 weeks later...

no one is here i guess

ok final thoughts about my Laptop

My Laptop is UEFI Capable but Samsung doesnt support GPT UEFI as well as MBR BIOS so i did my share of tests for it and found the following

1. you can boot from uefi by copying the efi\boot\bootx64.efi and whatever files you need to boot with CLOVER (thanks clover team) and ofcourse you will be rewarded with a semi-real mac book pro experience and faster boot times in every way but windows will be a nightmare for you as far as samsung support to its laptop is concerned ..

Thanks to Slice , apianti , damazar for their rapid responses and support .....

but i dumped the main idea cause i am sick with the lags and what so ever freezes and the counter-actions i needed to do ; I reached a dead end actually !!!

i couldnt enjoy a single boot from windows without having issues related to not having enough support from samsung

So ... What am i doing right now ????

I have successfully restored my recovery functionality using the bootable usb admin tool for SRS v 5.0.1.5 extracted from my laptop recovery partition

i did repartition the whole hdd using my recovery enviroment and then i was surprised by the fact it did a MBR partitioning cheme

well not that surprised...... i already knew i needed MBR

ok i did recover my system from scratches as they say and then one thing i noticed :

I have a system reserved partition with windows boot loader in it !!!!!

active ....... primary well thats good news !!! right ??

My question : Can i install chameleon to that partition without destroying the whole boot setup ?? (dont forget the recovery function)

my guess is that i cant so i am stuck at this point now

another question is this : if i am able to install chameleon to that partition ...... can I install mac os x (Lion or even ML) to a logical partition and boot via chameleon from it ??

My guess is not but i need to be answered by the forum ....

Help me If you can Please !!!

when you say mbr do you mean primary or logical

remember that chameleon is separated from it (i will not install it to the same partition)

EDIT : It appears that i can install osx lion or mountain lion on any partition logical or primary when i put the correct mbr patch for every installation

the problem occurs with the first logical partition in the extended part only !!!! (you cannot format it from installation ..... after you boot to mac os x you will see it unmounted and then you have to erase it in order to mount it again ...... strange huh !!! ...... well apple is apple no more talk about that !!

i also noticed that installing mac os x wont break windows mbr unless you erase your desired hdd partition to hfs+ through disk utility !!

ok i am stuck now at the dual boot between the logical chameleon partition and the primary active windows partition

trying to fix that soon

right now i can boot windows from hdd and the other mac os'es are still in denial

i hope i can fix that soon !!!

If it helps, OSX will run from MBR drive just fine, it just don't like to be installed to one, but once cloned to one from GPT, no problem.

can you please tell me about the update presedure i have to go through if i want to install hmmmm lets say 10.8.2 update on a 10.8 mbr (or 10.7.5 on 10.7 mbr) ??

• 2 weeks later...

ok now i get it

1. no one knows how to do it on my system ; thats ok but it took me alot of tries to get this thing working .

Right now i am very happy (thrilled actually ) to get my system to boot from its own drive

2. can anyone tell me how to hide multiple partitions in the chameleon boot loader ( i need to hide every partition except 2 partitions ; i.e. i have 10 partitions and all of them appears in chameleon boot screen !! )

3. i am still having problems during the first mac os x boot after a windows 7 session (lion or mountain lion )

It really bothers me !!! its getting annoying too

i already tried verbose mode and it seems to stuck or hang after loading every thing and when its ready to go to the logon screen it gets stuck so its not a kernel panic

it has something to do with either of AGPM kext or the ntfs drive scan feature in mac os x (these are the last things to be loaded before entering the logon screen )

here is the picture after loading windows :(first mac os boot)

post-1058527-0-72725800-1349077726_thumb.jpg

Here after the crash : (Second Boot)

post-1058527-0-69042100-1349079221_thumb.jpg

and if i load windows afterwards (third boot) (no matter if i shutdown or restart ; same result ) Nvidia graphic card (520mx 1gb ddr3) is missing from windows !! and no sign for it unless i do a restart to windows (Forth boot)

this cycle is stable now so i should get a fix for it (btw: chameleon's graphic enabler =yes OR no gives same result sometimes !!)

4. my wireless card ( intel wireless n-130 ) is it going to work or not ( if not i could consider replacing it next year after 1 year of warranty passes )

5. You can say that i have 50% of a Mac Book Pro ....... Yay but looking to complete this build

things that do work :

ram is ok , hdd partitions are ok (except the above boot mensioned problem ,,,, soon to be fixed) , intel hd3000 full qe/ci is ok with 384 mb of ram only (i wish if it had more...... like 512mb for example ,,,,,,, Is it possible ?? ) , camera is working too but i think it performs on a lower quality than windows (needs little tweaks but i dont know how so far ,,,, i might try isight uvc kext edit ) , keyboard and mouse ps2 both work basically ( multitouch function and most of the function combanations on my keyboard do not work ) , dvd drive is ok , Update is ok too (10.7.5 and 10.8.2 confirmed working well so far) , restart and shut down are ok no problems (after second boot) , usb is ok too 3 ports are functioning well

things that do not work :

ethernet ; i.e. realtek 81168 (i think i need a kext cause when i installed lion from uni****** it runs well) , bluetooth (intel v3.0HS) is there but not working ( although when i open system report i see it recognized ) , nvidia 520mx (oh my nvidia detected at boot unidentified ,,,,, i can swear that when i first did my mac os x lion install usb (using ###### 1.4 sorry but i had to mension it ) it was detected and viewed in mac os system report besides my intel ,,,,,,,, hmmm maybe i will install 10.7 again that way to make absolutely sure ) , sleep mode (cannot recover from it) , sound card (realtek alc269 works with voodoo 2.7.2 but KP on restart) , clock time also ( fixed ok now ) , wireless card (so far not supported) , SD card slot also not working

and other things that i dont remember but i will add when i figure it out ....

If any one can help please i will appreciate it ....

sniper9911

EDIT : i did some modification on 01/10/2012 so it would be clearer and more thorough

OK, first to answer other thread about the realtimeisuniversal.. Mac OSX Bootcamp time fix using RealTimeIsUniversal changes are made in Windows registry. For your hard drive hiding, use chameleon wizard to update org.chameleonBoot.plist and on the left there is option to hide them with a list of your partitions to choose from. Also here you can apply restart fix that may help. Patching of appleRTC may help as well. To sleep/wake you need power management working, so not using NullCPUPowermanagement and patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement along with maybe patched DSDT, see speedstep thread in the new releases and updates section. For ethernet, provide deviceID and vendorID and can look more, same with bluetooth, but pretty sure it won't work. alc269 can be enabled without voodoo using AppleHDA, again patched. I don't have one so not sure specifics, but there is pleanty here on the subject and believe user TimeWalker has posted some info

• Like 1