display goes off when AppleIntelFramebufferCapri is loaded

rr7

90 posts in this topic

not given up, just out of ideas.

small factoid though: whatever port is configured in the connector table, the first one (@0) is always given port number 0x0 in ioreg.

real port numbers i've been able to find are as follows.

0205 is 0x5

0304 is 0x6

0406 is 0x7

0503 is 0x8

0602 is 0x8 (vga apparently)

0100 is also 0x8 (not sure this is even a real port type, but this crashes the HD4000 kext if its not the first entry on the list.)

none of this seems important though.

i'd like to know, what does FBMem: 1 or FBMem: 2 refer to, and why?, how is this different from pipes?

also, there is a property called AAPL,DisplayPipe, and on my system the display is detected on port 0x7 always and it shows display pipe 00 00 00 00, all others are ff ff 00 00, on the IOreg i dumped from the retina macbook pro, the AAPL,DisplayPipe is set to 02 00 00 00

i dont see how i can change this in any way, as i cant seem to influence the properties of the framebuffers.

right now, on the whole, by and large, all things considered...i still have no idea whats going on.

Take a look at Fabio (ErmaC) and Slice's newly posted Clover tutorial. I have used it at a few different stages of development. Aside from it's ability to patch kexts durning boot, Fabio also gives a pretty good explanation about connector tables. Just another thing to play with and it shouldn't hurt anything to try

Take a look at Fabio (ErmaC) and Slice's newly posted Clover tutorial. I have used it at a few different stages of development. Aside from it's ability to patch kexts durning boot, Fabio also gives a pretty good explanation about connector tables. Just another thing to play with and it shouldn't hurt anything to try

i wiped the install and went from scratch, just using clover as the bootloader. it doesnt do anything i havent already tried, and i'm not sure i'd like it for a final solution, BUT, its a great toy for when you're experiementing!

the HD3000 connector info is great, i've been using the original post for that for some time. the info is for HD3000 though, and it seems that while the connector codes might well be the same, the starting hex values are not. so i know no more than we've already worked out on this thread.

i tried this on the other AIO i have for testing too, and that doesnt play ball at all, just as before. none of the ports seem active.

it doesnt look like there are any current drivers with source code for linux yet that we can look at either.

• 3 weeks later...

i've gotten hold of another thin-itx motherboard to go in one of the all in one chassis i have.

firstly, good news, it boots into gfx with acceleration. so the CPU is fine. interestingly, this one seems to report as being connected as hdmi, even though its LVDS. it doesnt need anything other than the platform id in order to work.

i intent to try this board on the other chassus to prove the panel is able to display.

all boards i have are using H61 chipset.

until i can continue however, i've hit another hurdle here that i simple cant work out yet. this new board, when it boots, it mostly hangs before it skips to the desktop, the last message i normally see is about am IO bluetooth being complete. the error isnt related to that though, its just the last message i normally see.

i've googled, and it seems a common problem, but there doesnt seem to be a common solution.

when i did notice is, that if i used the OEMSMBIOS plugin with fakesmc, this problem went away, then when i installed 10.8.2 update, it crashed, so i removed it, and now the problem is back.

• 2 months later...

well this episode still goes on, the other board in this chassis works fine as far as display goes but the two aren't completely interchangeable and I lose most peripherals. but it proves the panel itself is fine. I just tried the latest 10.8.3 beta and no change, it seems the framebuffercapri driver hasn't changed since initial release.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this thread is dead in the water, but I finally worked out what's going on!

my system has two display outputs, internal displayport and external VGA.

the system detects the displays and allocates the display pipe, but its using the wrong pipe. i was able to test this by hacking the VGA enabled and running that by itself, which resulted in garbled display in the built in screen, the OS reports the VGA monitor details, but that's not where it sends the picture.

right now port 04 06 uses AAPL,DisplayPipe 00 00 00 00, but it should use AAPL,DisplayPipe 01 00 00 00, and vice versa for 06 02.

unfortunately, I don't (yet!) know how to change this, but that's the problem, and that should solve it.

I may well have to post on other threads to get this answer, but i wanted to update this one and thank everyone again who's contributed thus far :)

I guess this thread is dead in the water, but I finally worked out what's going on!

my system has two display outputs, internal displayport and external VGA.

the system detects the displays and allocates the display pipe, but its using the wrong pipe. i was able to test this by hacking the VGA enabled and running that by itself, which resulted in garbled display in the built in screen, the OS reports the VGA monitor details, but that's not where it sends the picture.

I have exactly the same issue on my notebook using i5-3220M, the internal display and displayport work fine, but when i connect the VGA at boot, i get exactly the results you mentioned. If I find anything usefull to solve this problem will share here, please do the same, thx.

Thats what I currently use:

AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660003, Stolen RAM for FB: 64MB, Pipes: 2, Ports: 4, FBMem: 2
@0, 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 // (LVDS)
@1, 04 06 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00 // (HDMI) - DETECTED
@2, 06 02 00 00 01 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 // (VGA)
@3, 04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // (DisplayPort)

I have exactly the same issue on my notebook using i5-3220M, the internal display and displayport work fine, but when i connect the VGA at boot, i get exactly the results you mentioned. If I find anything usefull to solve this problem will share here, please do the same, thx.

Thats what I currently use:

AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660003, Stolen RAM for FB: 64MB, Pipes: 2, Ports: 4, FBMem: 2
@0, 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 // (LVDS)
@1, 04 06 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00 // (HDMI) - DETECTED
@2, 06 02 00 00 01 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 // (VGA)
@3, 04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // (DisplayPort)

does anything on my blog post help you out?

http://rr7blog.wordpress.com

does anything on my blog post help you out?

http://rr7blog.wordpress.com

There is a lot of good information (some new, some I knew), but idk how to apply it in a way to solve my problem (if its even solvable this way).

Just now I tried to connect both external monitors (vga and display port) and all 3 displays get detected (vga, dp, internal), the problem is that the VGA stays blank and i can see the artefacts and even more, i can see my XGA vga display getting pushed on my dp fullHD display. It appears like the driver is trying to push both signals trough DP ignoring the VGA output (could be a hardware limitation since i cant use all 3 displays at the same time in windows neither). But when i connect only the VGA the results dont change.

Its not compleatly impossible since here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283038-zenbook-prime-fixes-mods-tweaks-etc/

they got it to work, idk what/if they have any issues, but idk it coule be hardware dependent.

• 1 month later...

After answering some really really funny quizes i can post!

Well, with the appreciated help of kpkp and rehabman from tonymac, i need to know some things to get properly working mi i5 3320m hd4000 gpu.

i have a 6470b probook hp laptop. two users have the same machine. they uses the 08006601 aapl-id with a consequent dsdt patch and their capriFB patch (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx34ultxheqz3kn/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext.zip)

but when i boot normally, i get a kernel panic. I think is very rare because only appear the image "you need to restart" without a log "breaking" the gray background. When i boot with -x its boot fine, lvds and dp-to-vga works great, and console didn't show anything related to a panic. So i thinks is not a real kernel panic.

When i try other caprifb kext, it works, but only detects the internal display. I think that "kernel panic" is related only with caprifb

So i think i need to patch my own caprifb because i think my machine is sightly different of the other's.

Correct me if im wrong: i need to know my machine's native port configuration and then paste that information in the capri binary, with his structure?

After answering some really really funny quizes i can post!

Well, with the appreciated help of kpkp and rehabman from tonymac, i need to know some things to get properly working mi i5 3320m hd4000 gpu.

i have a 6470b probook hp laptop. two users have the same machine. they uses the 08006601 aapl-id with a consequent dsdt patch and their capriFB patch (https://www.dropbox....rCapri.kext.zip)

but when i boot normally, i get a kernel panic. I think is very rare because only appear the image "you need to restart" without a log "breaking" the gray background. When i boot with -x its boot fine, lvds and dp-to-vga works great, and console didn't show anything related to a panic. So i thinks is not a real kernel panic.

When i try other caprifb kext, it works, but only detects the internal display. I think that "kernel panic" is related only with caprifb

So i think i need to patch my own caprifb because i think my machine is sightly different of the other's.

Correct me if im wrong: i need to know my machine's native port configuration and then paste that information in the capri binary, with his structure?

Ok, all resolved. i take other capri kext that only worked with internal display and i added the 08006601 ports cfg from shpokas01 (tonymac) kext.

Also, i've found that the binary from shpokas01 is listed as a file (blank sheet icon), while the other is listed as a binary (gray terminal icon), its related with a problem?

Thanks all people

• 2 months later...

well, having tested the newest Ubuntu release, which no longer has the same display issues on my AIO, i'm guessing my issue is nothing more than a bug in the apple ivy bridge frame buffer driver, that simply never affects any real apple hardware, so its never been noted, nor will it probably ever need to be fixed.