Full Screen / Wake From Sleep Freeze with Nvidia Fermi GF108 & GF116 GPUs

KatieBug

7 posts in this topic

Installed ML without a problem and thought all was fine. I did not add or remove any graphic related kexts. Only using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist. Only kext changes made are: Patched the AppleRTC kext to get sleep working without bios reset, replaced AppleHDA with a patched version to enable Audio and installed kexts for Network, Wireless adaptor & USB3.0 and replaced IOUSBFamily.kext with one from MLDP3 (with the ML GM version, USB3.0 does not work).

Everything works perfectly - but OpenCL. I enabled OpenCL using the following Script in Terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

This enabled OpenCL. Tested with Oceanwave & Luxmark. Ran Cinebench & get similar (slightly better result of 39 fps) result as in Lion. Problem is (even before the Terminal script), Games that ran fine on Lion in full screen mode, give a blank black screen Some leave the arrow cursor on the screen with nothing else. I can play games in windowed mode, but full screen gives me a black screen that I can't get out of. (Most of my games are fullscreen only) Parallels works fine in Modality mode (also windowed) but when I go full screen, the screen breaks up into random squares with bits of the display all over like a messed up tile mosaic.

Unigine Heaven also works fine - in windowed mode, but same thing... black screen with an arrow cursor in full screen mode. Sleep: My machine goes to sleep, but when I wake it from sleep, the login box appears and flickers. When I enter my password, the screen is black.

Not sure what to try next. I have tried with only GraphicsEnabler=Yes, tried graphics injected into my DSDT with GraphicsEnabler=No, and Graphics enabler =Yes with UseNvidiaROM = Yes and added a compiled Video ROM file to Extra. (obviously used each on their own) All of these methods produce the same result (as above). Even tried both DVI ports ... in case!?! EDIT: Add EFI strings to the list... tried that too.

Could some kind soul please help? Games are no fun in wondowed mode - besides which, I always like to get full funcionality as far as possible.

Hi I have the same problems in ML with my GTX 560m in my G74SX laptop. I think we need to make some more test. In Lion all works fine except of course for the Fermi Freeze. If you find some answer please post it, and if I find something I'll do the same.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

You modified the OpenGLbundle with that perl script to activate OpenCL ... did you have the sleep / wake problems also without the modification ? Can be that the hex edit of the dylib can fuc*&^&%-ed up something else ?

You modified the OpenGLbundle with that perl script to activate OpenCL ... did you have the sleep / wake problems also without the modification ? Can be that the hex edit of the dylib can fuc*&^&%-ed up something else ?

Before using the script, I would not have been able to try games or fullscreen apps. All the script does is place the correct values in libclh.dylib to enable OpenCL, Nothing else. I tried wake from sleep way before that though. This issue , it seems, affects anyone using a GF108 or GF116 GPU. 550Ti happens to have a GF116 GPU. It seems that support for these chipsets may have either been dropped or the drivers have bugs in them. ALthough all else seems to be fine. Transitions and animations are really smooth and perfect. Even HD Video has a very smooth transition to full screen and back.

There are some real Mac users having the same issue on the Apple support forums. Some of the posts regarding these issues have been deleted by Apple. (they always do that!) The complaints are about Wake from sleep freezing their machine (black Screen), Freezes after coming out of monitor standby or certain apps freezing the machine in fullscreen mode. Pretty much the same experience I am having. The common denominator is the error message in Consol: (on real Macs too)

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

kernel[0]: 0000006e

Which repeats itself for as long as the machine is left running after wake from sleep / some full screen games or apps / monitor standby. Unigine Heaven causes this instantly if run in fullscreen, but not in window mode. At first it was thought to be AGPM causing the issue. But it goes beyond that. This has happened since MLDP1. In Lion, all is well. Been posting these issues on many boards, but no solution has been found.

Edited Post Title since this issue iappears to be affecting all cards using the Nvidia GF108 / GF116 chipset . Cards Known to be affected are the 430 / 450 / 550 / 620 and 630 range of Nvidia cards. Those that have posted positive results using any of these cards have said they are not using sleep and have not tried Unigine Heaven - some even claim that games run fine for them. Only one mac game I have plays fine full screen, but I get a blue screen when exiting the game.

DSDT injection of the GPU has fixed issues for the 450, 550, and 620 however the edit only worked for 1 of 4 450 tested, 1 of 2 550 tested and 1 of 1 620 tested. Seems to be both a kext issue and a rom issue on the GPU.

can you please share witch DSDT edits is needed to test on my GTX560M??

Thanks!!