Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

120 posts in this topic

Breaking News!

We have a fix to iCloud for Atom users! Again, it was meklort our hero! He included this fix in his latest kernel: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/kern...ocache.patched

100% tested working! This solved all my iCloud issues! Now i'm really enjoying Mountain Lion, and can say that my hackbook air is nearing perfection! Thanks to meklort again, and please spread the news and the link, so every atom user has it fixed for good!

• Like 3

LOL!

Sorry, buoo! I was totally clueless! I was using the one from Osx86.net. Then meklort told me about this one, when i was complaining about my iCloud suffering in an unrelated topic (about GMA3150:http://www.osx86.net/video-graphics/9447-gma-3150-a-21.html).

Anyway, let the world know that it fixes iCloud, hehehe!

• Like 1

With all these wonderful patched kernels out there, is there any hope for my geforce 7600 gs on ML ?

My project is to make it work only using chameleon enabler, so obviously i need a 32 bits kernel and a bit of patching...

Any clues ?

Anyway, reading the forums, i think i'm not the only one to have unsupported or too old harware so i would like to congratulate you all for the efforts and collaboration on this subject!

- - -

My hack:

10.6.8, trying to migrate to ML

Asus P5KR (ICH10R, jmicron sata/ide, atheros L1) 4 Go ram <- ML ok, except atheros (tried/edited several kext, no clues ???)

Q9550 <- ML ok

NVIDIA 7600 GS <- 32 bits kexts not working with ML

sound: Lsi firewire pci card -> Focuscrite Liquid Saffire 56 <- working great with Ardour, Logic, Cubase, Reaper.... on SL only for now.

One thing i really want to know, and if someone tell me, it will be much appreciated: so i get icloud set up in my computer. Where in the system this settings are stored, so i can save somewhere else if things go wrong? I mean, in what system folder? Because i looked up at /Library and /User/Library and found nothing. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for answer, but i'm afraid i was talking about a different thing: i wanna know where the system store the iCloud settings themselves, so i can retrieve, not the files stored in the cloud, but the settings of iCloud themselves if anything goes wrong.

• Like 1

Sorry for the misunderstood, i'm afraid i still have some deficiencies in english... (i'm french)

Do you have searched in /etc/ ?

When i want to edit / retrieve some deep or hidden global settings, it's the first place where i would search...

UPDATE: Have yiou red this ?

In fact, on my (non-working) ML partition, i do have a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity, i hope it answers your question...

Hi guys :)

I've made a little script to patch the Mountain Lion kernel.

It patches the mach_kernel in the root and makes a backup of the kernel on the Desktop.

Usage:

1) type chmod +x AtomPatcher.sh

2) open it with the Terminal

3) type the password

You are adviced to rebuild the kernel cache before reboot.

AtomPatcher v1.0.zip

All credits go to meklort, I'm just a kid that likes to help. :)

Tested with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 (beta 12B17)

• Like 3

happy to hear this, but are you thinking to use this kernel until the last mountain lion update 10.8.8? The patcher should work with the future kernel versions

I always like to be up to date, but not really experimenting too much kernel wise (had a few bad experiences before). But I'll give your patcher a try after backing up my install. Thanks again. :)

• Like 1

mtek, way to go, boy! You answered my question even before i asked, that is, if you updated the kernel or just used the same from 10.8... iCloud still works with this update without changing the kernel?

By the way, is this an official release of 10.8.1? Or is it a dev. seed instead? I went to the App Store and found nothing.

buoo, congrats! Meklort indeed developed the patch, but you're the one who guarantees everyone has access to it! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

mtek, way to go, boy! You answered my question even before i asked, that is, if you updated the kernel or just used the same from 10.8... iCloud still works with this update without changing the kernel?

By the way, is this an official release of 10.8.1? Or is it a dev. seed instead? I went to the App Store and found nothing.

buoo, congrats! Meklort indeed developed the patch, but you're the one who guarantees everyone has access to it! Keep up the good work!

10.8.1 is out for a few hours already - official public release. I've updated successfully all my hacks through software update.

About iCloud...errr...I'm affraid it never worked for my 1201n and I've tried pretty much everything since first installing 10.7 on it. Just good ol'server conection error.

UPDATE: Have yiou red this ?

In fact, on my (non-working) ML partition, i do have a folder ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity, i hope it answers your question...

Many thanks! I'll check it out and report back here! :)

10.8.1 is out for a few hours already - official public release. I've updated successfully all my hacks through software update.

About iCloud...errr...I'm affraid it never worked for my 1201n and I've tried pretty much everything since first installing 10.7 on it. Just good ol'server conection error.

mtek, i was at the same situation as you, remember? You even gave me welcome to the cloudless club. Just like you, i simply tried everything suggested since Lion to no avail.

It was this situation until some days ago, when, in an unrelated thread in another forum, meklort posted his latest kernel, a binary patch to the vanilla kernel, which buoo even posted here, but i didn't notice. I was using the one available in osx86.net, one that was a patch to the source of the vanilla kernel. As meklort explained, Apple doesn't give out all the osx features with the XNU source code, so the binaries are more accurate if one want to get the closest user experience possible in an unsupported piece of hardware.

Which kernel are you using, mtek?

P.S.: Here, there's no os update available at the App Store...

P.P.S.: Im talking about this one: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/kern...ocache.patched

If it's not the one you're using, please try it. It was my holy grail, and i was so frustrated about the subject that i was almost downgrading to Lion. Mountain Lion without iCloud was all trouble and no fun for me; now i'm really enjoying it.

• Like 2

P.P.S.: Im talking about this one: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/kern...ocache.patched

If it's not the one you're using, please try it. It was my holy grail, and i was so frustrated about the subject that i was almost downgrading to Lion. Mountain Lion without iCloud was all trouble and no fun for me; now i'm really enjoying it.

Thanks a lot for your post!

Since I've already upgraded to the current 10.8.1 official release I decided to give the 10.8.1 kernel posted here (meklort's) a try instead of the 10.8 I was using before and....BINGO!!! Finally iCloud is working!!! :) :)

Only "problem" I've noticed is that CPU activity seems to have increased a bit (iCloud services on the background?) and battery life took quite a hit - from regular 2h30 of normal use (the battery is far from new...) to less than 2h on a full-charge! It seems that it's true that ML with iCloud enabled at least impacts negatively on battery life which is unfortunate.

I send attached my current 10.8.1 iCloud working kernel - credits to meklort & buoo

Thanks to everyone!

mach_kernel_Atom 10.8.1(dev).zip

You're welcome!

Can i ask you a favor? Spread this tip! Specially in the 1201n sub forum, where people seems clueless and resorting to complicated methods to no avail, like both of us once did.

Thanks!

P.S.: mtek, you made an interesting point. In fact, your statement could be significant to all "real mac" Mountain Lion users, and even Apple itself.

Follow my reasoning: since 10.8, there's lots of reports of decreased battery life. 10.8.1 does not address that, meaning people in Cupertino are clueless yet. Why? Because probably they simply skip the obvious (yes, is quite obvious, now that you said that). The cloud services are running in background, huh? All the time. All the time consuming and consuming power. Why, again, would everything ignore the obvious? Because none of them runs mackintoshes with flawed patched kernels, they all run "real macs" where iCloud work seamlessly. If it works, and it works, everybody use it, and there's no parameter to compare. So, i'm afraid, this little cloud is building itself from the vaporization of every mac's battery life, lol.

Okay, the lines above were pure guessing. It won't surprise me, though, if they are right on the money.

• Like 1

Hi guys :)

I've made a little script to patch the Mountain Lion kernel.

It patches the mach_kernel in the root and makes a backup of the kernel on the Desktop.

Usage:

1) type chmod +x AtomPatcher.sh

2) open it with the Terminal

3) type the password

You are adviced to rebuild the kernel cache before reboot.

AtomPatcher v1.0.zip

All credits go to meklort, I'm just a kid that likes to help. :)

Tested with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 (beta 12B17)

Hi buoo,

Could you make a similar script for patching Lion (10.7) kernel?