OSX 10.5.8 boot partition moved from a Mac Pro 1,1 to a Mac Pro 4,1
The old Mac had ATI Radeon XT1900
The new Mac has nVidia GT120 and Quadro FX4800. The GT120 drives dual monitors, the FX4800 is there solely for CUDA computations.
- First, the partition would freeze during boot, at the gray spinning wheel. If I tried to boot in Safe mode I got a KP. The main culprit from the panic logs was NVDAResman.
- I moved NVDAResman out of S/L/Extensions, and was able to boot, with only one monitor being recognized.
- I installed nVidia retail drivers 18.5.2f16 + CUDA, and was able to boot w/ dual screens - but the menu bar is black, one screen runs at 2fps, and I get corruption in some system windows (garbled). I tried clearing boot & extension caches, didn't help.
The reason I want the above sw/hw configuration to work is that everything works fine in my other SL partitions - I need this 10.5.8 for legacy purposes, for a limited time. In a couple of months I hope to scrap everything and move to Lion/ML.
- Is the above OSX + hardware combination supposed to work in the first place?
- How do I figure out if it's the GT120 or the FX4800 that's causing the problem (ok I can pull it out and see :-) but wondered if there's a software way)?
- Any ideas how to fix it? Something between nVidia's kexts, boot.plist, com.apple.PCIE? I'm just not familiar enough with those frameworks. Should I install Chameleon on my OEM Mac?
- Is there an easy way to disable the FX4800 altogether in this partition (and would it help)? I could live without its functionality.
GeForce GT120 ven 0x10de devid 0x0640
Quadro FX4800 ven 0x10de devid 0x05fe