Arabic language font size

7 posts in this topic

Hey there, so, I'm Egyptian, so I thought about contributing a little to the Arabic forums. I'm experiencing 2 problems actually.

The first one is that the font is quite small. A readable Arabic font shall be about 16 (EDIT: 18 actually) (according to the forum's font size levels). The other problem is that:

أنا أحب InsanelyMac

shall actually be

InsanelyMac أنا أحب

Which means "I love InsanelyMac". Simply, the problem is that I have to write the English word first to let it be at the end of the sentence when I write in Arabic. This sucks when I use English terms between the lines. I know that this is common and it's not really easy to solve it, but I just thought about bringing it up here.

That's all what I ask for. Thanks in advance

:)

EDIT: There's also one problem. I can't find a single active local mod for the Arabic section :(

Has been in my todo box for a while, just never got round to it :P. I'll add a new skin for the RTL forums which will change the font size and hopefully fix the issue with mixing RTL and LTR languages. I seem to remember fixing it before somehow...

Just make sure you don't enlarge all the fonts. IMO, that will require a PHP script which takes a string as an argument, which is received through the "post" button, adds the required BBCodes for Arabic, then does the job. An option to enable/disable it would be awesome :)

For mixing stuff, I remember fixing it at phpBB by using a totally different edit box modification. I don't know how it's done in IPBoards though.

I guess you need to return the copyrights you deleted from there...

We're probably just going to have to go with enlarging all the fonts of the post. Having a few large words is probably better than having an entire post too small. There are ways of doing it for sure, however there is much to do and not enough time :P.

If you set dir="rtl" on the html element, it flips the Arabic and English of your post. If you can show me a sentence of English and Arabic interspliced with what it looks like in the forum and what it should look like, we can see if setting dir="rtl" corrects it.

We have a licence to remove the copyright, so it's not an issue for support.

Well, that would mess up with everything. Enlarging the font for one category of people and messing up with all other fonts is bad.

For the RTL thing, you can add it as a BBCode?

I still see that there's no single active local mod there btw :|

The skin will only apply to RTL forums so it won't much matter.

There hasn't been one for years, all moderating issues should be sent through the Report Center so they can be dealt with by a global mod. site issues can be posted here.