Which Wireless Card

Shaneee

10 posts in this topic

Which wireless card would be the best to but that works on either Lion or Mountain Lion. I have Mountain Lion installed just now but the card my laptop currently has is not supported at all.

Links to ebay would be great for working cards with Lion or Mountain Lion..

Thanks.

Thanks but its not available to the UK. Can't seem to find another :(

Not available in the UK? The seller was in Hong Kong, and says right on it that they ship to UK, Canada and Australia, but can take 30 days in September, and it's June so should be 2 weeks, your probably closer than I am :( Not that it's the only choice as LatinMcG pointed out, but I do have 2 of them, one in real macbook and one in my desktop hack with mini pcie to pcie 1x adapter and both work great, and I get to use all 3 antennae on the adapter card, need the extra range to connect to router that's almost a foot away :) AR5B91 is a bit newer card, then there is the AR5BXB112 which just looks cooler http://www.amazon.com/AirPort-Extreme-Atheros-AR5BXB112-Dual-Band/dp/B00881PHO2/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340370383&sr=1-39&keywords=apple+airport+card

Not available in the UK? The seller was in Hong Kong, and says right on it that they ship to UK, Canada and Australia, but can take 30 days in September, and it's June so should be 2 weeks, your probably closer than I am :( Not that it's the only choice as LatinMcG pointed out, but I do have 2 of them, one in real macbook and one in my desktop hack with mini pcie to pcie 1x adapter and both work great, and I get to use all 3 antennae on the adapter card, need the extra range to connect to router that's almost a foot away :) AR5B91 is a bit newer card, then there is the AR5BXB112 which just looks cooler http://www.amazon.co...le+airport+card

This is what it says,

Postage and packaging

Item location: China, China

Postage to: Worldwide

Excludes: Ireland, Italy, United Kingdom

Looking for a reasonably cheap card as don't want to spend too much on it.

huh, odd list of exclusions. Anyway the card LatinMcG mentioned as well at that one I linked on Ebay, and the one I linnked on Amazon are all three available through Amazon for max of $30 US for the AR5BXB112 with the other two right around $20. Just search for "apple airport card" if you aren't having any luck using the "AR" part numbers. If any of the results only use the super long apple part number with no letters in it, just cross search it on google to find out what the atheros part # for it is. I'm less familiar with the Broadcom models that apple also uses, but any apple branded card SHOULD work out the box

they also usually have used ones available for $5-$10 less. I personally don't see an issue with going used if it's been tested first. It's not a part subject to much wear and tear, as in none.

huh, odd list of exclusions. Anyway the card LatinMcG mentioned as well at that one I linked on Ebay, and the one I linnked on Amazon are all three available through Amazon for max of $30 US for the AR5BXB112 with the other two right around $20. Just search for "apple airport card" if you aren't having any luck using the "AR" part numbers. If any of the results only use the super long apple part number with no letters in it, just cross search it on google to find out what the atheros part # for it is. I'm less familiar with the Broadcom models that apple also uses, but any apple branded card SHOULD work out the box

they also usually have used ones available for $5-$10 less. I personally don't see an issue with going used if it's been tested first. It's not a part subject to much wear and tear, as in none.

Thanks for your help mate. Side note your PC looks amazing lol...

Is this one fine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Macbook-Pro-A1226-Wireless-Airport-card-/190693757178?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item2c663bd0fa

I noticed it has three connections at the top but the laptop only has two. One black and one white.

Yup, usually don't see them with the plastic covering still on, but you can take it off, and using 2 wires is not a problem as far as I know. Might need to double check which 2 terminals on the card to hook them up to, but info should be easy to locate. Can't beat that price either, $12.45 US at current exchange rates!

Thanks for the compliment too!