Help installing Snow Leopard on custom AMD desktop

6 posts in this topic

A week ago I installed snow leopard on my 1005HA netbook and it is running perfectly but I could do with a bit more speed. I have a desktop that is currently running windows 7 and I am trying to install snow leopard on it using iATKOS s3 v2. I know AMD isn't supported that well for running os x but I have heard of it being done so I wanted to give it a shot. I did some research and found a post about someone else that did this on a different website and he had the same hardware except he had a Nvidia GT240 and I have a sapphire radeon hd4670.

The options during the install he checked were...

Chameleon v2 rc4

graphics enabler

extra directory

fake smc

disabler

rtc

qoopz 10.3.0

evo reboot

AHCI Sata

Voodo HDA

Apple HDA 10.6.2

RTL8168

I was wondering what I should choose different from this to get it to work with a ati radeon hd4670 instead of his Nvidia card. I am kind of new to this so if you could help that would be great, I really want to get this working.

My full system specs are

-Asus M4A785-M motherboard

-8GB DDR2 667MHz memory

-AMD Athlon 2 X3 435 overclocked to 3.6GHz

-Sapphire Radeon hd4670 1GB

-120GB hard drive to install OS X on

thanks

The first question I would have for you is which version of Lion are you trying to install?? Are you going to try and install it via USB or Disc or which media are you choosing. Secondly do you have an existing Hackintosh to create a bootable USB Drive? You are going to need an working Mac of some sort in order to create a Flash drive. Do you know anything about adding kext or kernel patching. Check out this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279291 It may help you get farther than I have as I am not sure how to patch a kernal as there is a kernel that was created (as far as I know it is an ongoing project and not completely working at this time) but is not perfected yet.

Sorry about asking about Lion Bob...I meant Snow Leopard. The questions would be the same. You can install 10.6 with the actual Disc,if you have it. I personally tried to use Iatkos about a year ago(the Lion version) without any success at all...I tried it on both AMD and Intel systems but it NEVER worked for me. I installed 10.6.0 using the actual Snow Leopard disc(which I turned into a dmg file) and it was CAKE!!!

I have a netbook hackintosh running snow leopard. The disk I want to use is the iATKOS s3 v2 and it is burned to a dvd. The main thing im not sure about is what options to choose for the graphics card which is a sapphire radeon hd4670. like some places say graphics enabler is only for Nvidia and some places say it works with ati, i dont know which patches to select during the install, tomorrow when I get back from school I will try installing a few times with different options to see if i get anywhere.

I e-mailed the admin of the site that the link did not work properly. He has it fixed now. Also I have had successfully (finally!!!) installing Niresh's 10.7.3 V2 on an AMD system. I will post pics and how I did it tomorrow. I probably will have to start a new thread about it. Have you thought about using a distro like Niresh's Lion. Just asking as I have a perfectly working Snow Leopard Hackintosh on an AMD system running 10.6. When I try combo update 10.6.5 I can no longer boot into it so I have just left it at the 10.6.

When you go to the Links page...its now working, check the second link from the top. If you download and use the tool listed there it has kexts that can be installed through its program. My advice would be to use time machine FIRST,THEN make changes.