5870 high fan speed, complicated Boot up

joecracker

10 posts in this topic

Maybe you can answer my question. :help:

Maybe I can answer your question if you have a similiar system and dont get it running. :)

System:

IATKOS L2 10.7.4

Chameleon Bootloader

DSDT patched

Core i5 2400k

Intel DH67GD Mainboard (newest BIOS)

4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM 'Corsair XMS3' (normally: 12GB)

Powercolor AMD/ATI HD5870 1024MB

KEXTS in attached files

KEXTS in attached files

Ive got two problems on my new selfmade Powermac G5 mod :) (pictures may follow if you want)

First: My 5870 is recognised and works perfekt. But the fan is very loud and the GPU gets hot (idle 70°C). Games like Diablo3 run perfekt, too. I guess its a sensor problem. Do you have any idea how to fix it?

Second: I crashed my system and restored it with TimeMachine. Now Im only able to boot up with DVD, then F8 and entering "rd=disk1". Is there a method to fix it under OSX?

I would be very happy about any response. I feel very alone with my problems right now :(

regards

post-1021577-0-14481700-1339240038_thumb.png

post-1021577-0-49066600-1339240036_thumb.png

post-1021577-0-10264600-1339240040_thumb.png

post-1021577-0-18325800-1339240041_thumb.png

post-1021577-0-16612200-1339240041_thumb.png

Nope, its not the cooling! Ive been running the 5870 for two years under Windows7. And on my first installation without kexts (didnt read the whole manual :angel_not:) the fans worked properly for a short time. Its so loud right now that you can hardly think about how to fix it :wink2:

Edit: Fan goes only crazy when ATY_Init.kext is installed. Im on this :-D

you do not need aty_inject, 5870 if reference design will run otb, no injectors or graphics enabler needed. That said, I still use GraphicsEnabler=Yes so I can manually set the framebuffer to ATIConfig=Uakari and ATIPorts=4 for all the ports to work and DVD player to work. Also if you post list of kexts actually running instead of the contents of your extensions folder, can verify all the right ones are getting loaded, also what is the device ID for your card, if it's 6898 your all good.

• Like 2

I understand your first part. Thats why I removed ATY_Init.kext now.

6898 is right, too.

When I remove ATY Init my about mac only says ATI 5000 Series (not 5870 1024MB), Diablo III still runs with perfekt FPS and fans are quiet. Steam games dont run at this time (still wondering why).

What about these kexts:

- ATI Support

- ATI Framebuffer

- ATI 5000 Controller ?

Thanks for your reply eep!

Edit: Could you please tell me what kexts you use to run the 5870

tryin a clean new install.

Update:

I reinstalled IATKOS L2 and did not install anything graphics related. It still says only ATI 5000 Series in system info, but works good now.

Only problems so far:

- HDMI full screen flickering screen in 3D applications. (with DVI its ok)

- Steam games don't start.

The ATI 5000 in about this mac is "mostly" cosmetic. Haven't played a steam game is forever but still got the fix 4 u!

add this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

And all will be right with the world.

unless you don't have 4 port card

• Like 1

You are the man! It works perfectly right now. I don't know what I would have done else :-) The internet is so full of {censored} and you gave me just the right solution. Gonna do a time machine backup now to save my perfect stable OSX 10.7.4 :-)

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like this right now for any googlers. (Deleted the DSDT part)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>npci</key>
<string>0x2000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• Like 1

:thumbsup_anim: Might I also recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner to keep a full bootable clone, then time machine for more of a automated, maintenance type backup(if that makes sense) Time Machine Editor is also great to pick your own Time Machine backup intervals so it's not running every hour. Oh, and move npci into the kernel flags string like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000</string>

and changing UseKernelCache to yes for faster boot times, all after you back you stuff up first :)