Using my Carbon Copy Cloner Backup on Hackintosh

shadow288

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to set up a hackintosh installation the next weeks and for the moment I own a Macbook Pro 13".

Also I have a weekly carbon copy backup of my Mac. The question is, can I use this Backup to restore my files on the new hackintosh installation, or do I overwrite important files, i think so.

Do anybody of you have experience with this topic?

You should have no problem doing this, I boot from CCC backups quite often.

1. Create your CCC backup, just use default settings

2. Install Chameleon to the CCC backup

3. Create the directory /Extra

4. Find/write a suitable smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and place them in /Extra/

5. Research your hardware and install necessary kexts to /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (only use /E/E if you are using <10.7, for 10.7 and later all kexts must be placed in /S/L/E)

6. Use 'Kext Wizard' to rebuild caches and repair permissions on the target partition

7. Boot your hack, at chameleon type -v and press enter, see what happens. If the system kernel panics use the verbose output to find the cause. If in doubt, take a photo and post it here asking for help.

• Like 1

So you mean I have to edit my original mac osx installation on my backup drive and if I get no errors, I just copy them over to my main hard drive then?

It's only theoretical for now, haven't bought the parts for my hackintosh hehe. But thank you for your reply sir! Helped me alot!

• 2 months later...

You should have no problem doing this, I boot from CCC backups quite often.

1. Create your CCC backup, just use default settings

2. Install Chameleon to the CCC backup

3. Create the directory /Extra

4. Find/write a suitable smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and place them in /Extra/

5. Research your hardware and install necessary kexts to /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (only use /E/E if you are using <10.7, for 10.7 and later all kexts must be placed in /S/L/E)

6. Use 'Kext Wizard' to rebuild caches and repair permissions on the target partition

7. Boot your hack, at chameleon type -v and press enter, see what happens. If the system kernel panics use the verbose output to find the cause. If in doubt, take a photo and post it here asking for help.

Hi JamesLittler,

Just saw your post and have a question about it.

"5. Research your hardware and install necessary kexts to /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (only use /E/E if you are using <10.7, for 10.7 and later all kexts must be placed in /S/L/E)"

Why 10.7 and later must be in /S/L/E ?? Why I ask this, because I have a box which installed some kexts on /E/E, and it seem no problem at all.

Could you share your experiences ?

Thanks,

Dino

Because If you declare UseKernelCache=Yes only kexts from S/L/E are loaded.

If you do not declare UseKernelCache=Yes all kexts are loaded on every boot rather than using the cache. This makes boot times very slow.