• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

Dmos

Dmos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:LOT OF THINGS .......BUT I DON`T KNOW ANYTHINGS.

MANUAL MODE FTW B) B) Who agrees? (Raise your hands) *raises hands*

Always :thumbsup_anim:

heymang

heymang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

That is because we are not after money. We want people to be able to install OS X on their PCs.
True, we prefer retail, but I have always refused to forbid distros. When tonymac says that using distros is piracy, he is a big hypocrite.
Whatever method you use, if you buy a copy of OS X from Apple, you are not committing a criminal offence. You are in breach of EULA, which is a private contract between Apple and you.
Of course tony doesn't like distros, because they are so easy nowadays that even a child could install them. Well, that would destroy his business, of course.

People are desperate for a decent OS. That isn't Windows 8 (or any other version of Windows for that matter), nor Linux with so many problems (don't believe me? Try Fedora 18), but for many it is OS X.
Ideally, you'd buy a Mac. But many can't afford it, don't want to spend the money or simply like a challenge.

well said!

:clap:

DrAndi

DrAndi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I just did both of the beginners quizzes just to post on this topic-

Yeah I asked for help on tonymac today, and a guy named Rehabman was kind enough to respond moments later!

He asked to add my sys details in a signature, after doing so I was banned for some kind of piracy....(probably because I wrote that the boot loader was Niresh, and as if NIRESH condones piracy, the site on tonymac probably never heard of Apples opinion to installing OSX on stranger hardware.....).

Kinda sucks, I would really have loved help in that specific topic.

Lordadmiral Drake

Lordadmiral Drake

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Yeah I asked for help on tonymac today, and a guy named Rehabman was kind enough to respond moments later!

He asked to add my sys details in a signature, after doing so I was banned for some kind of piracy....(probably because I wrote that the boot loader was Niresh, and as if NIRESH condones piracy, the site on tonymac probably never heard of Apples opinion to installing OSX on stranger hardware.....).

Post your question on this site, Rehabman is here too

Jithin Chandran

Jithin Chandran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Woow.... I Got suspended from tonymac without proper reason. I am always trying to help others to clear their issue with maximum right solutions. I don't know why they suspended me.. And the big comedy is the reason for suspension.. "Disregarding Forum Rules and Policies by responding to posters using distributions or pirated versions of OS X.". Till now i had not postes any thing regarding the pirate version OS X.

SRSR333

SRSR333

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Back when OS X releases were not free (i.e. Mountain Lion and earlier), Niresh and similar packages like iAtkos were (still are) called distros, and packaged the OS X installer and several drivers, mods, and other not-very-friendly and unnecessary patches and hacks into a "convenient" single file that you just had to unpack into a USB drive, boot, install and get going.

This was, in essence, piracy as a paid-for software was modified and re-distributed for free, and thus follows one of tonymacx86's more sane, less authoritarian rules: distros are piracy, and anyone using or discussing using them will be banned. If I understand correctly, users here are also strongly discouraged from using a distro and anyone found using it are warned by mods, and subsequent mentions could result in a suspension or ban (moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong). Mere discussion about their existence, function and history is allowed and perfectly alright.

Although OS X is now free, distros still have that air of piracy about them as they can typically only be found at BitTorrent sites like TPB and KAT. It's one short step from an automated USB creator tool (#####) to an automated installer, to a pirated distro. Furthermore, they modify the OS X base which technically isn't allowed. Manually created installer drives merely unpack the official app into the drive and add a bootloader.

I recommend you clean out your drive and install OS X manually, using pokenguyen's excellent guides here. Don't use distros, please.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,366 posts

If I understand correctly, users here are also strongly discouraged from using a distro and anyone found using it are warned by mods, and subsequent mentions could result in a suspension or ban (moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong). Mere discussion about their existence, function and history is allowed and perfectly alright.

Only users mentioning paid distros, like iATKOS M and Y are acting against the forum rules. I have always resisted the call to ban distros. Users should be left free to have as much choice as they wish. I believe that calling distros "piracy" and other methods not is hypocrisy. Whatever you do you are in breach of EULA, But if you own a legitimate copy of OS X  you can't call it "piracy"

SRSR333

SRSR333

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

...Whatever you do you are in breach of EULA, But if you own a legitimate copy of OS X  you can't call it "piracy"

That's exactly what I'm saying - the only way to own a 'legitimate' copy of OS X is through the App Store. Hence distros aren't legit, are they? But I get your point - whatever we do, if we're installing OS X on a non-Apple-branded machine, it's in breach of the EULA, so it doesn't really matter. 

OSBeast

OSBeast

My attitude isn’t bad. It’s in beta.

• Donators
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:X-Plane 10
    Coding
    YouTube

Languages : BG, DE, GB/US

Im not a friend of distros in any way because their boot up time sucks

happy hacking

OSBeast

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Cats

I wonder how long it will take for tonymacx86 to steal my latest project:

http://www.insanelym...-lan/?p=2107186

I'd love to scratch him with my claws. :cat:  

Mieze

luxinhaus

luxinhaus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

wont be that long for sure :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy