Ati HD4850 Hdmi working but not Audio?

CrazyELF

9 posts in this topic

I useing this card have full hdmi rez..thourgh dvi_Hdmi Dongle but is there a way to activate the Audio from it as well?

Run Os x 10.7.3

In widows 7 have fill rez and Audio through Hdmi so I know it suports it..

Thanks In advance

You need to do a DSDT edit to get the audio enabled. I psted in some thread somewhere about it I'll try looking for it or if I give up finding it I'll direct you on how to get it working.

I have a the same gpu btw just a sapphire brand and hdmi audio works nicely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Doing sine research, I found that some newer gpu cards do indeed have the ability to send sound through their DVI ports. I apologize for my uninformed statement. However, mac has yet to implement a gpu that allows this, and I haven't seen anyone getting this to work on an osx86 build yet. Might just have to play the waiting game.

Via DVI you say? I never knew DVI had the capability of pushing audio as well as video in one signal I always thought it to be only able to send video but that could of course change with newer DVI technology. I personally like using hdmi because the cable is much slimmer than the DVI but that's totally personal preference.

It is some ati and nvidia cards that advertise the ability to  use a DVI to hdmi adapter to send audio through an hdmi cord to a tv/target that allows audio and video through hdmi. However, if you're not utilizing that adapter, it still is impossible to transmit sound through DVI using a DVI cord.

maybe via a switch DVI & audio ?
that's not exactly what they are trying to accomplish. That adapter/splitter utilizes two separate cords to transmit audio and video separately. The op is trying to figure out why sound isn't going through the adapter using a single cord while using Osx, when it works that way in windows.

Via DVI you say? I never knew DVI had the capability of pushing audio as well as video in one signal I always thought it to be only able to send video.

it certainly has more than enough separate connections in the cables to support full hd and up to 7.1 surround