Activated Win7 Partition, Then Activated back Mac OSX Partition but it wont Boot.

xeikon

3 posts in this topic

Hello:

Resuming Tittle: MacOSX Partition wont boot after being reactivated (activated Win7 Partition and then activated back MacOSX partition, but then after, it wont boot anymore. Win 7 boots directly)

I have a DELL Inspiron 1525 Laptop with 1 HD and 3 Partitions:

Partition 1: Win7 Ultimate 64 Bits.

Partition 2: Mac OSX 10.5 (Chameleon Active Partition to be able to boot MacOSX or Win7)

Partition 3: Mac OSX 10.5 (small Partition mirror of the firstone for Back Up purposes)

So here is the problem: I wanted to update Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit to Service Pack 1 but the system wont do it because the Win7 Partition was not the active partition. So I got a "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Pro Advanced Recovery CD" and clear the MBR. In that way Win7 booted directly and fine. I updated it and every thing went great with Win7.

So, to boot again from the second MacOSX Chameleon Partition I did what I thought will work as good as always:

As stated here: [How to] Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk in MacOSX - InsanelyMac Forum

To make it short, in the terminal with an Installation OSX DVD:

- diskutil list (to get Disk and Partition Number)

- fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

- Type p

- type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

- Type write

- Type y (yes you are sure)

- Type exit (to quit)

BUT !!!! Even when the second Mac OSX partition got Activated correctly and checked many times, It doesn´t boot Mac and directly boots Win7. No Chameleon or anything, it directly boots Win7. Mac OSX is in the second partition working full correctly. No problems at all with it, but it just wont boot even when being the active partition.

I got an ###### DVD to boot the activated Mac partition, but when I try to do it I get a Kernel Panic Error. It says:

Unable to find driver for this platform: \ "ACPI\".\n"@/Extra/Builds/xnu/xnu-1456.1.26/iokit/kernel/IOPlatforExpert.cpp:1393

Even when this is an error, I don´t think (or may be I don´t know) it is directly connected or is the reason for the failure of the booting process.

Please Help !!!! I hope anyone can help me. I think I have to find a way to recover my boot record as it was before.

Thanks in advance.

Xeikon

Yup, you can't activate broken. Windows will nuke any other boot loader on same disk. Even win7 and win8 will cannibalize each other's boot loaders. Whoever's installed last wins.