14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Some of you might have encountered this errors
boot0:error ,

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: GPT

your forced to boot with a modcd to able to boot into ur system .so here is an easy solution to fix it :) i don t take the credits for this tutorial but i thought this would be useful so posting here.there are methods by using complicated terminal commands using sl dvd etc but this is the easiest method for successfully getting the chameleon boot screen.sorry for the long post but its explained in detail and i hope it noob friendly :)

causes:
after intensive research and reading and searching i found out that chameleon are able to write disks with 1k sectors successfully.The newer wd hdds have 4k sector format so chemeleon is unable to write henceforth the error.and might be other causes too .. :)

how do i fix it:
what u need is a Linux cd/dvd any but i prefer ubuntu its has an easy interface..u can get it from here

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

i would advise u to download 64bit if have win 7 64bit already installed to be on the safer side..32 bit can also be downloaded :) burn it to a cd/dvd..
IF you don t have a dvd drive some don t !so don t worry u can always use your trusty old flash stick to do the job for u :) u can use unetbootin to boot via flash drive

once you have done that,restart and go to bios change set boot device to cd/dvd drive save and exit if u use usb change to usb mass storage or usb hard disk which ever is relevent :)
and boot into ubuntu

you will be greeted with the nice interface try ubuntu or install click on try and u ll get the desktop

wait for a few secs for all the desktop items to load then once its on the left hand side u can see a search icon click on it and type gpart
u will get gparted icon click on it and wait till it shows all the drives..

identify ur mac os x drive my installation name was mac hdd.Towards the right u can see /dev/sda(number) in my case it was sda3 yours maybe different. note this somewhere.
download this boot1h file save it to flash drive if your on windows firsthand u will need it later on :)

boot1h.zip

click on home icon and the u can see your flash drive click on it and copy boot1h and then paste in home folder

once copied close home folder click the search icon again to find terminal click on it and type the following command

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda3 bs=4096

replace sda3 with the one u noted already sda3 was in my case my os x hard drive yours maybe different
press enter u will get 0+1 ..downloading at 1.3mb/s once done shutdown/restart and you will be greeted with chameleon boot screen

hope this helps :)

• Like 12

• 3 months later...

Got hit with it on ML install to Hitachi 1TB also Vertex4 128GB SSD. I mucked about with the boot app, trying various versions of Chimera and Chameleon, checked the BIOS all over, then finally did a google and found your solution. Glory be! As a Linux user I was very pleased to find another use for it. Take a look at Mint, a great refuge for Unity non-lovers; remember that Mint started out as a modest mod of Ubuntu but now is quite grown up and apparently more popular than Ubuntu. Cinnamon is my favorite version.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

nice to hear that it worked for you :) i quit modding my laptop with mac os x now on pinguyOS a derivative of ubuntu it gives me the feel of mac os x and windows together :) and it serves my purpose!when i buy a desktop it will include mac os x :) updating guide to include usb booting

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You can do this using basically the same command with OS X as well. Though I suppose the reason you made this for Linux is because this error would lock many people out of their OS X install. Not to mention the fact that Linux is also universal and would even work for those people without an OS X install handy. Linux does rock something awesome. Anyways, just wanted to point that out. Nice guide. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well you have the installer you have booted and installed already so boot it again with the boot1h contained on it and instead of installing in the Utilities menu select terminal and since you will be root.

dd if=/Volumes/Install\ OS\ X/path/to/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk?s?

You get the disk by using diskutil list before the dd command this way no tools other than what you already have needed. Hell far as that goes since you obviously will have already booted into the install with the Chameleon boot disk/installer so you can go to the Utilities folder Terminal.app and add sudo to the command and run it from the GUI. Nothing easier than this..

Edit: To get the boot1h file you should go into the /Extra/usr/standalone/i386 (path may be wrong check your install) directory on the install that way it is guaranteed to match the version of Chameleon you have installed.

• 1 year later...