Missing search feature in 1.2 firmware for 5g?

Magicman

10 posts in this topic

Anyone have a real answer on the missing search feature in 1.2 firmware for 5g?

It's supposed to be able to let you search for music by selecting letters with the pad...... I've tried it on the ipod nano at the store and it's pretty cool. 5g is supposed to have it now....... maybe it's only going in the new ones...... if that's true I'm pissed....... Apple adds games to the 5g (because it's a money generator) and leaves out a really useful free feature...... pretty lame if you ask me......

Magicman

ive been thinking that all day cuz i updated my sisters (mine belongs on my computer but its currently broken so i dont wanna risk an update deleting verything) and i realized that too last night. I really don't think they implemented into the 5g, which is lame on their part cuz I've been waiting for that for a while, imagine trying to remember what artisit does a song in a library of 10,000 songs.... pisses me off really bad sometimes.

The games are cool.... I ended up buying them all even though I already had pacman with rockbox (alternative firmware for several different mp3 players)

It has pacman (you need pacman rom images for emulation) doom, tetris, a arkanoid clone, chess, bubble bobble clone and several other really good games in it...... I even added a patch and compiled my own version of rockbox that lets me play MOD files....... if any of you know what a mod file is then you are really into some alternative music sources like me......

Rockbox doesn't do music all that well yet for the ipod, it plays the music fine but if you try to use any of the audio enhancements in rockbox your music will have pauses in it, it's still not optimized for the ipod yet but that's why I dual boot using the Ipod Linux bootloader. I removed linux because I honestly don't have any need for it. I just like the bootloader that let's me select either apple os or rockbox on boot.

Still pissed about the search feature..... I went to the Apple store and asked them about it and they had no clue..... Retail sales clerks suck.....

I didn't mind paying for the games for the ipod... they are really good quality..... it's the only money I ever spent in Itunes..... 4000 songs on my ipod so far and none from itunes..... I love the new Itunes.... oh so many features..... I really like the mass deauthorize.... I had reformated my pc several times and was on my last authorization.... it let me wipe all that out and start all over.

Magicman

I wonder if taking the firmware off of a newer 80gig ipod and flashing it on a 60 gig ipod would make the search feature activate...... from what I understand the hardware is the same except for the display being brighter......

Interesting thought......

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand the firmware is identical between old and new ipods.... I'm guessing that there's a check in the firmware for a hard drive type or maybe the display type since it's a new display to see if that feature should be active. I ended up selling my 60 gig on ebay and got an 80 gig.... only problem now is that I cannot use Rockbox or Ipod Linux until they get it working with the 80 gig..... oh well.....

The only thing I noticed that was different on my 5G was when Im scrolling through my library really quickly a box pops up with the letter that Im currently at. Its pretty cool, and slick looking. Is this what you are talking about?

What that is, if you scroll fast enough it'll start jumping to the first entry of the next/previous letter depending on which way you are scrolling. Making it faster to navigate... It only shows up when you are scrolling fast... If you scroll slow then it won't show up. It takes some getting used to to get the feel just right.

The search feature lets you enter letters and words to search for... So if you want to find a song and you don't know the artist. You can enter the song title in and it'll find it. Or you can enter the artists or really any word you like. It's a neat feature since I just put all of my 8000 songs on my ipod. It only works right now on the 5.5G ipods and new Nano's.....

Magicman

the search feature is only available for the new ipods, you won't get it on the older ones, even with the firmware update. when you are scrolling through the list of songs or whatever, youl will get a letter popup on the screen for faster navigation.