G5 PSU mod to fit ATX PSU?

Blah101

6 posts in this topic

So I know that some mods out there include taking a normal PSU and fitting it into the G5 enclosure. My brother, who knows a little more about this than I do, said doing that is very dangerous. However, I keeping thinking how great that would be to do one. I wanted to know how hard/dangerous it really is. Are there any detailed guides out there? Anyone with experience in this area give me some help?

I've done this my self. Theres no much to it other than make sure everything is connected properly.

I used the original G5 psu chassis with new 6 mm fans (revoltec I think). Make sure the psu itself is grounded and well insulated from the chassis.

I've read theres a possiblity that the PSU holds charge (even if its unplugged) and you could get an electrical shock while working with it. I dont know if this is true. You could check the net for more information

I've done this my self. Theres no much to it other than make sure everything is connected properly.

I used the original G5 psu chassis with new 6 mm fans (revoltec I think). Make sure the psu itself is grounded and well insulated from the chassis.

I've read theres a possiblity that the PSU holds charge (even if its unplugged) and you could get an electrical shock while working with it. I dont know if this is true. You could check the net for more information

When you say grounded and well insulated, what do you mean?

• 4 months later...

I want to keep the PSU in the bottom, as that is where it was orginally, and if I move it to the top, then I move the HDD caddy, and then deal with that mess. So I seem to have two real options: take apart a fan-mounted-on-the-top ATX PSU and place it in the shell of the orginal LiteOn 600w TeslaConverter - OR - use a 1U PSU and place it in that same cavity. I can find 1U PSUs that go all the way up to 600+watts, but they are spendy. Has anyone ever used one of these in a G5 case? This is what I used when I hacked an AMD Athlon 64 into an IBM PC XT/286 becasue it was litterally the only thing that would fit.

I'll be putting into my G5:

ASRock Extreme4-m

i5-3750k NOT overclocked

onboard video - for now - but want the option for one kick-ass card down the road

2 SATA HDD and 1 SATA DVD burner

1 Professional audio card (m-audio) - minimal power draw, pulls power thru PCIe interface

Thanks in advance for your opinions! If this is the wrong thread, please redirect/move to the correct thread mr. administrator.