Lion on Asus P5Q SE2

Pappan125

12 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new to these forums, so please excuse me. I am and have been a mac user for almost 7 years now. Here's the thing; I would like to install Mac OS X on my homebuilt computer. My old iMac from late 2006 is just not working as I want it to do anymore, and therefore, I wish to upgrade to my windows computer. Now here's the thing; When I bought the parts, I did not look at the HCL. I have now looked through the HCL, and I found that I can install Hazard 10.6.2 on my computer. The motherboard is an Asus P5Q SE2. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU. Now here comes the tricky part; I have tried millions of times, to be able to install it. As I am limited in my knowledge of OSX86, I do not know what kext's to select, etc. So I am kinda stuck. I tried and tried and tried and after a while, I got it right. But now, as I wish to develop apps, I want to get OSX Lion. So I follow many different tutorials, but everything that happens when I upgrade with the Combo Update is that everyting disappears and I have to reinstall everything on my HD. So please, can someone help me, guide me or do something that could help me? I would be so greatful! And if you want to get further details, just post and I'll post it here.

Thanks so much. / Pontus (aka Pappan125).

EDIT: Here comes the entire setup, that I found on the Control Panel;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.50 GHZ Q8300.

RAM: 2 GB Kingston.

System type: 32bit operating system (unsure if 64 bit works).

That was what I could find.

Title completely out of order. "Please, answer ASAP." also wrong.

Nothing is urgent here, this is just a hobby.

See guideline 7:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=230223

Not to mention the forum rules:

Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' 'cash reward' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed. This includes all-caps titles.
  • Like 1

Hello, Alessandro17. I am terribly sorry for the title. I just couldn't figure out a title, and I was in a hurry as my lesson was startin in 2 minutes. Now I have read the guidelines, and I am taking advice from that. I will update it to something more detailed. And JamesLitter, thanks alot for your reply, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I will update and post the entire setup. It is, an Intel Core 2 Quad Duo. Thanks for the replies!

/ Pappan125.

Edit: I do not know how to edit the title, can someone more experienced assist me in this task?

I want to get OSX Lion. So I follow many different tutorials, but everything that happens when I upgrade with the Combo Update is that everyting disappears

What's your Lion install method? What combo update, you're installing it on what? What does "everything disappears" mean?

You need to be more specific, describe what you're doing in detail.

"it doesn't work" is not detailed enough. If I were to guess (which is all I can do with this little information) is that the update is overwriting some patches installed by Hazard that are required for OS X to work on your motherboard. You will have to track these down and find another way to implement them so that they stay in effect after running the update.

The best way to avoid this kind of thing is to install retail OS X instead of using pre-patched DVDs like Hazard. This way you know exactly what goes where, because you put it there yourself.

It is hard to help someone who's using a hacked DVD, I don't know what's modified on the Hazard DVD, I don't know which patches you've selected in the customize section when you installed it or which boot loader you are using. It's much easier to help someone running retail OS X.

That said;

If you have an extra hard drive that you can install Lion on you don't need to upgrade to 10.6.6 first. You can stay at 10.6.2. This way when something goes wrong you can work on your Lion installation from the 10.6.2 install.

Alright, as you asked so nicely, I will provide you my way of trying to install Lion. Here we go. First, I install the Hazard 10.6.2. After that, I select a couple of patches and Blackknight kernel. I then install it. Once it works, I go ahead and download this file: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349, and open it. Then I install the legacy kernel at the same time. Then I reboot the computer, and voila it doesn't start! It says "Cannot find operating system", and I have to reinstall Windows and then install Mac OS X, again.

"Since you asked so nicely I will provide you..."? What the hell does that mean, do you think you're doing me a favor by providing more information? You're the one asking for help here.

You don't need any patched (legacy or blackknight) kernel, your CPU is perfectly capable of running the Apple kernel.

Before running the 10.6.6 update, what happens when you reboot your PC?

Your'e doing something that you shouldn't be doing that obliterates the Windows boot loader. I don't know what you're doing though.

You don't have to reinstall Windows, you can use the tools on your Windows 7 DVD to repair the boot sector. Google for more information.

It sounds like you're trying to run Windows and OS X from the same hard drive? For various reasons (you have discovered one of them) it is much easier to use a separate drive for OS X.

Thanks for the fast replies! And sorry if I offended you. The reason why I use patched kernels, is because I usually watch videos on youtube, where the ones (that I have seen) use patched kernels. Can you please, tell me what I would need to actually get Mac OS X to work properly? Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: I just realised that the error that I get is kernel panic!

/Pappan125

You're contradicting yourself, what kernel panic, how can you get a kernel panic when you can't even boot?

Try again and don't use a patched kernel.

Core microarchitecture CPUs (like yours) don't need a patched kernel to run OS X. A patched kernel is needed only on AMDs and old Pentium D/Pentium 4 CPUs.

If you need help diagnosing a kernel panic either paste it from kernel.log in console.app or take a photo of it and attach it here.

I cannot help you with what you need to do to get OS X to work because you haven't told me yet what the problem is!

As I told you earlier, If you are able to install and run 10.6.2 you are good to go as far as installing Lion is concerned. Work on installing Lion instead of wasting time trying to update to 10.6.6.