Still Waiting for Root Device (only in 64-bit mode)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

I have solved my problem with "still waiting for root device." I had been rolling back AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to version 10.6.7, which is what I needed to do to get Lion to boot up properly. However, the 10.6.7 versions don't work with ML. When I used the 10.7 versions of those 2 kexts, it found my boot drive. Now, I am getting stuck at "waiting for DSMOS." I'm sure there is some kext that also requires a roll-back. I will ask for suggestions and report my progress at this stage in a new thread once I have read what others who have gotten stuck at this stage have found to work. Thanks.

check this out
http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1801161

xron

xron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for this thread, good tips here, thanks to everyone!

I am trying to install ML on an Inspiron 1720, with Geforce 8600 GT, 2.0 Ghz.
Had all the problems before (waiting for root and DSMOS arrived).
However, I managed to get to boot into the ML Install Disk, with the Netkas Kext, thanks for the info.

But, imediately after the language selection, a lost connection with the install disk error occurs (a message pops up: please clean the drive and try again or something like this). Repaired permissions, checked the USB Thumbdrive, everything seems fine, same error after the startup screen!

Kexts I replaced (or installed) are:
IOPCIFamily.kext (from Netkas)

(Kexts I had to replace in Lion, used the old ones from SL)
IO80211Family
AppleACPIPlatform

NullCPUPowerManagement
FakeSMC

Also put my boards info into Plattform.plist, don´t know whether it´s really necessary though.
Could it be, that some of these kexts are wrong or too old?

I tried with only the Netkas kext and got stuck in the boot screen (waiting for Airport device error).

All ideas and help are greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

KeNgoaiDao

KeNgoaiDao

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Just happened when i boot with more than 2 HDDs. I can't understand.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Thanks for this thread, good tips here, thanks to everyone!

I am trying to install ML on an Inspiron 1720, with Geforce 8600 GT, 2.0 Ghz.
Had all the problems before (waiting for root and DSMOS arrived).
However, I managed to get to boot into the ML Install Disk, with the Netkas Kext, thanks for the info.

But, imediately after the language selection, a lost connection with the install disk error occurs (a message pops up: please clean the drive and try again or something like this). Repaired permissions, checked the USB Thumbdrive, everything seems fine, same error after the startup screen!

Kexts I replaced (or installed) are:
IOPCIFamily.kext (from Netkas)

(Kexts I had to replace in Lion, used the old ones from SL)
IO80211Family
AppleACPIPlatform

NullCPUPowerManagement
FakeSMC

Also put my boards info into Plattform.plist, don´t know whether it´s really necessary though.
Could it be, that some of these kexts are wrong or too old?

I tried with only the Netkas kext and got stuck in the boot screen (waiting for Airport device error).

All ideas and help are greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

u need the IOATA panic fix on ide1 not ide0 in dsdt.. (ideo is for both sata ports in your dual drive laptop.. sat1 is for dvd drive)

also enable Speedsteps and CStates with boot.com.plist settings in chameleon wiz .. remove nullcpupm
also GraphicsEnabler

fix the missing _UID in PCI0

xron

xron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

u need the IOATA panic fix on ide1 not ide0 in dsdt.. (ideo is for both sata ports in your dual drive laptop.. sat1 is for dvd drive)

also enable Speedsteps and CStates with boot.com.plist settings in chameleon wiz .. remove nullcpupm
also GraphicsEnabler

Thanks for the info!
I will try it and report back as soon as I can.
I am not sure how to fix the panic in the IOATA.
I have a dsdt for my machine.

"fix the missing _UID in PCI0"

Is this related to the panic in the IOATA?

Sorry, I am rather new to this!

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
the link i posted for mnfesq ... go to post 1 of it

however in there immo recomends the ioata panic fix for both sat0 and sat1 ... wrong u have dual sata drives. so do sat1 only

manor

manor

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Thanks for the info!
I will try it and report back as soon as I can.
I am not sure how to fix the panic in the IOATA.
I have a dsdt for my machine.

"fix the missing _UID in PCI0"

Is this related to the panic in the IOATA?

Sorry, I am rather new to this!

dont use mkext in statup folder thts why pciroot waiting

xron

xron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

dont use mkext in statup folder thts why pciroot waiting

Thanks for the tip!
Unfortunately, this kept me from booting into my system, got stuck with the Bluetooth error.
I am not sure whether the mkext was the problem though.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

(Update)
I must correct myself...
I had Generate P and C States enabled in the boot.plist, that could have caused the Bluetooth Error, but I am not sure.
Sorry!

also GraphicsEnabler

Haven´t yet got around fixing the dsdt, the mentioned post looks really difficult ;),
I only need more time and concentration to thoroughly look into it.
As for the Speedstep and CStates, are these the GENERATE P and C States checkmarks in Chameleon Wizard?
By removing nullcpupm, you surely mean, removing from the E/E folder, right?
And Graphics Enabler on or off? It´s off for the moment.

Sorry for all these newbie questions...
Thanks again, will report back, as soon as I can!

Update:
As mentioned above: I had the GENERATE P and C States checkmarks in the boot.plist,
but without the changes in the dsdt, they might be meaningless?

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
nullcpupm conflicts with generateP and C states.
if graphicsenabler is off. then how are u getting QE/Ci in video ?

on the 64 bit issue.. i think in dsdt the registers are set in 16 bit instead of 8 bit (my theory)

xron

xron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

nullcpupm conflicts with generateP and C states.
if graphicsenabler is off. then how are u getting QE/Ci in video ?

on the 64 bit issue.. i think in dsdt the registers are set in 16 bit instead of 8 bit (my theory)

Okay, I will try generate P and C states without nullcpupm, both in E/E & S/E I presume?

I use NVEnabler Kext in S/E, for some reason the whole graphics, animations etc. are better for me this way,
but I used to have graphics enabled on as well.

I use Lion now, Snow and Leopard before - my machine is running good (everything seems to work well),
but I am sure it´s not very optimized under the hood.

Hope I can get ML running as well.
Will try your suggested tips, but it´s rather difficult for me : )

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:All Technology peaks my interest, i have modded every video game console you can imagine, hackin...
i got passed all that you guys have mentioned on my inspiron 1720 with x3100 graphics im trying to install ml on my second hdd because on my first hdd lion win7 and linux run perfect, when booting from verbose mode it gets stuck at i0802011nvram added nothing after that it gives the mac address for the broadcom chip and ethernet, i need some help

hekokimushi

hekokimushi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
you are probably booting off the USB drive.

i had to avoid this ramp by getting a bootable DVD.

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:All Technology peaks my interest, i have modded every video game console you can imagine, hackin...
yeah i am booting off the usb device chameleon is on a separate partition and the os installation is on the other partition,so i will try a bootable cd/dvd

hekokimushi

hekokimushi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

yeah i am booting off the usb device chameleon is on a separate partition and the os installation is on the other partition,so i will try a bootable cd/dvd

ya man, your boot volume on USB with this error somehow isn't be recognised by the kernal...

i booted off a DVD, but have the modified install package on a partition (to speed things up and able to modify the 3(three) ati kext related to my 6870) with all possible options disabled.

-v -F DSDT=NULL GraphicsEnabler=No

best of luck poking it.

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
boot dvd didn't work and when i booted with the tags you use i got a kernel panic from applecpumanagement kext but heres where I'm stuck booting it says 1080211interface:;'/ nvrampublished

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

i got passed all that you guys have mentioned on my inspiron 1720 with x3100 graphics im trying to install ml on my second hdd because on my first hdd lion win7 and linux run perfect, when booting from verbose mode it gets stuck at i0802011nvram added nothing after that it gives the mac address for the broadcom chip and ethernet, i need some help

I am assuming you downloaded the kexts I posted on OSx86.net. I did use Ellnic's method for installation, sort of. I didn't have a separate partition for boot. You don't really need one. I set up chameleon on the USB drive and put all my kexts in S/L/E. The only stuff in Extra was the smbios, which should be MB4,1, themes for the chameleon, and dsdt. Your problem does not appear to have anything to do with your LAN kext. I believe it is a DSMOS has arrived issue, which means that your graphics are not loading. This was tricky for me. I removed the Intel HD kexts (5 in total), installed my GMAX3100 kexts (6 in total) and then reinstalled the Intel HD kexts and this worked for me. I'm really not sure why it worked. Some say just to remove the HD kexts, install and then re-add them. Either way, focus on loading graphics, not LAN. You're very close to getting your installation drive to boot up.

scorcho

scorcho

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I was having the same issue on my system trying to boot 10.8 off an internal SATA II drive connected to my motherboard's Intel Series 6 SATA chipset. Most times the boot will stop right at the beginning with no hard drive access and blink that tiny no/missing icon repeatedly. At random I can boot to the desktop, and the rare times that happens comes when I'm rebooting after first starting another operating system - like Windows 7 or the like.

Oddly, the very same ML installation boots fine when cloned to an external drive that's connected via ESATA. This may work because the ESATA interface is using a Marvel controller, not Intel.

I was able to fix this by running BCC9's patch, contained here - http://www.insanelym...1

Now ML can boot off the internal drive with no issues.

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
i did as you said and im still getting stuck at the same point in loading, when i was installing lion and used the tags -v -f, all the drivers ran down the screen loading and that would make the disk boot that doesn't happen in ml it just goes to the black screen and starts to tell what is loading and what is not, how do u get all the kexts to run like before

xron

xron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I decided that it was contrary to the community spirit not to share a work in progress. Perhaps someone else will take what I have done so far and make it better. That will help all of us. My files exceeded 10 MB so I had to upload them elsewhere but here is the link:

http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2949

I tried to explain where the files go but I didn't put too much effort into it. Post any questions and I'll do my best.

Thank you so much, these kexts and files helped me to finally get ML working:

Graphics, Bluetooth, Network, iCloud, internal hdd etc. - everything, I guess!

Really great work!
Thank you :)

raggaro5

raggaro5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
no matter what i do the installer still gets stuck at the same point the usb light just stops loading and its stuck at the io80211interface nvrampublished there must be a way to get past this, removed the io80211family kext and the verbose screen gets stuck at point before this usually happens lpc driver loaded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy