Still Waiting for Root Device (only in 64-bit mode)

mnfesq

71 posts in this topic

i got passed all that you guys have mentioned on my inspiron 1720 with x3100 graphics im trying to install ml on my second hdd because on my first hdd lion win7 and linux run perfect, when booting from verbose mode it gets stuck at i0802011nvram added nothing after that it gives the mac address for the broadcom chip and ethernet, i need some help

yeah i am booting off the usb device chameleon is on a separate partition and the os installation is on the other partition,so i will try a bootable cd/dvd

yeah i am booting off the usb device chameleon is on a separate partition and the os installation is on the other partition,so i will try a bootable cd/dvd

ya man, your boot volume on USB with this error somehow isn't be recognised by the kernal...

i booted off a DVD, but have the modified install package on a partition (to speed things up and able to modify the 3(three) ati kext related to my 6870) with all possible options disabled.

-v -F DSDT=NULL GraphicsEnabler=No

best of luck poking it.

boot dvd didn't work and when i booted with the tags you use i got a kernel panic from applecpumanagement kext but heres where I'm stuck booting it says 1080211interface:;'/ nvrampublished

i got passed all that you guys have mentioned on my inspiron 1720 with x3100 graphics im trying to install ml on my second hdd because on my first hdd lion win7 and linux run perfect, when booting from verbose mode it gets stuck at i0802011nvram added nothing after that it gives the mac address for the broadcom chip and ethernet, i need some help

I am assuming you downloaded the kexts I posted on OSx86.net. I did use Ellnic's method for installation, sort of. I didn't have a separate partition for boot. You don't really need one. I set up chameleon on the USB drive and put all my kexts in S/L/E. The only stuff in Extra was the smbios, which should be MB4,1, themes for the chameleon, and dsdt. Your problem does not appear to have anything to do with your LAN kext. I believe it is a DSMOS has arrived issue, which means that your graphics are not loading. This was tricky for me. I removed the Intel HD kexts (5 in total), installed my GMAX3100 kexts (6 in total) and then reinstalled the Intel HD kexts and this worked for me. I'm really not sure why it worked. Some say just to remove the HD kexts, install and then re-add them. Either way, focus on loading graphics, not LAN. You're very close to getting your installation drive to boot up.

I was having the same issue on my system trying to boot 10.8 off an internal SATA II drive connected to my motherboard's Intel Series 6 SATA chipset. Most times the boot will stop right at the beginning with no hard drive access and blink that tiny no/missing icon repeatedly. At random I can boot to the desktop, and the rare times that happens comes when I'm rebooting after first starting another operating system - like Windows 7 or the like.

Oddly, the very same ML installation boots fine when cloned to an external drive that's connected via ESATA. This may work because the ESATA interface is using a Marvel controller, not Intel.

I was able to fix this by running BCC9's patch, contained here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280062&st=20&p=1834431entry1834431

Now ML can boot off the internal drive with no issues.

i did as you said and im still getting stuck at the same point in loading, when i was installing lion and used the tags -v -f, all the drivers ran down the screen loading and that would make the disk boot that doesn't happen in ml it just goes to the black screen and starts to tell what is loading and what is not, how do u get all the kexts to run like before

I decided that it was contrary to the community spirit not to share a work in progress. Perhaps someone else will take what I have done so far and make it better. That will help all of us. My files exceeded 10 MB so I had to upload them elsewhere but here is the link:

http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2949

I tried to explain where the files go but I didn't put too much effort into it. Post any questions and I'll do my best.

Thank you so much, these kexts and files helped me to finally get ML working:

Graphics, Bluetooth, Network, iCloud, internal hdd etc. - everything, I guess!

Really great work!

Thank you :)

no matter what i do the installer still gets stuck at the same point the usb light just stops loading and its stuck at the io80211interface nvrampublished there must be a way to get past this, removed the io80211family kext and the verbose screen gets stuck at point before this usually happens lpc driver loaded

no matter what i do the installer still gets stuck at the same point the usb light just stops loading and its stuck at the io80211interface nvrampublished there must be a way to get past this, removed the io80211family kext and the verbose screen gets stuck at point before this usually happens lpc driver loaded

It's your video kexts - they are not loading. Try removing AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext, AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext, AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin, AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext, and AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle. That worked for me. Later on, I put them back in and I still got my video kexts to load.

i did remove the hd kexts from before, mnfesq did i mention this is happening after DSMOS has arrived

Are you using the 10.6.2 video kexts? They are the only 64-bit kexts for the X3100. You need all the GMAX3100 kexts plus the AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext. If you research the DSMOS Has Arrived issue, you will find that it is about graphics kexts loading. That's what I think your problem is.

yeah i used the kexts that you uploaded on osx86 but the difference between our installs is that i am using the official release of the operating system and not the developer preview, do you think that might be the problem, because i've replaced all driver you used and all the files you use i replaced the ones in the original, ive done everything down to the t

OK, in order to prove that this works, I wiped my USB drive and started over from scratch. I used all of the files I had uploaded and deleted the IntelHD and SNB video kexts. Everything was perfect "down to the T." And guess what? It got stuck in the exact spot you said it did. So I spent the better part of the day trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and couldn't come up with anything. Finally, I tried using Kext Utility rather than Kext Wizard to rebuilt the Extensions.mkext file and I cut/pasted it into the System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup directory and it booted right up. See if that doesn't help you too.

I have been using kext utility, so I tried kext wizard still nothing. I can't seem to figure it out I've followed ellnics guide before maybe my installer is the problem, do u have a guide to making the USB installer

yeah i leave the one in s/l/extensions.mkext and then the other in

Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup. when booting with verbose mode it actually says booting using caches in that location also

i booted finally did a re-install of everything but all i did this time was install the extensions i didn't use any other files in the folder you have, so i booted but installation failed im gonna try again until i get it working

Ok after the USB installer booted, I then replaced all the files with the files from mnfesq and the installation completed, so thanks mnfesq for ur great work thank u so much for te great work now all we need is the qe/ci and our systems will be in good shape. Man I'm happy thanks again

• Like 1