[How To] Lenovo z370 (i3-2330m HD3000(8086 0116))

rockinron_1

120 posts in this topic

I'm just sitting next to my flatmate, he's got a MacBook Pro, and I'm wondering if the hotkeys (on our keyboard F1-F12) would work if I use OSX on my Z370. Can you tell something bout that? Is this the already mentioned keyboard mapping issue?

Hotkeys work fine, the issue is that macs have a different keymap to PC's (e.g. @ and " is swapped), there's a few subtle differences which need correcting but since its purely a cosmetic thing so I haven't bothered to fix it as a matter of urgency.

Working hotkeys sounds great :) Learning the keymap shouldn't be a problem, as longer I use it the better I know which button to hit.

Currently I'm struggeling with creating the usb drive for install... I'm doing it with a dmg file and the restore function of the disk utility. The disk utility copies the file and with last bit of checking the stickt it says "Restore failed - invalid argument". Thing is I can't find a solution on the net...

Edit: Finally got it working... with Lion Disk Maker :> Already applied u n i b e a s t to it. Now copy the whole folder from your attachment?

You can put the folder on the device for storage but leave it zipped.

The u n i b e a s t installer doesn't just extract the iso to the device. Seriously read the guide and you'll see where you've gone wrong step 1.11 EDIT 2.11

so why have you installed u n i b e a s t to it?

Right idiot proof:

Get your copy of os x lion (you should have a .app but if you have a dmg restored to a usb stick and it recognises it then fair enough)

Get another usb stick. Follow u n i b e a s t guide to install the lion installer on the 2nd usb stick.

Get it?

Got it! :)

Installed OS X, Chameleon and most of the kexts. But bad news regarding AR9285 support out of the box. Currently only wired connection is working, gotta install IO80211 kext to get WiFi working I think.

Do I have to install the violet and yellow kexts too? EDIT: Might be so, you wrote it in your initial post :D

EDIT:

Got two problem :(

When I was using FN + Left / Right to adjust the volume a window appeard, telling me I have to shutdown my computer. This shouldn't be normal or is it?!

WiFi is still not working, it was for about 5 mins, but now I do not get a IP adress... WPA2 secured network

I left the battery kexts. You said you recommend skipping them:

When you install the kexts I suggest you ignore the following 3 (the battery ones and the ones for the atheros wi-fi card):

AppleACPIBatteryManager

Apple SmartBatteryManager

IO80211 family

Had to install IO80211 because the WiFi card was not recognized by OS X.

I switched WiFi on and off several times, tried to turn it off and on again with the OS X network app and pressed "Renew DHCP Lease" and also tried to delete the network from known networks and reconnect it. Nothing helped :/

EDIT: What I forgot is that I also tried to set a manual IP adress while connected with my WiFi, also that didn't help.

Just found this guide, which I will give a shot as soon as I get back from work. Do you have any ideas how to solve this problem either?

Its possible the card doesn't like connecting to a wpa2 802.11n router (you can force your router to g mode in its settings)

Do you have somewhere you can test the card with an old wep network? (i.e. can we find out if its a configuration issue or if the kext were using won't connect to a 802.11n router). The ar9285 is a very popular os x card so there will definitely be a fix out there somewhere for it

Try this (worth doing every time you install something to do with network hardware):

Delete all network interfaces in preferences.

Delete networkinterfaces.plist from /library/preferences/systemconfiguration

Then restart and go to network preferences and start to add you interfaces again (important - you MUST add either ethernet or your airport card FIRST if you want app store to work).

If that doesn't work try this kext:

http://www.osx86.net...ion_10.7.3.html

With regards to the kernel panic ("you must shutdown your computer..."). When you first boot up and see the time out before it loads os x press any key then type "-v" this will load the os in verbose mode. Next time it panics take a photo of the screen and let me see it. (i was checking the battery kexts because if you had installed them that would have been our problem)

(note: your not still booting fom the u n i b e a s t usb are you? once you've installed chameleon take the usb stick out)

EDIT: Try the kext i've linked then deleting the network stuff. Seems to be connecting up to 802.11g on mine. If it doesn't work after that then we'll try somthing else

I've remotely set the WiFi standard to b and g now - in deed it was sending b, g and n, didn't even now that cheap t-com router was able to send on n standard.

I will test the rest as soon as I get home, I'm still at work :/

But good that you mention booting... I do not use the usb stick anymore, followed your guide to install chameleon right after install ;) Worked like a charm :)

Although I still have problems with booting, thanks to the nvidia card. As you mentioned in your initial post users of i5 / nvidia Z370 have to boot with PCIRootID=0. Currently I'm setting this flag on every start of OS X, isn't it possible to tell the chameleon to start it with the flag by default?

Go to the extra folder you copied onto your hard drive. Open org.boot.chameleon.plist with text edit.

Look for the following

Kernel Flags

npci=0x2000

Change it to

Kernel Flags

npci=0x2000 PCIRootID=0

Save, reboot, and check it works.

Got some good news. WiFi is working now (setting router to G standard solved the problem) and botting with kernel flag works fine too.

What I also found out is, that if I press FN + ArrowDown it causes OS X to crash - not the Left / Right Arrow as I thought in post 88. But thats what is bringing me to my next question: How could I change the display brightness?

And another thing is the battery status. Currently I can't see how much power is left - caused by missing kexts I guess. What do you recommend to do?

SeanStar is using VoodooBattery on his Z570 here. Do you think this could do the job for us too?

EDIT: Got even better news :) WiFi is working with 802.11n now. I've installed the driver listed in the thread mentioned above.

Great I've also tested that kext on mine this afternoon with 802.11n so i'll update the package when i get around to it.

Boot with -v replicate the crash and show me a screenshot of it.

Currently I have no time to fix the battery issue. Any battery kexts i have tried so far has caused infrequent kernel panic.

Okay, I'll try to take a screenshot. Is it possible to do it with an app when the crash happens or do I have to my mobile?

What happens when a kernel panic appears? Is it possible to use the system after reboot and restore a backup of the original kext?

If this is possible, I may try the kexts.

you'll have to use your mobile (remember to boot with -v, the screenshot is useless without).

kernel panic is the "you must shut down your computer..." message.

it *should* work fine after reboot unless you install a kext which doesn't let you boot.

Whilst your getting your hackintosh up and running i suggest you add -v in the kernel flag section of the org.chameleon.boot.plist mentioned above. Its impossible to diagnose what's making the computer panic without the output from the verbose mode boot (aside from trial and error anyway)

Also when you install using kext utility it automatically makes a backup of the original kext. Go to /system/library/extensions and you'll see what i mean. You can simply delete the new kext then remove the ".bak" from the old one

I tried to force the crash, but nothing happens. Very confusing. I'll put -v in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get the message just in case it happens again.

Is there any way to check if a kext is one which does not let me boot?