• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
old voodoohda and u need to patch the ide controler in dsdt for "ioataFamilly panic fix" < google it

refinery

refinery

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cerastez - tried that, i get the same errors in the same places.

i ended up trying using the nawcom boot cd and was able to get a lot further into the process, but hitting another roadblock. I'm able to get all the way to the part of installing the 10.6.8 combo updater, but without fail, the installer fails with an error about the install failed, contact the manufacturer for details. Ive run repair permissions several times before running this, but it keeps failing at the same point. ive included the console error output:

Jul  6 00:24:51 Macintosh installd[253]: Deferred path /usr/bin/mdcheckschema is not in sandbox and will be skipped.
Jul  6 00:24:51 Macintosh installd[253]: PackageKit: Shoving /var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root (9 items) to /
Jul  6 00:25:10 Macintosh /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[281]: Cross device symlink found in shove path, including /private/etc
Jul  6 00:25:10 Macintosh /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[281]: [source=file] failed _RelinkFile(/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/private/etc/php.ini.default, /private/etc/php.ini.default): Directory not empty
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh installd[253]: PackageKit: Install Failed: (null)\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0x3426280 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Directory not empty") {\n	NSLocalizedDescription = "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.";\n	NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Directory not empty\"";\n	arguments =	 (\n		"-f",\n		"-s",\n		"/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root",\n		"/"\n	);\n}
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh Installer[206]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0xbb8fc10 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Directory not empty")
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh Installer[206]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Entering Summary section
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Physical Memory Allocation:   301 MB wired,   771 MB trapped,   338 MB active,   371 MB inactive,  2315 MB free,  3024 MB usable,  4096 MB total
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: IFDInstallController 185850 state = 7
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

does anyone have any suggestions for how i might get past this? it seems like im so close at this point.
i tried using pacifist to install the combo update, but that just made the system unstable and then it wouldnt barely get past the bootloader the next time around before hard KPing.
ive made a disk image of the system so i can at least quickly get back to the point of right before the 10.6.8 update is run in case i break something, so feel free to suggest anything.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
dsdt device (PCI0) missing _UID, 0x00 or its wrong 0x04 ?

Cerastez

Cerastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Cerastez - tried that, i get the same errors in the same places.

i ended up trying using the nawcom boot cd and was able to get a lot further into the process, but hitting another roadblock. I'm able to get all the way to the part of installing the 10.6.8 combo updater, but without fail, the installer fails with an error about the install failed, contact the manufacturer for details. Ive run repair permissions several times before running this, but it keeps failing at the same point. ive included the console error output:

does anyone have any suggestions for how i might get past this? it seems like im so close at this point.
i tried using pacifist to install the combo update, but that just made the system unstable and then it wouldnt barely get past the bootloader the next time around before hard KPing.
ive made a disk image of the system so i can at least quickly get back to the point of right before the 10.6.8 update is run in case i break something, so feel free to suggest anything.

I don't actually know what might be causing this, so I am just going to throw out some random ideas.

Take out some of your RAM so that you are under 4GB

Re-download the 10.6.8 update. I had been using the same copy for ages and it suddenly stopped working. Apple actually built an expiration date into it!

Copy the updater to your hard drive, don't install from a CD or flash drive.

If you have a spare hard drive laying around, install 10.6.3 on to it. Boot off your spare hard drive and run the 10.6.8 updater. Select the other hard drive, the one you are not booting off of, and install onto it.

Hope that helps

refinery

refinery

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thank you for all the tips, guys, i really appreciate the assistance here.. awesome community and way more firendly & helpful than others i have visited. i will try these suggestions out and report back.

thanks again!

refinery

refinery

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok guys, just wanted to give an update. turns out i was using a 10.6.0 iso and not a 10.6.3. I got my hands on 10.6.3 and was able to install successfully. I did have to switch from myHack to Chameleon bootloader, because the system refused to boot unless i used the npci=0x2000 fix. myHack didnt seem to offer any way of specifying that in the bootloader, and it seems like myhack is directly using chameleon now anyway on their newer packages... anyway, Once i did that, it worked fine and i have a bootable system with 10.6.8.

however, im still having two issues:
1. audio is not recognized or working (i did install both kexts correctly - ethernet is working fine after the MAC address fix)
2. my video card, while recognized, is not showing any resolutions outside the one specified in the boot.plist. (i understand that's outside the scope of this article)... it shows it as 8400GS, nvidia, even includes the ROM revision... but no other resolutions besides 1028x768...

any suggestions on how to fix those two?
thanks again for the help!!! this is going great now, just need to fix those two issues and i should be set.

sbaby3

sbaby3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
For the audio, be sure to be in 32 bits mode and use the kext from Cerastez. I tried others to get it working in 64bits, there is no way. Try to install several times. It has to work!
For the video be sure to use latest chameleon release. It sometimes solves the problem.
I used Kext wizard and chameleon wizard. But my video card is a HD5450....so look around!

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

ok guys, just wanted to give an update. turns out i was using a 10.6.0 iso and not a 10.6.3. I got my hands on 10.6.3 and was able to install successfully. I did have to switch from myHack to Chameleon bootloader, because the system refused to boot unless i used the npci=0x2000 fix. myHack didnt seem to offer any way of specifying that in the bootloader, and it seems like myhack is directly using chameleon now anyway on their newer packages... anyway, Once i did that, it worked fine and i have a bootable system with 10.6.8.

however, im still having two issues:
1. audio is not recognized or working (i did install both kexts correctly - ethernet is working fine after the MAC address fix)
2. my video card, while recognized, is not showing any resolutions outside the one specified in the boot.plist. (i understand that's outside the scope of this article)... it shows it as 8400GS, nvidia, even includes the ROM revision... but no other resolutions besides 1028x768...

any suggestions on how to fix those two?
thanks again for the help!!! this is going great now, just need to fix those two issues and i should be set.

i bet device id is 103c .. add it to the info.plist of nvda

refinery

refinery

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
can anybody point me in the way of a clear tutorial on how to do add that to the plist? ive been searching and all the methods that ive found are described very poorly or key details missing.

oh and i did get audio working. just installed cerastez' patch again and it started working. weird.

refinery

refinery

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok through a lot of experimentation, downloads and various attempts, i was able to get the graphics card working with the card code added to my boot.plist under device_properties and some other hacks.

if there's one thing i can share from this experience - make sure you are using a 10.6.3 installation and not a 10.6.0. 10.6.0 wont work.

pabloscotty

pabloscotty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

ok through a lot of experimentation, downloads and various attempts, i was able to get the graphics card working with the card code added to my boot.plist under device_properties and some other hacks.

if there's one thing i can share from this experience - make sure you are using a 10.6.3 installation and not a 10.6.0. 10.6.0 wont work.

Another happy Mac on Dell user :) regards.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
10.6.0 will give IOATA panic.. needs dsdt fix.

Squiffy

Squiffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
EDIT (2012-07-24): After a little thinking, I looked over the Nawcom booter again and decided to give it another shot to the basic procedure by the original poster. The only change came in reducing the size of the install to ONLY the critical components and unchecking anything optional (installed later). I then followed the procedure to the letter and it worked ALMOST fine. The 10.6.8 updater appeared to work fine. However, when I ran the legacy kernel installer pkg, it ALSO produced a "restart" option when it finished. I soldiered on and rebooted as instructed and installed the needed kexts for networking and sournd (don't need MAC fix, my router handles and zero'ed MAC).

I then proceeded to RE-install the 10.6.8 update as instructed, followed AGAIN by running the legacy kernel installer. Presto, stable system. The remaining small updates worked fine and the system appears initially stable. It is interacting with my internal SATA HDD fine, allowing me to boot my other OS's (WinXP and OSX Leopard) fine. I can also use the Chameleon bootloader on my main HDD to boot the new Snow Leopard partition on my external USB drive.

So...I would say was almost a seamless install. Kudos to the original poster for the detailed instructions.

END EDIT..............

Hey all,

This appears to be an active thread so here goes. I have a Dell GX620 small form factor that is the following specs:

Intel Pentium D 3.6Ghz (dual CPU)
1GB DDR2 RAM
80 GB SATA HDD
Internal Floppy
PATA IDE DVD-ROM Drive
Intel GMA950 internal graphics (8MB shared enabled)

BIOS version A11

The internal HDD has a dual boot WinXP SP3 and Leopard 10.5.8 installation (iDeneb Lite with some kext patches). This works mostly fine with only some wonky graphics "issues", such as tearing in odd ways sometimes and will not sleep. Otherwise, rock solid, both OS'es.

However, I would like to "test drive" Snow Leopard. The method overview in post #1 of this thread looked promising. Obtained all the tools listed, burned the "Eye Boot" Legacy CD, dumped the tools to a USB drive and off to the races. NOTE: I wanted to avoid using the internal hard drive, so I attached and external IDE drive (100 GB Maxtor unit) through a USB adapter and external power supply. The drive was low level formatted prior to make sure it was clean.

Issue 1: "Eye Boot" Legacy gets started, runs for all of two seconds, with some initial text at the top left, then unceremoniously craps out and forces a warm reboot, over and over again until I shut of the computer. "Eye Boot" Legacy is showing as version 2.7.2.

Issue 2: Nawcom Boot CD boot the computer fine and allows the swap of the Installer DVD. However, the installer makes it about 50% of the way through then dumps an error pop up indicating an error and cannot continue. I am offered only a choice of "Restart" or.... "Restart".

So, looking for a little guidance as to what I might be missing. Is there some key errors I should be looking for during the non-graphical boot for Nawcom? Is there something I should look out for in the non-graphical portion of the booting of the Installer DVD?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the "Eye Boot" Legacy CD is gagging? One thing I note in the video tutorial is the version of BIOS on the test bed is A07.

Thanks,

Squiffy

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Hey all,

This appears to be an active thread so here goes. I have a Dell GX620 small form factor that is the following specs:

Intel Pentium D 3.6Ghz (dual CPU)
1GB DDR2 RAM
80 GB SATA HDD
Internal Floppy
PATA IDE DVD-ROM Drive
Intel GMA950 internal graphics (8MB shared enabled)

BIOS version A11

The internal HDD has a dual boot WinXP SP3 and Leopard 10.5.8 installation (iDeneb Lite with some kext patches). This works mostly fine with only some wonky graphics "issues", such as tearing in odd ways sometimes and will not sleep. Otherwise, rock solid, both OS'es.

However, I would like to "test drive" Snow Leopard. The method overview in post #1 of this thread looked promising. Obtained all the tools listed, burned the "Eye Boot" Legacy CD, dumped the tools to a USB drive and off to the races. NOTE: I wanted to avoid using the internal hard drive, so I attached and external IDE drive (100 GB Maxtor unit) through a USB adapter and external power supply. The drive was low level formatted prior to make sure it was clean.

Issue 1: "Eye Boot" Legacy gets started, runs for all of two seconds, with some initial text at the top left, then unceremoniously craps out and forces a warm reboot, over and over again until I shut of the computer. "Eye Boot" Legacy is showing as version 2.7.2.

Issue 2: Nawcom Boot CD boot the computer fine and allows the swap of the Installer DVD. However, the installer makes it about 50% of the way through then dumps an error pop up indicating an error and cannot continue. I am offered only a choice of "Restart" or.... "Restart".

So, looking for a little guidance as to what I might be missing. Is there some key errors I should be looking for during the non-graphical boot for Nawcom? Is there something I should look out for in the non-graphical portion of the booting of the Installer DVD?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the "Eye Boot" Legacy CD is gagging? One thing I note in the video tutorial is the version of BIOS on the test bed is A07.

Thanks,

Squiffy

boot with -v to see what errors are. test ram or that hdd ? . go internal plug hdd not usb. unplug original internal.
try a video card.. and dsdt patches.
also a core duo would come in handy . pent d might need legacy kernel if EnablePStates EnableCStates dont work properly in chameleon

good luck following old or flawed steps.

Squiffy

Squiffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

boot with -v to see what errors are. test ram or that hdd ? . go internal plug hdd not usb. unplug original internal.
try a video card.. and dsdt patches.
also a core duo would come in handy . pent d might need legacy kernel if EnablePStates EnableCStates dont work properly in chameleon

good luck following old or flawed steps.

Thanks for the reply. What I was driving at was that the legacy CD won't get past the first few seconds of trying to boot. So, I couldn't even get a try to follow the procedure. The Nawcom CD was getting me to the install but gagging. So, ultimately, your suggestions, while potentially helpful following install to get a stable system do not help with the initial boot from the legacy CD to even TRY an install. The Dell GX620 I have will not apparently take a Core Duo CPU. The internal GMA950 graphics and sound should work fine according to earlier posts, so I am confident it was something with the legacy CD preboot.dmg, a plist file or something being passed/not being passed to the kernel on start up that caused the gag.

As it turned out, the Nawcom boot, followed by a slimmer install (unchecked all the optional stuff) worked fine. Then, following the first post (procedure one) worked fine with only one hiccup. My old GX620 is chugging along just fine now, fully updated to 10.6.8 booting fine from the external USB hard-drive. It is even interacting fine with my older Chameleon bootloader on the internal SATA drive.

GR Ant

GR Ant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys,

I've followed this post with a lot of interest, I have always had a MAC but recently my workplace (which is sadly all PC now) are replacing our workstations. I've managed to put one sadly under my desk instead of the skip, and yeah it's a GX620.

I've got legit copies of 10.3 - 10.7
I tried ###### & legacy, neither worked.
I succeeded booting into the full install of 10.6.3
Ran ##### - and no luck... wouldn't even boot using the swap disc.

I'm going to try and reinstall, adding kext by kext (and repairing permissions).

Has anyone got a next for Ati Radeon x600 (256mb)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Cerastez

Cerastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi Guys,

I've followed this post with a lot of interest, I have always had a MAC but recently my workplace (which is sadly all PC now) are replacing our workstations. I've managed to put one sadly under my desk instead of the skip, and yeah it's a GX620.

I've got legit copies of 10.3 - 10.7
I tried ###### & legacy, neither worked.
I succeeded booting into the full install of 10.6.3
Ran ##### - and no luck... wouldn't even boot using the swap disc.

I'm going to try and reinstall, adding kext by kext (and repairing permissions).

Has anyone got a next for Ati Radeon x600 (256mb)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Why did you use #####? Use the instructions in the tutorial and you will be up and running. I would take out that video card and do the installation with the onboard video. Once it is up and running you can try to get the video card working.

GR Ant

GR Ant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Guys,

I followed the install to the letter and everything worked perfectly, except that the onboard ethernet is broken. So, I slotted in an intel PCI ethernet card and turned off onboard ethernet in bios.

I tried countless kext's but nothing worked. Going to try a reinstall tomorrow morning with the PCI ethernet in place and see if it works out the box.

Thanks again for the tutorial and if anyone knows how I can get the intel ethernet working please, post away.

G

Cerastez

Cerastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hey Guys,

I followed the install to the letter and everything worked perfectly, except that the onboard ethernet is broken. So, I slotted in an intel PCI ethernet card and turned off onboard ethernet in bios.

I tried countless kext's but nothing worked. Going to try a reinstall tomorrow morning with the PCI ethernet in place and see if it works out the box.

Thanks again for the tutorial and if anyone knows how I can get the intel ethernet working please, post away.

G

Did you try the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip that is attached at the bottom of the first post? It should get your computer to recognize the onboard ethernet. You will still have the problem with the MAC address being all zeros. That may prevent you from getting online, but the first post has a link to another post that gives a fix for that.

GR Ant

GR Ant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The problem is the on board network card is dead.
So when in Windows I used an Intel ethernet card in the PCI Slot.
The card was found after the 10.6.3 install (natively) using the os x 86 mod CD bootloader to install the OS.
I upgraded to 10.6.8 as instructed and now there's no ethernet card in the PCI Slot... System Profiler reads as if there's no card at all.

I tried all available Kext's but no joy... any suggestions or help?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gx620, Dell Optiplex GX620

Topic Stats Last Post Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy