[GUIDE] 10.6.8 on a Dell Optiplex GX620

Cerastez

110 posts in this topic

Cerastez I think the problem is that your setup has one VGA port but mine has two DVI and VGA so card needs to be configured to works with two monitors mabye? I've plugged monitor to DVI so I don't know if the VGA works? I have to find DSDT patch for it but I googled everything yesterday and can't find anything useful :(

I've tried special kexts to GMA950 but whey screw 10.6.8 completely (can't boot even if safe mode) so I need to reinstall again :(

This is really nice small computer but with Snow Leo would be nicer :) Thank you.

You could very well be right about the dual monitor setup being the problem. I did a little looking too and it seems like you need a gma950 kext and a framebuffer kext. Maybe something like this: http://www.osx86.net/view/2141-gma950_+_lion.html

You could very well be right about the dual monitor setup being the problem. I did a little looking too and it seems like you need a gma950 kext and a framebuffer kext. Maybe something like this: http://www.osx86.net...950_+_lion.html

Oh my God it works. I've just needed to reistall framebuffer kext after 10.6.8 update but for now it seems working :)

Thank you again :) Can I buy you a beer?

UPDATE: after 2 hours - works and perfectly stable. 720p movies plays smothly in Movist. Sleep seems to work but I don't know how to wake him up? :) mouse, keyboard and power button didn't work.

It's cheapest mac mini on the planet :) It cost me about 80$.

Oh my God it works. I've just needed to reistall framebuffer kext after 10.6.8 update but for now it seems working :)

Thank you again :) Can I buy you a beer?

UPDATE: after 2 hours - works and perfectly stable. 720p movies plays smothly in Movist. Sleep seems to work but I don't know how to wake him up? :) mouse, keyboard and power button didn't work.

It's cheapest mac mini on the planet :) It cost me about 80$.

Fantastic!! I would take you up on that beer if you were within driving distance.

The mouse or keyboard should wake him up. There are some kexts out there that might fix that, sleepenabler or openhaltrestart.

Or you can just open the System Preferences/Energy Saver and set sleep to never.

Fantastic!! I would take you up on that beer if you were within driving distance.

The mouse or keyboard should wake him up. There are some kexts out there that might fix that, sleepenabler or openhaltrestart.

Or you can just open the System Preferences/Energy Saver and set sleep to never.

Thank you again Cerastez. I'm in Poland so this beer have to stay in "virtual domain" :) Sleep enabler works.

Could you be more specific? and explain why?

look around how many people got kernel panics on update with sleepenabler.

is it still being developed by originator ?

to get sleep to work patch usb in dsdt.

look around how many people got kernel panics on update with sleepenabler.

is it still being developed by originator ?

to get sleep to work patch usb in dsdt.

Thank you LatinMcG. Could you write me how to path USB in DSDT (which patch to use - I now a little DSDT editor)? Sleep works great for now but it removes USB drives not safely. So that patch could resolve that problem. Is DSDT patch only for USB and works with sleepenabler.kext to make sleep working perfect?

I've aplied EHCI sleep.txt path from DSDT editor patches and the computer goes to sleep but didn't wake up. Without this patch it sleeps and wake up perfectly but removes USB drives not safely.

I also found that my menu bar volume control slider is not changing volume at all but keyboard keys works and the preference panels volume sliders works.

UPDATE: Volume slider sometimes works sometimes don't :( the same keyboard keys. Only system preferences slider can control volume all the time.

Thanks to you and all the information I found here, I could install SL 10.6.8 on my optiplex GX620 P4 with a new ATI5450 to get dual screen. Everything is very fast and stable but I still have a minor issue.

From the moment I update the system with the 10.6.8_combo_update, I couldn't access anymore my windows computer on the network. I see them in the finder but can't connect. I can't share properly my printer as well.

I could do it in 10.6.3. I tested twice. I guess it has to do with some incompatible kext, but wich one? Any idea?

Thanks to you and all the information I found here, I could install SL 10.6.8 on my optiplex GX620 P4 with a new ATI5450 to get dual screen. Everything is very fast and stable but I still have a minor issue.

From the moment I update the system with the 10.6.8_combo_update, I couldn't access anymore my windows computer on the network. I see them in the finder but can't connect. I can't share properly my printer as well.

I could do it in 10.6.3. I tested twice. I guess it has to do with some incompatible kext, but wich one? Any idea?

Uggg, that explains a few things! I will defiantly look into this.......but I won't have time until this weekend. If you find a fix, post it!

I didn't get into this problem, but have solved others :)

If you want to have sleep working instal this kexts:

http://www.pawelhebd...USBandSleep.zip

If you want to make app store working generate computer serial number (creating smbios file and put it into /extra folder) with champlist:

http://tools.inmac.org/

I tried several kernels and updates, the thing is terrible, can't solve this "connection" problem.

It works in 10.6.3 and 10.6.5 but not in 10.6.4, 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and of course 10.6.8.

It doesn't seem to be a kernel problem...

• 2 weeks later...

ive been trying for days to get this to work. no matter what, i almost always get a KP on IOATAFamily... i tried removing it from the extensions but then it wont even see the hard drive.

sometimes by booting through safe mode i can get past the problem and install OSX, but when i use ###### after the initial install, it either goes into a reboot loop, or it still crashes at the IOATAFamily extension.

i would love to get this working. anybody got any tips? I have followed this tutorial *to the letter* and i also used a different distro and had pretty much exactly the same problems, or it would hang in verbose mode after "systemshutdown false"

GX620 w/ 3.4ghz Pentium D

4GB RAM

1TB HD

Asus DVDRW

Asus 8400GS Silent

thanks!

the two errors i keep getting. please let me know if i need to post more info about my setup.

oh, and the only things i have changed in BIOS were to turn off the floppy drive, SATA mode to "combination" and I had to disable "SERR DMI" mode otherwise it wouldnt even get to the bootloader screen.

post-280536-0-35620500-1341439741_thumb.jpg

post-280536-0-24258900-1341439770_thumb.jpg

Cerastez - tried that, i get the same errors in the same places.

i ended up trying using the nawcom boot cd and was able to get a lot further into the process, but hitting another roadblock. I'm able to get all the way to the part of installing the 10.6.8 combo updater, but without fail, the installer fails with an error about the install failed, contact the manufacturer for details. Ive run repair permissions several times before running this, but it keeps failing at the same point. ive included the console error output:

Jul  6 00:24:51 Macintosh installd[253]: Deferred path /usr/bin/mdcheckschema is not in sandbox and will be skipped.
Jul  6 00:24:51 Macintosh installd[253]: PackageKit: Shoving /var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root (9 items) to /
Jul  6 00:25:10 Macintosh /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[281]: Cross device symlink found in shove path, including /private/etc
Jul  6 00:25:10 Macintosh /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[281]: [source=file] failed _RelinkFile(/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/private/etc/php.ini.default, /private/etc/php.ini.default): Directory not empty
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh installd[253]: PackageKit: Install Failed: (null)\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0x3426280 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Directory not empty") {\n	NSLocalizedDescription = "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.";\n	NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Directory not empty\"";\n	arguments =	 (\n		"-f",\n		"-s",\n		"/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/-Tmp-/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root",\n		"/"\n	);\n}
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh Installer[206]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0xbb8fc10 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Directory not empty")
Jul  6 00:25:11 Macintosh Installer[206]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Entering Summary section
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Physical Memory Allocation:   301 MB wired,   771 MB trapped,   338 MB active,   371 MB inactive,  2315 MB free,  3024 MB usable,  4096 MB total
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: IFDInstallController 185850 state = 7
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul  6 00:25:12 Macintosh Installer[206]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

does anyone have any suggestions for how i might get past this? it seems like im so close at this point.

i tried using pacifist to install the combo update, but that just made the system unstable and then it wouldnt barely get past the bootloader the next time around before hard KPing.

ive made a disk image of the system so i can at least quickly get back to the point of right before the 10.6.8 update is run in case i break something, so feel free to suggest anything.

Cerastez - tried that, i get the same errors in the same places.

i ended up trying using the nawcom boot cd and was able to get a lot further into the process, but hitting another roadblock. I'm able to get all the way to the part of installing the 10.6.8 combo updater, but without fail, the installer fails with an error about the install failed, contact the manufacturer for details. Ive run repair permissions several times before running this, but it keeps failing at the same point. ive included the console error output:

does anyone have any suggestions for how i might get past this? it seems like im so close at this point.

i tried using pacifist to install the combo update, but that just made the system unstable and then it wouldnt barely get past the bootloader the next time around before hard KPing.

ive made a disk image of the system so i can at least quickly get back to the point of right before the 10.6.8 update is run in case i break something, so feel free to suggest anything.

I don't actually know what might be causing this, so I am just going to throw out some random ideas.

Take out some of your RAM so that you are under 4GB

Re-download the 10.6.8 update. I had been using the same copy for ages and it suddenly stopped working. Apple actually built an expiration date into it!

Copy the updater to your hard drive, don't install from a CD or flash drive.

If you have a spare hard drive laying around, install 10.6.3 on to it. Boot off your spare hard drive and run the 10.6.8 updater. Select the other hard drive, the one you are not booting off of, and install onto it.

Hope that helps

thank you for all the tips, guys, i really appreciate the assistance here.. awesome community and way more firendly & helpful than others i have visited. i will try these suggestions out and report back.

thanks again!

ok guys, just wanted to give an update. turns out i was using a 10.6.0 iso and not a 10.6.3. I got my hands on 10.6.3 and was able to install successfully. I did have to switch from myHack to Chameleon bootloader, because the system refused to boot unless i used the npci=0x2000 fix. myHack didnt seem to offer any way of specifying that in the bootloader, and it seems like myhack is directly using chameleon now anyway on their newer packages... anyway, Once i did that, it worked fine and i have a bootable system with 10.6.8.

however, im still having two issues:

1. audio is not recognized or working (i did install both kexts correctly - ethernet is working fine after the MAC address fix)

2. my video card, while recognized, is not showing any resolutions outside the one specified in the boot.plist. (i understand that's outside the scope of this article)... it shows it as 8400GS, nvidia, even includes the ROM revision... but no other resolutions besides 1028x768...

any suggestions on how to fix those two?

thanks again for the help!!! this is going great now, just need to fix those two issues and i should be set.

For the audio, be sure to be in 32 bits mode and use the kext from Cerastez. I tried others to get it working in 64bits, there is no way. Try to install several times. It has to work!

For the video be sure to use latest chameleon release. It sometimes solves the problem.

I used Kext wizard and chameleon wizard. But my video card is a HD5450....so look around!

ok guys, just wanted to give an update. turns out i was using a 10.6.0 iso and not a 10.6.3. I got my hands on 10.6.3 and was able to install successfully. I did have to switch from myHack to Chameleon bootloader, because the system refused to boot unless i used the npci=0x2000 fix. myHack didnt seem to offer any way of specifying that in the bootloader, and it seems like myhack is directly using chameleon now anyway on their newer packages... anyway, Once i did that, it worked fine and i have a bootable system with 10.6.8.

however, im still having two issues:

1. audio is not recognized or working (i did install both kexts correctly - ethernet is working fine after the MAC address fix)

2. my video card, while recognized, is not showing any resolutions outside the one specified in the boot.plist. (i understand that's outside the scope of this article)... it shows it as 8400GS, nvidia, even includes the ROM revision... but no other resolutions besides 1028x768...

any suggestions on how to fix those two?

thanks again for the help!!! this is going great now, just need to fix those two issues and i should be set.

i bet device id is 103c .. add it to the info.plist of nvda

can anybody point me in the way of a clear tutorial on how to do add that to the plist? ive been searching and all the methods that ive found are described very poorly or key details missing.

oh and i did get audio working. just installed cerastez' patch again and it started working. weird.

ok through a lot of experimentation, downloads and various attempts, i was able to get the graphics card working with the card code added to my boot.plist under device_properties and some other hacks.

if there's one thing i can share from this experience - make sure you are using a 10.6.3 installation and not a 10.6.0. 10.6.0 wont work.