Booting any install disk fails on HP XW8400

Macduzzit

5 posts in this topic

I have literally spent over 200 hours trying to boot installer discs on my XW8400. It has dual Xeon 5160 CPUs, 4GB matched ram. I am only able to boot successfully on a particular 10.5.6 disk, but no other. Every attempt throws a KP instantly with the following..."was expecting 2 cores but found only 1 for die1" The dsdt extracted under 10.5.6 shows 4 CPUS, starting with CPU1. Upon boot under 10.5.6 I see "CPU6, CPU0, CPU7, CPU1, CPU8, CPU9, CPU10". It also show 3 CPUS on boot saying "not synchronizing" for each one, the first 2 say -296, the 3rd says 251 or some similar positive #. ASP saYs 2 CPUS, 3cores under 10.5.6. Booting from USB I get "no system disk" after 1st boot, then I have to reinstall 10.5.6 again to be able to boot. Putting a DSDT in the installer never changes anything. I have set every combination in the BIOS several times but nothing changes the KP. Many people "claim" to have put 10.6 and 10.7 retail on these HP's but I sincerely doubt they are telling the truth. They claim to have used "my hack", [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]", and many of the popular methods but all I have tried give the same KP with no solution I have found. I have read every intense of XW8400 on the entire internet and found no solution to this KP, only saw a couple other posts on the entire net with the sam KP, some were on PPC macs! Making booting more difficult is only one USB device can be plugged in at any given time before booting or it results in a "non system disk " error! Very frustrating. I have never spent so much time with so little progress in 6 years of installing OSX86.

Should the SMBIOS be set for a "quad core" Xeon? All the SMBIOS.plist I have looked at on this machine show "1281" which is clearly wrong for the 5160 CPUS. I don't know how to create a workaround to get this thing to boot to an installer for 10.6 or 10.7. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

EDIT: Also noted one CPU is an 80 type and the other is a 65 type. Would that make a difference? It boots and runs under windows 7 with no problems, I would think it would run ok under OSX as well but who knows. I have no experience with dual CPU setups and none of Xeons either.

"I found a boot cd that worked staff, tested and approved.

I downloaded the image file here:

http://www.mediafire...064nia2a8d0xn52 (has two versions Standard and Legacy) used the Normal.

after giving the boot, put the Snow Leopard DVD, press F5, and type:

-x -v arch=i386 cpus=6 busratio=20

in my case was Xeon X5650 busratio cpus = 6 = 20

if another processor just change the number of cores multiplied 4 or 6 and the processor 20, 21, 23, 24 or 25.

Detail:

In SR-2 is thus:

- Processor 1 disabled

- 4GB of RAM only (not load more)

- ICHR10 - set as AHCI

Once installed kexts and everything, i activate the second processor and puts the rest of the memories in my case is 12GB.

Here it worked, not only have the Marvel network driver, if anyone gets going on here please.

good luck to all. "

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232333&st=0&p=1758099&hl=+evga%20+sr2&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=1758099

Try to PM (personal message) someone on this thread considering its a XEON

See here be's the big problem. All the boot discs have iMacs SMBIOS.plist bring to boot a computer with the same SMBIOS as a MacPro1,1. Booting a 2CPU 4 core computer using the tables from a 4 CPU 12 core computer is NEVER going to happen, which is the reason all the boot discs I've tried fail. They all have the SMBIOS from an iMac 8,1 or higher, MacPro3,1 or higher, so that IS causing a KP before anything even loads! I have 15 boot discs, 12 "hacked" discs, and the only disc that will boot is iPC 10.5.6. Also any boot disc using Chameleon will not boot, and installing any version of Chameleon to iPC 10.5.6 on the HD causes it to no longer be bootable no matter what I do after installing it. Using DSDTSE to build a DSDT has no positive effect either. There has to be something wrong with one of the 5160's that is only picked up under OSX 10.6, since 10.5 and win doze 7 boot fine.

This XW8400 is just not worth spending any more time on. I'll be taking it to the local fire tower and "crashing" it on video. At least I'll get some use and satisfaction out of it!

Thanks

Mac Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

panic(cpu0 caller 0x293dc7): "Should have 2 cores, but only found 1 for Die 1"@/SourceCache/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/i386/cpu_threads.c1108

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Addrress (4 potential args on stack)

balh blah blah

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@0x551b3000->0x551f3fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0x54f21000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x55113000

blah blah blah

System model name: MacPro4,1

System Uptime blah blah blah

The only thing that changes regardless of boot flags, is when I use a different boot disk. Instead of "System Model Name" being "MacPro4,1" it will change to iMac8,1 , 11,1 , or MacPro3,1. Everything else is always identical in the KP. I am convinced that CPU0 has a bad core, that also explains 10.5.6 showing 2 CPUS but only 3 cores as well.

• 1 month later...