793 replies to this topic

a3897431@nepwk.com

a3897431@nepwk.com

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi oegie,

thx for feedback. i had a gut feeling .. however, this doesnt change anything. I start the Vm and seconds later it stucks on the grey Apple Logo Screen

cheers
m

crowej

crowej

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The readme for the unlocker says

Step 4 - Uninstall the patch ?

I assume this is only if you want to revert back to vanilla ESXi ?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

The readme for the unlocker says

Step 4 - Uninstall the patch ?

I assume this is only if you want to revert back to vanilla ESXi ?

In a word, Yes, LoL!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Here is the unlocker for the new VMware ESXi 5.0.

http://goo.gl/UFbTZ

I will post more details later as for Lion there are still some challenges in getting installation media. Mac Son of Knife will help out with setting up and configuring Mac OS X guests. I will deal primarily with the patch itself. Please note that if there is an update or fix from VMware for the files patched I will have to issue a new patcher.

Please note there is a patch now available for ESXi 5.0 and this does update the files I patch. However the patcher still work with the new files which are build 474610.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Please note there is a patch now available for ESXi 5.0 and this does update the files I patch. However the patcher still work with the new files which are build 474610.

Donk,

Just to confirm, I assume we need to re-apply the patch following the update to build 474610?

Locoblade

Locoblade

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Guys

When I run unlocker I get the following permission denied error:

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.0.0
==============================
Patching files...
install.sh: line 13: ./bspatch: Permission denied

First time I've tried this so probably doing something silly, logging on via SSH using root if that matters.

Thanks

Anyone? ;)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Donk,

Just to confirm, I assume we need to re-apply the patch following the update to build 474610?

Yes the best sequence is to uninstall and install.

First time I've tried this so probably doing something silly, logging on via SSH using root if that matters.

Thanks

Anyone? ;)

Not logged in with root permissions?

Locoblade

Locoblade

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Not logged in with root permissions?

I'm logged in with the default "root" account which is a member of the root group

crazyx

crazyx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and Hello,

This is my first post here...

Yes the best sequence is to uninstall and install.

Your patch works great..Thanks a lot! Do you mean uninstall before ESXi patching and install after the ESXi patching is done?

Thanks a lot!

bye crazyx

russ79

russ79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but i ran the ESXi unlocker patch (after the ESXi 5 patches), connected locally to the ESXi server itself (its in a cluster currently) and created a VM with Apple MAC OS X 10.6 64bit as the OS (also tried 10.5 and 10.7)... when i try to power it on i get this:

Posted Image

Are there more modifications to make other than just installing the ESXi patch, rebooting, and creating an OS X VM?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but i ran the ESXi unlocker patch (after the ESXi 5 patches), connected locally to the ESXi server itself (its in a cluster currently) and created a VM with Apple MAC OS X 10.6 64bit as the OS (also tried 10.5 and 10.7)... when i try to power it on i get this:

Posted Image

Are there more modifications to make other than just installing the ESXi patch, rebooting, and creating an OS X VM?

Looks like it compares the monitor e.g. VMX files across the cluster. Best guess is run on all in cluster.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Hi and Hello,

This is my first post here...

Your patch works great..Thanks a lot! Do you mean uninstall before ESXi patching and install after the ESXi patching is done?

Thanks a lot!

bye crazyx

Glad Donk's patch is working for you, and yes uninstall Donk's Unlocker patch before you update to the latest ESXi 5 build, after the ESXi 5 update re install Donk's patch, OK.

cfrogjump

cfrogjump

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a esxi server running 5.0 unlocked running fine, uninstalled Donk's patch, patched esxi, re-applied Donk's patch and received the same "Could not read monitor binary" error. I tried a reinstall, patched esxi, then applying Donk's patch with the same results.

This is a single esxi server with only OS X running on it.

Any ideas?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Here is the unlocker for the new VMware ESXi 5.0.

http://goo.gl/UFbTZ

I will post more details later as for Lion there are still some challenges in getting installation media. Mac Son of Knife will help out with setting up and configuring Mac OS X guests. I will deal primarily with the patch itself. Please note that if there is an update or fix from VMware for the files patched I will have to issue a new patcher.

WARNING

Do not apply the ESXi patch ESXi500-201109001.zip as it is not compatible with my patcher. I will have to look into it and see what needs changing.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So nothing really changed with ESXi5, there was the talk that it will support Mac etc, yet we are in the same boat like with vSphere 4, right?

So the best/easiest solution for having Mac OS X server (what I need) would be to run Fusion 4 on real Mac hardware?

sebus

cfrogjump

cfrogjump

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So nothing really changed with ESXi5, there was the talk that it will support Mac etc, yet we are in the same boat like with vSphere 4, right?

So the best/easiest solution for having Mac OS X server (what I need) would be to run Fusion 4 on real Mac hardware?

sebus

That's not entirely correct. There is support for OS X in vSphere 5 whereas there was none in vSphere 4. The unlocked is extremely easy to use and works great on the released version. The patch is currently the only real problem. If you don't want the hassles of running on non-supported hardware purchase an xserve 3,1 and run esx on it.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
ebay only then, as xserve 3.1 is EOL

Will wait for the updated version then...

sebus

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

ebay only then, as xserve 3.1 is EOL

Will wait for the updated version then...

sebus

OK,

So if Apple have no intension of re-entering the Server market, then either VMware are just sharing code between versions, possible, or Apple intend to loosen the EULA for OS X and support it on other Intel, probably Xeon platforms, Server only, at some point in the future? Possible, but purly conjecture!

cfrogjump

cfrogjump

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

OK,

So if Apple have no intension of re-entering the Server market, then either VMware are just sharing code between versions, possible, or Apple intend to loosen the EULA for OS X and support it on other Intel, probably Xeon platforms, Server only, at some point in the future? Possible, but purly conjecture!

There has been some talk in both directions. My contacts at VMware have said they are working with Apple on loosening the EULA, but as you can imagine it is a sticky situation since Apple is primarily a hardware company and they don't want to miss out on that revenue. But at the same time they are missing the server revenue by discontinuing the Xserve.

Personally, I believe they are going to revamp the Mac Pro so that it will serve both the needs of the enterprise (ie rack-mounted) and that of the Desktop (tower). Don't ask me how they will but they are a pretty smart bunch of folks I'm sure they have it well in hand.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

There has been some talk in both directions. My contacts at VMware have said they are working with Apple on loosening the EULA, but as you can imagine it is a sticky situation since Apple is primarily a hardware company and they don't want to miss out on that revenue. But at the same time they are missing the server revenue by discontinuing the Xserve.

Personally, I believe they are going to revamp the Mac Pro so that it will serve both the needs of the enterprise (ie rack-mounted) and that of the Desktop (tower). Don't ask me how they will but they are a pretty smart bunch of folks I'm sure they have it well in hand.

I have checked and there is no code checking for Xserve that I can see and it booted fine on my 2010 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro. The Apple SMC driver loaded fine which is what the patch changes. However if you need to rely on Mac OS X, pick a supported solution! This is just an exercise in interest for me and would not rely on it to make money.

BTW new patch possibly tomorrow which works with ESXi500-201109001. I have it working just need to make a couple of changes to the scripts to fix a small problem with folders created.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy