ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm missing something here, but i ran the ESXi unlocker patch (after the ESXi 5 patches), connected locally to the ESXi server itself (its in a cluster currently) and created a VM with Apple MAC OS X 10.6 64bit as the OS (also tried 10.5 and 10.7)... when i try to power it on i get this:

4vnwgz.jpg

Are there more modifications to make other than just installing the ESXi patch, rebooting, and creating an OS X VM?

Looks like it compares the monitor e.g. VMX files across the cluster. Best guess is run on all in cluster.

Hi and Hello,

This is my first post here...

Your patch works great..Thanks a lot! Do you mean uninstall before ESXi patching and install after the ESXi patching is done?

Thanks a lot!

bye crazyx

Glad Donk's patch is working for you, and yes uninstall Donk's Unlocker patch before you update to the latest ESXi 5 build, after the ESXi 5 update re install Donk's patch, OK.

I had a esxi server running 5.0 unlocked running fine, uninstalled Donk's patch, patched esxi, re-applied Donk's patch and received the same "Could not read monitor binary" error. I tried a reinstall, patched esxi, then applying Donk's patch with the same results.

This is a single esxi server with only OS X running on it.

Any ideas?

Here is the unlocker for the new VMware ESXi 5.0.

http://goo.gl/UFbTZ

I will post more details later as for Lion there are still some challenges in getting installation media. Mac Son of Knife will help out with setting up and configuring Mac OS X guests. I will deal primarily with the patch itself. Please note that if there is an update or fix from VMware for the files patched I will have to issue a new patcher.

WARNING

Do not apply the ESXi patch ESXi500-201109001.zip as it is not compatible with my patcher. I will have to look into it and see what needs changing.

So nothing really changed with ESXi5, there was the talk that it will support Mac etc, yet we are in the same boat like with vSphere 4, right?

So the best/easiest solution for having Mac OS X server (what I need) would be to run Fusion 4 on real Mac hardware?

sebus

So nothing really changed with ESXi5, there was the talk that it will support Mac etc, yet we are in the same boat like with vSphere 4, right?

So the best/easiest solution for having Mac OS X server (what I need) would be to run Fusion 4 on real Mac hardware?

sebus

That's not entirely correct. There is support for OS X in vSphere 5 whereas there was none in vSphere 4. The unlocked is extremely easy to use and works great on the released version. The patch is currently the only real problem. If you don't want the hassles of running on non-supported hardware purchase an xserve 3,1 and run esx on it.

ebay only then, as xserve 3.1 is EOL

Will wait for the updated version then...

sebus

OK,

So if Apple have no intension of re-entering the Server market, then either VMware are just sharing code between versions, possible, or Apple intend to loosen the EULA for OS X and support it on other Intel, probably Xeon platforms, Server only, at some point in the future? Possible, but purly conjecture!

OK,

So if Apple have no intension of re-entering the Server market, then either VMware are just sharing code between versions, possible, or Apple intend to loosen the EULA for OS X and support it on other Intel, probably Xeon platforms, Server only, at some point in the future? Possible, but purly conjecture!

There has been some talk in both directions. My contacts at VMware have said they are working with Apple on loosening the EULA, but as you can imagine it is a sticky situation since Apple is primarily a hardware company and they don't want to miss out on that revenue. But at the same time they are missing the server revenue by discontinuing the Xserve.

Personally, I believe they are going to revamp the Mac Pro so that it will serve both the needs of the enterprise (ie rack-mounted) and that of the Desktop (tower). Don't ask me how they will but they are a pretty smart bunch of folks I'm sure they have it well in hand.

There has been some talk in both directions. My contacts at VMware have said they are working with Apple on loosening the EULA, but as you can imagine it is a sticky situation since Apple is primarily a hardware company and they don't want to miss out on that revenue. But at the same time they are missing the server revenue by discontinuing the Xserve.

Personally, I believe they are going to revamp the Mac Pro so that it will serve both the needs of the enterprise (ie rack-mounted) and that of the Desktop (tower). Don't ask me how they will but they are a pretty smart bunch of folks I'm sure they have it well in hand.

I have checked and there is no code checking for Xserve that I can see and it booted fine on my 2010 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro. The Apple SMC driver loaded fine which is what the patch changes. However if you need to rely on Mac OS X, pick a supported solution! This is just an exercise in interest for me and would not rely on it to make money.

BTW new patch possibly tomorrow which works with ESXi500-201109001. I have it working just need to make a couple of changes to the scripts to fix a small problem with folders created.

I have checked and there is no code checking for Xserve that I can see and it booted fine on my 2010 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro. The Apple SMC driver loaded fine which is what the patch changes. However if you need to rely on Mac OS X, pick a supported solution! This is just an exercise in interest for me and would not rely on it to make money.

BTW new patch possibly tomorrow which works with ESXi500-201109001. I have it working just need to make a couple of changes to the scripts to fix a small problem with folders created.

You are correct. There is no code checking for the Xserve specifically. Possible driver issues and support from VMware is the only real problem with running in on something other than the Xserve. The only thing limiting ESXi on Apple Hardware is the SMC check, which your patch fixes.

Thanks for your hard work on this, it's so nice to be able to run OS X virtualized on ESXi and on non-Apple hardware. Now I can sell my old Mac Pro!

Hi Donk,

Do you think is it possible to bypass the SMC check by inserting SMC device emulating code into DSDT?

Please refer to following topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170384

If it is possible, we may keep the ESXi binaries untouched.

Thank you for your hard working on Mac OS X visualization!

Nope that technique doesn't work, you still need to emulate the device as it uses IO ports to read the haiku.

UPDATED 19/09/11

Here is the unlocker for the new VMware ESXi 5.0 updated for latest patch from VMware.

History

-------

1.0.0 - First release for ESXi 5.0 Build 469512

1.0.1 - Upate for Build 474610 and fixed a bug in shell scripts

Links:

ESXi 5.0.0 Build 469512 - http://goo.gl/mjhKo

ESXi 5.0.0 Build 474610 - http://goo.gl/nx8Xg

Donk has provided an updated "ESXi 5 Unlocker" which supports ESXi 5 updated with patch ESXi500-201109001.zip which takes ESXi 5.0.0 to build 474610.

The recommendation is to un-install the "ESXi 5 Unlocker (469512)", do a re-boot and then install the new version of the "ESXi 5 Unlocker (474610)" , again a re-boot will be required for the "Unlocker" to be activated.

Special thanks to Donk for the original "ESXi 5 Unlocker" and the updated version.

This is great news! Thanks a lot to Donk for his continued efforts and time invested into giving us a feasible path towards deploying Mac OS X Server onto other hardware than Mac Pro or Mac mini...

The top notch feature would be to use vSphere vCenter Server to manage those VMs and/or migrate them from one ESXi to another.

Looking forward to see such a patch, and kudos again!

HydroPhil.

Help

Im getting an "invalid gzip magic" error when following the instructions.

see below

~ # cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/

/vmfs/volumes/4e7a5aaa-c372a8e3-9fe7-1078d2717a18 # tar -xzvf unlock-esxi500-469512.tgz

tar: invalid gzip magic

does it have anything to do with the datastore1 folder appearing renamed to the "4e7a....a18" string

thanks in advance

adam

Help

see below

/vmfs/volumes/4e7a5aaa-c372a8e3-9fe7-1078d2717a18 # tar -xzvf unlock-esxi500-469512.tgz

does it have anything to do with the datastore1 folder appearing renamed to the "4e7a....a18" string

thanks in advance

adam

Adam,

I had exactly the same problem, not sure why, the tgz appeared fine when I used winrar on my local Windows 7 PC.

So to resolve the problem I did the following:

Copy the unrared folder on to the ESXi 5 datastore, via vSphere Client or WinSCP. Then go to the console on the ESXi host ALT F1 log in as root and navigate to the copied folder. We need to change the permissions of the files, so use "chmod +rwx *.*" and also "chmod +rwx *", this will make all the files in the folder read, write, executable and they will be green if you do an "ls" (this may be overkill in terms of permissons but it works).

You should now be able to run the "./install.sh" command and get the output as described in Donk's readme.txt file.

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Help

see below

thanks in advance

adam

Just do a

# tar xvf unlock-esxi500-469512.tgz

it might be that its not gzip-ed at all.

I've tried everything I can think of, but all I get is the gray apple screen.

How can I boot mac os x into verbose mode with EFI? In the past, I could input the "-x" option in the darwin bootloader.

EDIT: tried a different lion installer. It gets stuck here now. I also tried booting my old vanilla snow leopard installer and all I get is the gray apple logo. (same behavior as the first lion installer)

EDIT2: this is a whitebox esxi with a Celeron E3200 cpu (very cheap, I know, but its only for my personal home use). Also, my snow leopard server used to work perfectly on esxi 4.1 with Donk's old patch.

Hey i was also trying to find how i could boot in verbose mode ... after a lot of searching and a little imagination i found the way...

Power on the VM and when you reach the at VMware logo press F8 this will drop you to the EFI menu

Select "Boot Manager" and then "EFI Internal Shell" you will be presented with a Device Mapping Table focus at fsX: line that should say "Removable Hard Disk" in my case it was fs0:

So at EFI shell type

Shell> fs0:

fs0\:> cd \usr\standalone\i386

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> dir

there you should find the boot.efi executable to boot just type

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> boot -v npci=0x2000

or whatever other options you might want to pass to the kernel (-x -f etc etc)

• Like 1