G5 Mod - Cutting, but no JBWeld

ponch0v

8 posts in this topic

The PSU there works pretty well. The unused cables are in front, and the power cable runs under the lip where the side panel sits into the socket. I had a dead Cinema Display brick that I removed the socket, fits great. Use a 90deg power cable to reduce the overall width of the unit.

Used adhesive backed cable clips to route everything and modified the original front i/o cable bracket to route the AlohaCab i/o cable (which is great by the way).

I saw that. I used the clips that came with the G5 I just cut the whole piece into little pieces. I need to use a better adhesive though as the glue I used does not hold very well. Either that or scuff up the surface. I mounted mine to the bottom using L brackets and it is not pretty. Next time I'm bored I may use your idea as I have a lot of space in the front.

I also have the AlohaCab cable which is VERY well made. I however did not read the description and had to order a Firewire PCIx1 card so I'm waiting for that to come before the front I/O will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few final pics of this build. Reoriented the PSU to have the fan point toward the front, and made a new bracket to mount it. Just a piece of 3/4" aluminum angle.

Also rewired and mounted the stock G5 fans up front. Flipped the fans so they draw in air, so needed 1 1/4" screws to hold them to the mount.

G5_6.jpg

G5_9.jpg

G5_7.jpg

G5_11.jpg

G5_8.jpg

G5_10.jpg