Can't get ATI HD4850 working in 10.7.1

frickingphil

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm at wit's end with this GPU. I've got everything else working in OS X, sound, network and all that jazz, but I cannot change resolution past 1024x768 and I don't have QE/CI. I'm running in 32-bit mode because my keyboard is PS/2 and Voodoo PS2 seems to only work with a 32-bit kernel.

I've tried:

• adding identifier to ATI4800Controller.kext
  • using ATY_init from netkas.org (which ended up causing KP at boot)
  • using 10.7.1 qe/ci exotic patch from netkas.org
  • adding identifier to ATIRadeonX2000.kext
  • turning GraphicsEnabler on & off
  • installing 10.6.8 driver using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]
  • installing Chameleon 2.0-RC5, as well as Chimera 1.4.1 & 1.5.1

I see entries in the Console for "com.apple.kext.ati4800controller might not load - kextd is currently unavailable" too.

Hopefully someone's got ideas I haven't thought of, this is my first hackintosh (but nowhere near my first Mac, lol)

Hey guys,

I'm at wit's end with this GPU. I've got everything else working in OS X, sound, network and all that jazz, but I cannot change resolution past 1024x768 and I don't have QE/CI. I'm running in 32-bit mode because my keyboard is PS/2 and Voodoo PS2 seems to only work with a 32-bit kernel.

I've tried:

• adding identifier to ATI4800Controller.kext
  • using ATY_init from netkas.org (which ended up causing KP at boot)
  • using 10.7.1 qe/ci exotic patch from netkas.org
  • adding identifier to ATIRadeonX2000.kext
  • turning GraphicsEnabler on & off
  • installing 10.6.8 driver using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]
  • installing Chameleon 2.0-RC5, as well as Chimera 1.4.1 & 1.5.1

I see entries in the Console for "com.apple.kext.ati4800controller might not load - kextd is currently unavailable" too.

Hopefully someone's got ideas I haven't thought of, this is my first hackintosh (but nowhere near my first Mac, lol)

i can't help you, but I can tell you that GraphicsEnabler=Yes together with ATY_Init will not work. Either one of them, not both.

If you have your old (10.7.0) ATIkext's backed up, I'd try using those.

I haven't gone to 10.7.1 yet because I noted the HDMI drivers have been updated in those kexts (and for the problem you are now expiring. - I have a 4870.)

Please let us know how it works out (both ATY_init and rollback if you choose to go that way.)

Oh, and another think. I recommend going back to Chameleon RC4, RC5 caused graffix issues for me too...

If you have your old (10.7.0) ATIkext's backed up, I'd try using those.

I haven't gone to 10.7.1 yet because I noted the HDMI drivers have been updated in those kexts (and for the problem you are now expiring. - I have a 4870.)

Please let us know how it works out (both ATY_init and rollback if you choose to go that way.)

Oh, and another think. I recommend going back to Chameleon RC4, RC5 caused graffix issues for me too...

I found the right combination of stuff:

-the latest ATY_init beta from netkas.org

-ATI4800Controller & ATIRadeonX2000 modified by someone (i forgot already, but I made sure to burn these kexts to a CD lol)

-GraphicsEnabler=no

-Chimera 1.5.1

I've attached a zip of the 3 kexts that worked for me, in case someone else happens upon this thread with the same problem. I installed them to S/L/E by dragging them onto Kext Utility.

4850kexts.zip