Fermi Graphics Power Management

camoguy

68 posts in this topic

Hi, Post your kext here, I'll take a look. I'm also seeing certain things you described, duno if it's related but we can look at it closer.

hi, thanks for help, i have already solved the problem... there must have been a typo in my AGPM kext... I deleted the kext and modified the original one by copying the iMac12,1 values to iMac12,2 (my system is set to iMac12,2)... everything works now - sleep, shutdown, restart, cinebench gives me 43 fps, i don't know if it's a high value, but with the original AGPM it gave me 6 fps, so i am satisfied :D...

one more question camoguy, i let the thershold values on iMac12,1 defaults, meaning this:

<key>iMac12,2</key>
 <dict>
 <key>display</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>BoostPState</key>
	 <array>
		 <integer>0</integer>
		 <integer>1</integer>
		 <integer>2</integer>
		 <integer>3</integer>
	 </array>
	 <key>BoostTime</key>
	 <array>
		 <integer>3</integer>
		 <integer>3</integer>
		 <integer>3</integer>
		 <integer>3</integer>
	 </array>
	 <key>Heuristic</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>ID</key>
		 <integer>0</integer>
		 <key>IdleInterval</key>
		 <integer>100</integer>
		 <key>TargetCount</key>
		 <integer>5</integer>
		 <key>Threshold_High</key>
		 <array>
			 <integer>80</integer>
			 <integer>80</integer>
			 <integer>80</integer>
			 <integer>100</integer>
		 </array>
		 <key>Threshold_Low</key>
		 <array>
			 <integer>0</integer>
			 <integer>90</integer>
			 <integer>90</integer>
			 <integer>90</integer>
		 </array>
	 </dict>
 <key>control-id</key>
 <integer>17</integer>
 </dict>
 <key>LogControl</key>
 <integer>0</integer>
</dict>

is that bad? i know you have modified your values, but in my case, everything runs smoothly... CIV V runs ok, cinebench... and btw. i forgot to mention, that i have not had to turn off the <GraphicsMode> in boot.plist ...

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.luisfdoc1.zip

Give this a go. I made a few modifications. Tested it, got 34 fps in cinebench.

Getting 44.9 in windows

hey camoguy, thanks heaps for your hard work on this. it's much appreciated.

i'm using that file you just posted but am having no luck in getting the card to change modes. when the AGPM.kext is removed from S/L/E, i get full performance. As soon as it's back in with the Info.plist you provided above, it only gets me 7fps in cinebench.

The extension seems to be loaded (ie it's in system profiler), but can't see any logs in the console - even though logcontrol is set to 1.

this is my ioreg -l | rep attached:

"attached-gpu-control-path" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci-bridge@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM"

i'm using a DSDT from tonymacs database. motherboard is a GB P55A-UD3R, card is a 560 Ti. I'm running my system as a MacPro4,1.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

hey camoguy, thanks heaps for your hard work on this. it's much appreciated.

i'm using that file you just posted but am having no luck in getting the card to change modes. when the AGPM.kext is removed from S/L/E, i get full performance. As soon as it's back in with the Info.plist you provided above, it only gets me 7fps in cinebench.

The extension seems to be loaded (ie it's in system profiler), but can't see any logs in the console - even though logcontrol is set to 1.

this is my ioreg -l | rep attached:

"attached-gpu-control-path" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci-bridge@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM"

i'm using a DSDT from tonymacs database. motherboard is a GB P55A-UD3R, card is a 560 Ti. I'm running my system as a MacPro4,1.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Greetings, okay I've revised it. I think it was that control id 17, changed to 18. This file is from a Lion 10.7.1 os x system.

AGPM_GTX560_Controlid18_MacPro41_Generic.zip

Kext Utility Lion App

Remember to drag this file ontop of kext utility lion.

KextUtilityLion.zip

You can achieve full performance from the card by changing SensorOption to 0. It's useful for testing and troubleshooting. This disables power savings and your card will be at maximum performance.

awesome thanks man.. that's working now.

one thing i've noticed is that when im watching flash videos online, they stop and start every now and then. having a look at the console shows me:

screenshot20111005at823.png

that was about 30 seconds of low quality flash with nothing else running.

another thing is that my video card fans spin up more with the power management on than when i've removed the kext all together.

Maybe these cards aren't meant to be controlled?

Hey guys, Asus p6t deluxe v2 with 560ti here. Everything works fine and I've been using the stuff posted in this thread, but I seem to have a weird stuttering issue which only shows itself in some things:

-Duke nukem forever stutters like mad on mac, and generally has terrible performance

Similar behaviour is displayed by the Stix visualiser in itunes.

Do you guys have the same problem? Run iTunes in 32-bit mode (right click on it and get info, tick the box for 32 bit) and use the Stix visualiser and put it into full screen mode. Does everything run smoothly or no?

Other games like Dirt 2 run okay (better in windows, but that's obvious).

Glad its not just me.. no, single monitor setup here. Also, to the thread starter-- which DSDT do you use? We have the same motherboard, and if s3 sleep works for you perfectly, I'd like to have a go with your DSDT

• 3 months later...

Hi i have the nvidia gtx560TI OC system is slow and have some freeze HQ/CI is enabled but AppleGraphics .... not set good, i have read the thread but don'y understand good....

i have send to terminal the line ioreg -l grep attached-gpu but in result don't have a line with .........GFX0 OR 3 my smbios.plist is mac pro 9.1 is installed with motherboard packet

my system is lion 10.7.2 i try smbios.plist macpro 4.1 and have KP after restart

i'm attached some files please help me !!!!

i have try with final cut prox and photoshop cs5 have most freeze

cpu is core 2 quad q9300 - MB MSIP35NEO2 FR - videocards GTX560 TI OC

my files.zip

• 2 months later...

Is anybody experiencing poor performace after upgrading to 10.7.3? I've done all the manual edits I used before on 10.7.2, but my performance dropped from a 46 Cinebench score to 35. I have a GTX 570 HD.

Did you get it working? I've been searching for weeks, nobody seems to have posted their solution for getting full power out of their GTX570 HD v.v

• 1 month later...

Hi CamoGuy. I see you worksss!! thanks for helping. you can save me? I have one gtx 560M 3GB GDDR5 Asus g74sx-dh71.

i run ioreg and report this: http://cl.ly/HHLE

I try install this GPU but freeze the system always. :/ Help me please.

i have i7 2670QM and Intel HD OFF: http://cl.ly/HFr3http://cl.ly/HFr3

my openGL test: http://cl.ly/1x3S472O0k0A19403y3u

• 1 year later...

Update: Wasn't too pleased with the last settings because AGPM was down shifting from full graphics acceleration to half. This is because windowed OpenGL apps consume less GPU power and AGPM thinks it's okay to conserve power, bad apple... Thats one thing that I don't get about AGPM and the OSX operating system in general, if there's an OpenGL application running, that should throw up a flag somewhere and prevent agpm from conserving power, that is a mystery. These settings aren't the final solution but it's a step in the correct direction.

DMvu52a.png

Hello once again, I find myself interested in working on my hackintosh. After several attempts I installed 10.9 and I have been very pleased with the results overall. I purchased a GBU521 bluetooth dongle off newegg for $20 and it works just like oem bluetooth in that the wireless keyboard and mouse can wake the machine out of sleep and sleep is working well too.

Only problem I'm seeing is my onboard sound AD2000B codec works but there's room for improvement. On boot the messages I am seeing are 11/20/13 9:16:07.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 514 that line repeats about 20 times. My bluray drive quits working, I press the eject button at the top and I get a popup dialog like I just inserted a disc but then when I click on it I get an error about drive not being supported it's a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-205.

The reason I am posting is because I wanted to share some more insight about APGM and my experiences with EVGA GTX 560 Ti (That I had to RMA, thanks EVGA for lifetime warranty). It was performing well but not great. Tonight I made some modifications to the Info.plist in APGM and got much better results.

At the desktop the power draw is 220 watts.

9yJfIt2.png

wgRjHEh.png

I am impressed with the results of my latest tweaking. 

I ran Geekbench 2 on my Windows 7 and 10.9 and here are the results for that.

zyudhgP.png

6jh96iR.png

I tried something different today with the AGPM Info.plist. I added BoostPState and BoostTime as you can see in the screenshot. I basically mimicked what some of the other definitions had in order to get a more OEM feeling Hack. I also added Heuristics section but I left the High and Low fields out. This setup isn't quite tuned in yet as my log shows me I am switching power states quite heavily but that will be fixed in the future with some more tweaking. I do love Command + Shift + 4, makes it easier to share stuff and <3 imgur.com

7ZYjUk9.png

C4D1wJ0.png

• 5 months later...

bJ487hl.png

Reporting in, 10.9.2 update successful. I'm running Clover v2652 with the P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. These FPS are close to what I was getting. I got sound working using AppleHDA using the patch-hda script I found here. I had to rehack my AGPM kexts for this update and the AppleHDA. Clover efi does a great job and I am really happy that I switched to this boot loader, steep learning curve but worth it imo. The auto patched DSDT file Clover creates required a little bit of work to get it to compile correct with minimal warnings. I used MaciASL to apply the AMI motherboard patch, added Ermac DSDT edits for HDEF. I have seen some fermi freezes with some previous settings so I am still trying to figure out how to make the system completely stable. My magic mouse while is working, will occasionally lag and has a mind of it's own.  This is my current AGPM. N8i0Qu2.png