67 replies to this topic

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

@camoguy
I deleted the thresholds, and Cinebench ran between Gstate 1 and 2, same results (16.8 fps), My CPU usage was around 13%. and GPU usage was between 13% and 50% (atMonitor app):

-----
Darwin Luiss-Mac-Pro.local 11.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
-----
I ran GeekBench (Intel 32 bits, Trial did not allow me to choose 64bit)

Benchmark Summary
  Integer Score			  4806 ||||||
  Floating Point Score	   8954 |||||||||||
  Memory Score			   3320 ||||
  Stream Score			   3966 |||||

Geekbench Score			5876 |||||||

System Information
  Operating System	  Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Build 11B26)
  Model				 MacPro4,1
  Motherboard		   Apple Inc. Mac-F221BEC8 Rev 1.xx
  Processor			 Intel Core i7-950 @ 3.81 GHz
						1 Processor, 4 Cores, 8 Threads
  Processor ID		  GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
  L1 Instruction Cache  32.0 KB x 4
  L1 Data Cache		 32.0 KB x 4
  L2 Cache			  256 KB x 4
  L3 Cache			  8.00 MB
  Memory				6.00 GB 1658 MHz DDR3
  BIOS				  Apple Inc. MP41.88Z.0081.B08.1001221313

-----
Then, I went back to have Thresholds, LOW(97,98,99,100) and H(0,98,99,100), ran Cinebench
and I logged from (atMonitor app), even at G-State 0, my GPU usage is very low! avg 13%

By the way my Card is :
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked.

Any idea? ;)
Thanks!

Your geekbench score is about half of what it should be. I don't know man. I would try reinstalling. I've been having issues with cmos reset and annoying hangs on reboot. I decided I would reinstall to a spinning disk parititon and let windows have the ssd.

luisfdoc1

luisfdoc1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
This is sad ;) ... yeah, I ran GeekBench in Windows, and I got 10,803. I am also planning in getting an SSD for Windows, so I would be reinstalling Lion, but I doubt it would solve anything since my install is less than a week old (fresh install)...

What Method did you follow to install Lion?

Your geekbench score is about half of what it should be. I don't know man. I would try reinstalling. I've been having issues with cmos reset and annoying hangs on reboot. I decided I would reinstall to a spinning disk parititon and let windows have the ssd.

luisfdoc1

luisfdoc1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally I was able to find my performance issue. It was in the BIOS! . I had SpeedStep and C-State Disabled. By enabling SpeedStep I gained almost all the performance, and the C-State gave me a little bit more!

Attached File  luis_Cinebench.png   59.11KB   20 downloads

Attached File  luis_GeekBench.png   92.24KB   30 downloads

thiago.net

thiago.net

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Finally I was able to find my performance issue. It was in the BIOS! . I had SpeedStep and C-State Disabled. By enabling SpeedStep I gained almost all the performance, and the C-State gave me a little bit more!

Luis, put the files that I used and edited for testing!

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

I don't understand why that didn't affect Windows peformance. In windows you were getting good results, but os x it was acting slow. Well anyways, great that you got it fixed. Wish you good luck with it.

luisfdoc1

luisfdoc1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, I disabled those CPU features when I was overclocking, and those features are actually for saving "power"; SpeedStep is just to change the CPU multiplier, but in Windows that means CPU is running at full multiplier and No-Power-savings... Somehow OSX does not see it the same way and prefers to just use the lowest multiplier...

So, what would be the best (recommended) Thresholds? the ones you are using?
Thanks!

I don't understand why that didn't affect Windows peformance. In windows you were getting good results, but os x it was acting slow. Well anyways, great that you got it fixed. Wish you good luck with it.

Hi, what files exactly do you want me to test?

Luis, put the files that I used and edited for testing!

thiago.net

thiago.net

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Well, I disabled those CPU features when I was overclocking, and those features are actually for saving "power"; SpeedStep is just to change the CPU multiplier, but in Windows that means CPU is running at full multiplier and No-Power-savings... Somehow OSX does not see it the same way and prefers to just use the lowest multiplier...

So, what would be the best (recommended) Thresholds? the ones you are using?
Thanks!

Hi, what files exactly do you want me to test?

I want the files that you used!
Please!

luisfdoc1

luisfdoc1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Assuming your GeForce is already recognized, just use this info.plist that goes into your AGPM kext.
But we aware that my thresholds are only for testing/benchmarking since they enforce it to stay mostly in G-state 0.
I have not done anything else, besides tweaking the AGPM and adding my device ID...

Attached File  AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip   65.56KB   50 downloads

I want the files that you used!
Please!

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
a little offtopic, but...

i edited the AGPM kext according to this guide. everything works like a charm, except a few lags (i suppose it's because of the gpu power state switching)... but one other thing came up, which i dont understand - when i restart or shutdown my system, the machine won't restart or turn off... everything turns off, the usb mouse, disks spin down, but the machine won't power off.... whe i use the original AGPM kext, everything works... any clues?

i have a gf gtx 560 (without TI) (AGPM set exactly as in the guide here http://www.insanelym...p...id=1752679 ... basically the same setup as in this thread, just other threshold values and one extra value - <key>SensorSampleRate</key>
<integer>4</integer> ), p8p67 deluxe mobo with DSDT

any help appreciated, thx Posted Image

EDIT: i think i found the reason, my AGPM kext isnt loaded :/ ...i dont see it in System information / Software / Extensions ... when i use the original kext, it is there... i think that's the reason for the reset/shutdown problem.... hopefully i'll find out what i did wrong

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

a little offtopic, but...

i edited the AGPM kext according to this guide. everything works like a charm, except a few lags (i suppose it's because of the gpu power state switching)... but one other thing came up, which i dont understand - when i restart or shutdown my system, the machine won't restart or turn off... everything turns off, the usb mouse, disks spin down, but the machine won't power off.... whe i use the original AGPM kext, everything works... any clues?

i have a gf gtx 560 (without TI) (AGPM set exactly as in the guide here http://www.insanelym...p...id=1752679 ... basically the same setup as in this thread, just other threshold values and one extra value - <key>SensorSampleRate</key>
<integer>4</integer> ), p8p67 deluxe mobo with DSDT

any help appreciated, thx Posted Image

Hi, Post your kext here, I'll take a look. I'm also seeing certain things you described, duno if it's related but we can look at it closer.

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi, Post your kext here, I'll take a look. I'm also seeing certain things you described, duno if it's related but we can look at it closer.

hi, thanks for help, i have already solved the problem... there must have been a typo in my AGPM kext... I deleted the kext and modified the original one by copying the iMac12,1 values to iMac12,2 (my system is set to iMac12,2)... everything works now - sleep, shutdown, restart, cinebench gives me 43 fps, i don't know if it's a high value, but with the original AGPM it gave me 6 fps, so i am satisfied :D...

one more question camoguy, i let the thershold values on iMac12,1 defaults, meaning this:
<key>iMac12,2</key>
	 <dict>
	 <key>display</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>BoostPState</key>
		 <array>
			 <integer>0</integer>
			 <integer>1</integer>
			 <integer>2</integer>
			 <integer>3</integer>
		 </array>
		 <key>BoostTime</key>
		 <array>
			 <integer>3</integer>
			 <integer>3</integer>
			 <integer>3</integer>
			 <integer>3</integer>
		 </array>
		 <key>Heuristic</key>
		 <dict>
			 <key>ID</key>
			 <integer>0</integer>
			 <key>IdleInterval</key>
			 <integer>100</integer>
			 <key>TargetCount</key>
			 <integer>5</integer>
			 <key>Threshold_High</key>
			 <array>
				 <integer>80</integer>
				 <integer>80</integer>
				 <integer>80</integer>
				 <integer>100</integer>
			 </array>
			 <key>Threshold_Low</key>
			 <array>
				 <integer>0</integer>
				 <integer>90</integer>
				 <integer>90</integer>
				 <integer>90</integer>
			 </array>
		 </dict>
	 <key>control-id</key>
	 <integer>17</integer>
	 </dict>
	 <key>LogControl</key>
	 <integer>0</integer>
 </dict>

is that bad? i know you have modified your values, but in my case, everything runs smoothly... CIV V runs ok, cinebench... and btw. i forgot to mention, that i have not had to turn off the <GraphicsMode> in boot.plist ...

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hmmm, well... everything works, except SLEEP.... have to do some research

EDIT: it's dsdt related, nothing AGPM related

stevekicks

stevekicks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Give this a go. I made a few modifications. Tested it, got 34 fps in cinebench.
Getting 44.9 in windows

hey camoguy, thanks heaps for your hard work on this. it's much appreciated.

i'm using that file you just posted but am having no luck in getting the card to change modes. when the AGPM.kext is removed from S/L/E, i get full performance. As soon as it's back in with the Info.plist you provided above, it only gets me 7fps in cinebench.

The extension seems to be loaded (ie it's in system profiler), but can't see any logs in the console - even though logcontrol is set to 1.

this is my ioreg -l | rep attached:
"attached-gpu-control-path" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci-bridge@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM"

i'm using a DSDT from tonymacs database. motherboard is a GB P55A-UD3R, card is a 560 Ti. I'm running my system as a MacPro4,1.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

hey camoguy, thanks heaps for your hard work on this. it's much appreciated.

i'm using that file you just posted but am having no luck in getting the card to change modes. when the AGPM.kext is removed from S/L/E, i get full performance. As soon as it's back in with the Info.plist you provided above, it only gets me 7fps in cinebench.

The extension seems to be loaded (ie it's in system profiler), but can't see any logs in the console - even though logcontrol is set to 1.

this is my ioreg -l | rep attached:

"attached-gpu-control-path" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci-bridge@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM"

i'm using a DSDT from tonymacs database. motherboard is a GB P55A-UD3R, card is a 560 Ti. I'm running my system as a MacPro4,1.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Greetings, okay I've revised it. I think it was that control id 17, changed to 18. This file is from a Lion 10.7.1 os x system.
Attached File  AGPM_GTX560_Controlid18_MacPro41_Generic.zip   73.6KB   28 downloads
Kext Utility Lion App
Remember to drag this file ontop of kext utility lion.
Attached File  KextUtilityLion.zip   281.3KB   10 downloads

You can achieve full performance from the card by changing SensorOption to 0. It's useful for testing and troubleshooting. This disables power savings and your card will be at maximum performance.

stevekicks

stevekicks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
awesome thanks man.. that's working now.

one thing i've noticed is that when im watching flash videos online, they stop and start every now and then. having a look at the console shows me:

Posted Image

that was about 30 seconds of low quality flash with nothing else running.

another thing is that my video card fans spin up more with the power management on than when i've removed the kext all together.

Maybe these cards aren't meant to be controlled?

jamezelle

jamezelle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Any one else still getting fermi freezes on lion? I still am on my GTX460M, made the AGPM edits and such but still getting random freezes, with the FECS err: Watchdog timeout and SW Notify errors...

Dojomann

Dojomann

Mach popcorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hey guys, Asus p6t deluxe v2 with 560ti here. Everything works fine and I've been using the stuff posted in this thread, but I seem to have a weird stuttering issue which only shows itself in some things:

-Duke nukem forever stutters like mad on mac, and generally has terrible performance

Similar behaviour is displayed by the Stix visualiser in itunes.

Do you guys have the same problem? Run iTunes in 32-bit mode (right click on it and get info, tick the box for 32 bit) and use the Stix visualiser and put it into full screen mode. Does everything run smoothly or no?

Other games like Dirt 2 run okay (better in windows, but that's obvious).

dysfunction

dysfunction

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Stix stutters here as well. Do you by any chance have dual monitors?

Dojomann

Dojomann

Mach popcorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Glad its not just me.. no, single monitor setup here. Also, to the thread starter-- which DSDT do you use? We have the same motherboard, and if s3 sleep works for you perfectly, I'd like to have a go with your DSDT

Dojomann

Dojomann

Mach popcorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
*bump* anyone? I really want this issue fixed, (or shown to be non-existent with some other settings that i'm missing), as I like gaming on mac :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy