Laptop - No internal display ATI Radeon Mobility (5470)

Sangx

10 posts in this topic

I managed to install Lion on my Sony Vaio which has a ATI Radeon 5470 mobility. Installation was possible only via HDMI cable being attached to an external screen. Almost everything seems to work, but the main problem is that the internal display won't work (goes black). I read countless threads on various places and saw that only "desktop" versions are supported as the port for the internal screen on laptops differs from that on macbooks.

I also came across a post about editing personalities in framebuffer to make the screen work, although I am not sure if that would be possible in Lion. So is there a way to make the internal screen work? (maybe a patched framebuffer?)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I managed to install Lion on my Sony Vaio which has a ATI Radeon 5470 mobility. Installation was possible only via HDMI cable being attached to an external screen. Almost everything seems to work, but the main problem is that the internal display won't work (goes black). I read countless threads on various places and saw that only "desktop" versions are supported as the port for the internal screen on laptops differs from that on macbooks.

I also came across a post about editing personalities in framebuffer to make the screen work, although I am not sure if that would be possible in Lion. So is there a way to make the internal screen work? (maybe a patched framebuffer?)

Thanks!

So have you managed to find a fix for this problem ?? i have a vaio laptop with ati 5470 hd as well and the internal lcd

is not working on lion , although the installation was fine and lcd was working when installing the lion .

i dont have an external monitor so i dont know if it will work or not.

So have you managed to find a fix for this problem ?? i have a vaio laptop with ati 5470 hd as well and the internal lcd

is not working on lion , although the installation was fine and lcd was working when installing the lion .

i dont have an external monitor so i dont know if it will work or not.

Nope, I have not found a fix yet. Tried several framebuffers that claim to make internal screen work, tried patching the personalities etc. I am still stuck.

Nope, I have not found a fix yet. Tried several framebuffers that claim to make internal screen work, tried patching the personalities etc. I am still stuck.

Have you tried overriding your Display EDID ?

I had to do that on my Acer 3820T to get the laptop built-in LCD screen to work.

it's a bit complicated but does work. See this link

I did that for SL 10.6 and then for Lion DP4, I used the same EDID.

I have not yet installed Lion Retail release but assume it too will need it.

The issue I have is waking from sleep. The LCD screen remain blacked-out.

I had to do that on my Acer 3820T to get the laptop built-in LCD screen to work.

Hi

Can i have an ioreg from you ? Run "ioreg -lw0 > ioreg.txt" in terminal.

Thanks

@MacNB

I didn't try that before. I forgot that I had forced EDID in SL as well :) ... Forced EDID in Lion and now EVERYTHING works. It is as flawless as a Macbook Pro now! Thank you.

You are welcome :rolleyes:

I have the same laptop with LION and you're the first person that has it working on internal LCD. Did you need to patch your ATI5000Controller.kext? For me the procedure does not work as the display is never detected.

Is it possible for you to post your kexts and dsdt for your laptop?

I have the same laptop with LION and you're the first person that has it working on internal LCD. Did you need to patch your ATI5000Controller.kext? For me the procedure does not work as the display is never detected.

Is it possible for you to post your kexts and dsdt for your laptop?

Got it working with EDID and Eulemur FB.