Install LionGM (tested on P5Q-Deluxe mobo)

xlucian

9 posts in this topic

I managed to install 10.7GM on my P5Q-Delux mono. My full PC spec can be found on my signature. The guide that I used is this one. I have 3 hdd and I use the 160Gb one for testing.

Steps:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attention!!!! The OSInstall.mpkg is NOT modified to install on MBR. I gave up the MBR and Windows and I use GUID.

1. Have a working OS X

2. Have the 10.7 GM

3. Create with DiskUtility a 10Gb partition

4. Mount the OS X Lion dmg ( from Install Mac OS X Lion.app -> Show Contents -> Mount InstallESD.dmg -> Show Hidden files -> Mouns BaseSystem.dmg)

5. Restore from Disk Utility the BaseSystem.dmg to the 10Gb partition made

6. After restore unmount BaseSystem.dmg and go to the 10Gb partition and delete Packages from System/Installation

7. Copy Packages folder from Mac OS X Install ESD to Systems/Installation on the 10GB partition

8. Install Chameleon RC5 752 on the 10Gb partition

9. Copy the kexts and com.apple.boot.plist from Extra.zip attachment to you Extra folder in the 10Gb partition.

!!!!!!Leave the .plist untouched. I found that without the settings in it boots to a grey wallpaper...and thats it....doesn't go further. With it on my system it booted to installation screen in less then 5 min.

!!!! I do not use a DSDT.aml, I have a modified bios. (I'll post it ...if I cant find it ;) ). If you use a DSDT, do make sure you put it in the Extra folder...edit com.apple.boot.plist and set the path for DSDT

!!!!These kexts and .plist can be used for SnowLeopard as well

10. Copy from Mac OS X Install ESD to the 10Gb partition the following files:

.disk_lable

boot.efi

kernelcache

mach_kernel

MacOSX_Media_Background.png

11. Reboot and boot from the HDD with the 10Gb partition. Select from Chameleon the partition you made.

12. Install as normal.

!!! --> My first install was a clean one on the 160Gb HDD to test how it works

!!! --> My second install was on the HDD with SnowLeopard….I DID NOT erase it, just installed over it. After installation when you are asked to create a USER…you can make a new one…and then transfer you old one. I haven't lost anything. Got my apps, email, iPhoto album, music, settings intact.

13. After install is done boot into your Leo/SnowLeo and install Chameleon on Lion partition and copy the extra folder.

14. Boot into Lion

If you use the P5Q-Deluxe mobo you will not have sound and internet. Install the VoodooHDA (you'll only get sound on the Green Jack…better than nothing) and IONetworkingFamily (for Marvel 8056) from kexts.zip.

If you use like me the Sapphire ATI 4870HD 1Gb GDDR5 it should fully work. I got 1080p resolution.

As far as I can see…I got no errors…and hope I don't get.

People recommend that you download updates and then install them and not to use Software Update from System Preferences. I've always updated trough that since Leopard and never had a problem

Geekbench Score x32 -> 5705, x64 -> 6151

Don't know the scores on SnowLeo but it was 100-200 points lower, and in windows was a lot lower …under 4800

@@@@@I'll soon post, time depending, a guide on how to install Lion without having a working OS X (using Windows). I have done it with Leopard but first need to see if it works.

-> it feels a bit faster

-> like the mission control and launchpad

-> like the new finder

-> hate the scroll set to natural

-> i got a couple of times a -50 error when I would open iTunes but it would work. now I don't get the error. I don't know if I installed something that got rid of it.

->restart works always

->it goes to sleep and wakes up...but if you restart or shut down and turn on you will get a bios reset

->shutdown...yes and no...it works in a cycle...if you shutdown and the OS goes off but still got power on computer...long press power button to shut down....when you turn it on and shutdown again...it works as it should and then if you shutdown again the OS goes off but still got power on computer....and so on.

?Does any one know if I cant get sound output from my 4870HD card? I know it has 7.1 trough HDMI...in windows it worked. I have my monitor connected trough HDMI, and the monitor has a 3.5mm and optical output and gets the signal from HDMI. The optical output on my mobo doesn't work.

Extra.zip

Kexts.zip

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this guide. I've got lion working perfectly on my P5Q Deluxe as well... I do get the 5.1 surround from my sound card (coax or optical). You simply need the right kexts. I have an ATI HD4850 and QE/CI works great too (thanks to Netkas!).

Concerning the shut down. I had this issue as well, but I put openhaltrestart.kext in my Extra/Extensions folder and PC now shuts down just fine (it turns off PC, Fans, everything).

Let me know if you need me to post additional kexts.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed your guide for my Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Wifi-AP@n but couldn't pass the empty grey screen. I tried every possible settings in bios to no avail. Then I switched from my AMD Radeon HD 6950 1 Gb to my old Nvidia 9600GT and everything went nice.

Of course, I used your kext for NIC to be able to go online. Sound is never a problem for me as I got an external Creative USB sound card. I don't use DSDT.aml either, as my bios is modified for Dual Boot OSX (DSDT) and Windows7 (SLIC2.1 for HP/Compaq):

P5Q3_2105_DSDT_SLIC21.zip

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have this configuration:

MB: ASUS P5q Deluxe , cpu intel core duo quad 2,66 gh, 8 giga ram, graphic card Sapphire Ati Radeon 4870 1 giga ram.

Actually I have Snow 10.6.4,

Now I would like to install on a Solid State Disk (120gb) Lion and I follow this guide.

Unfortunately the installation freeze here.

Can you help me ?

What is wrong ?

Thank you :help:

Scipionems

post-516263-0-68515200-1324032711_thumb.jpg

@Scipionems ...I think I've had this problem....but only on installing Lion on a USB hdd...didn't no why it wouldn't boot.

Make sure sata in bios is on AHCI. also try the com.apple.boot.plist I've attached...edit where it says <string>hd(0,2)</string> with your settings.

@Candurin

how did you get spdif to work? i gave up with the on board sound card and got turtle beach, also can you post you openhaltrestart.kext.

Thanks

Ok at last I was able to install Lion on my SSD :) .

Like a stupid I had connected the SSD on SATA2 instead of SATA1 port.

After the right connection of the SSD on SATA1 port, the installation was perfect.

Now i have two problem :

1) non internet connection ( i have installed the IONetworkingFamily Kext, but it doesn't work);

2) the pc doesn't switch off.

Do you know what kind of KEXT I need to solve these problems ??

Ok at last I was able to install Lion on my SSD :) .

Like a stupid I had connected the SSD on SATA2 instead of SATA1 port.

After the right connection of the SSD on SATA1 port, the installation was perfect.

Now i have two problem :

1) non internet connection ( i have installed the IONetworkingFamily Kext, but it doesn't work);

2) the pc doesn't switch off.

Do you know what kind of KEXT I need to solve these problems ??

make sure that lan cable is plugged in the bottom port... in my SysPref->Network...lan is shown as Bluetooth pan but it works at full speed

if still do not have internet....delete the kext you have installed and look for an other one.

got the same problem with switching off....after you see the leds on the case go off....keep pressed the power button to shut it...some time it does shut down

restart works ok

Hi Xlucian,

thank you very much :)

I follow your suggestion, I plugged the lan cable in the bottom port and now internet works at full speed.

I solved even the problem of switching off .

I installed these two kexts :

OpenHaltRestart.kext and a new version for Lion of the SleepEnabler Kext from here http://www.osx86.net/view/1771-sleepenabler_for_10.7.1_-_10.7.2_latest_beta.html (you have to sign in for free).

And now it works perfectly.

Thank you again :)

Merry Xmas ad happy 2012.

Scipionems