[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Kurt,

1. The onboard NC107i ethernet controller is not supported by OSX and the BCM5722D kexts are imperfect as they were not designed for this card, which is a BCM5723. The ethernet will disconnect after heavy use. You really need to buy a supported gigabit ethernet card and use that instead.

2. Next time you reboot Chameleon, start in verbose mode and look at where the boot process hangs. It may be because it cannot find your hard drive, which is a common problem.

3. The server does not go to sleep because it has no support in the bios for S3 state. This is typical of HP server bioses. If you want to use Wake On Lan, then you will need to purchase the Remote Access Card, which can restart the Microserver over the network after it has been shut down. However, HP only officially supports RHEL and Windows Server 2008 R2, so there are no guarantees that you can get this card to function under OSX.

Neokz,

Limitations are 32 bit kernel only, as the 64 bit kernel is unstable with this class of AMD processor. However, you can run 64 bit processes just fine. The onboard ethernet is not suitable for heavy use and you will save a lot of heartache by investing in a supported ethernet card. If you want to run this primarily as a server, then you will get good enough graphics to administer it (not necessarily at the full resolution of your screen) by using the onboard gpu, after which you can just ssh into the box to tinker around once you have your services set up.

For the purposes you have listed, this box should be able to cope with them all. One caveat is that the guide here relates to Snow Leopard. Leopard is older and you may have problems getting everything to work with existing Leopard kexts.

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi splonk,

thank you for your answering.

1. I want to buy an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=273618

2. I try it in verbose mode to locate the error.
But I think the right Harddisk where found because the grey sceen with the silver apple comes up.
And then the spinning wheels spins very slow and don't finish in one hour or more time.

3. Before I intalled OS-X, I used Linux/Ubuntu and I used hibernation and wake up with a magic paket.
Is anything like this possible with OS-X on the N36L.

Hope someone can help, I am not a Profi and spend a lot of time in the N36L.

Cheers

Kurt

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Kurt,

1. If you boot in verbose mode, you do not see the grey screen at all but a black screen with moving text very similar to a verbose Linux boot process. The most common problem is "still waiting for root device". If you boot in standard mode, the grey screen with the apple and the swirls appears after the kexts have been preloaded from the Extensions folder and the system is probing the hardware to initialise it. The problems occur after this, so the grey screen does not mean that everything is ok. You need to boot in verbose mode to find out exactly where the problem is.

2. You can try hibernation in place of sleep. In Terminal, type this: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1
Maybe this will work with Wake On Lan, but I have not tried this.

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi Splonk,

thank you for your full description.
When i type in "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1" in my iMac (only for testing) nothing happens.

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Ok, now i understand.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1 change the sleepmode to suspend to Disk.
It works on my Imac, but in hibernationmode 1, I cant wake up the Imac with WOL.
I will test it on the N36L in the evening.

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
Sleepmode dosn't work.
When i try it the network connection goes down, and then nothing.
When i reboot network works fine.
I try it in hibernation mode 1 and 0.
Any idea what it can be?
Has the SleepEnabler.kext located in /BackupExtensions anything to do with my problem?
There is no second SleepEnabler.kext on my N36L

Cheers Kurt

(And sorry for my bad english)

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello again,

SL Server 10.6.8 is running on my N36L with 2GB Ram and the Intel Network Card.

I have some questions/problems.

1.I have the same problem like this:

the 10.6.8 process seems to be doing nothing, then I move the mouse and simultaneously the disk activity starts again.

Is there a solution?

2. Whats the way to get 1280x1024 with the onboard graphics

callumrogan in P6/#103 get the higher resolution, right?

3. The N36L does not support sleepmode S3, can I use suspend to Disk S4, or power of
with wake on lan S5.

4. When i buy the Managementcard, can I power on my N36L with a WOL Magic Packet, after a normal shutdown in OS-X?

Thank you for helping

Cheers

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Kurt.

N36L does not support S3 at all, so the Sleepenabler kext is pointless. I have read that suspend to disk works in Windows and you confirmed that it does, too, in Linux but OSX is not designed for this hardware and how it interacts with the Microserver is a matter of experimentation. It would help if the Microserver were Intel based as we could try to implement some workarounds for the limitations of the bios by creating and editing a DSDT but the latter does not work so well with AMD based systems.

As far as I know with the Remote Access Card, the HP only officially supports RHEL and Windows Server 2008 R2 so only those two are guaranteed to work. Anything else is trial and error.

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi splonk,

thank you for the answer.
I try to write a shutdown script when all clients are off and
switch the N36L manualy on when I want to use him.

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hi,

Changed network cards in order to stop the drop outs that were happening and used this one...

http://h10010.www1.h...75-3769777.html

Which worked fine. However, whenever I try to browse the hard drive of any other system on my internal LAN (same workgroup) I get this error ...

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “<Whatever Hard Drive I search for>” can’t be found.

It worked fine when I was using the internal EN0 network card, but failing on the newly installed EN1 network card

Any ideas what I can do to fix it ?, as I need to be able to copy data across systems if possible.

Many thanks

TK

matejrexo

matejrexo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just managed to get SL working on my machine with QE/CI (Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 512 MB) :D . Thanks for this ultimate guide! I have yet to tweak other things, for example the ethernet adapter. But other things work fantastic.

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Hi,

Changed network cards in order to stop the drop outs that were happening and used this one...

http://h10010.www1.h...75-3769777.html

Which worked fine. However, whenever I try to browse the hard drive of any other system on my internal LAN (same workgroup) I get this error ...

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “<Whatever Hard Drive I search for>” can’t be found.

It worked fine when I was using the internal EN0 network card, but failing on the newly installed EN1 network card

Any ideas what I can do to fix it ?, as I need to be able to copy data across systems if possible.

Many thanks

TK

Looks like a driver error dropping the network connection. Check that you have a valid network connection using the network tool in utilities.

ralfs

ralfs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone has tried installing Lion on Microserver?

Any success?

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Looks like a driver error dropping the network connection. Check that you have a valid network connection using the network tool in utilities.

Thanks Splonk,

In my infinite wisdome I decided to remove my EN0 port from the Network Settings (as no ethernet cable is plugged into it)
However, with a suggestion from a fresh pair of eyes, I reinstated it and all now appears to be working.

Do not understand why if I'm using a new network card that I have to keep the old one active (even though it's not connected) but have learnt something new

Have also noticed, now that my machine is stable and stays on for weeks at a time, that the system time loses sync with the correct/actual time.

I can manually correct it by going into date & time preferences and manually changing the 'time.xxxxx.apple.com' time dropdown source. However wondered if anyone else noticed this and also if they found a work around.

Not a biggie at all

Thanks

TK

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Mate,

It's not able to work on Lion yet. The person who's got the magic touch has the following site http://blog.nawcom.com/

If and when he gets Lion working .. his webpage will reflect it.

Pretty sure we've discussed this already .. did you try a search before posting ?

Cheers

TK

Anyone has tried installing Lion on Microserver?

Any success?

buttersb

buttersb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just to add something to the network/mac address issues:

Everything was OK except for the network, so I set up the script that assigns the mac address manually to start on boot, and all was well for the last couple of months.

Came in today and couldn't connect to the server, so I had a look locally and the network card wouldn't detect the connection, so I tried to re-run the script, and rebooted, none of which worked. After a bit of faffing about I worked out it was the script that was causing the problem. Didn't work with the script, worked fine now without it, its now assigning its mac address correctly by itself.

Whats changed is that about a week ago a small cisco switch was put in between the server and the rest of our network infastructure. If I reboot with the server connected to that swtich it all works perfectly. I tested it without the switch in the way, and bam, a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00 again.

Don't know what the additional swtich is doing, but as long as no-one moves it, i'm happy. I'm not suggesting this as a viable solution as it'd be much cheaper to just get a new network card, but its interesting none the less.

The switch is a Cisco SG200-08 if anyone is interested.

James

fpdesigner

fpdesigner

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
What he best OSX version for the HP MICROSERVER N40L ?
what the best hack
######
Leopard ,SL or Lion ?
Any help?

wizzkid41

wizzkid41

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

just thought I should let you all know iv managed to get snow leopard running under esxi using the previous hint, following that i downloaded a seperate darwin_snow.iso from iFans so i could install vmware tools, I also used donks unlocker and now have the machine running as "Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard 64 Bit", so the entire proceedure is as follows:

1. insert nawcom's boot cd
2. swap to snow leopard cd
3. press f5 until "snow leopard" is listed, select using arrow keys and press enter
3. once installer starts enter disk utility and partition the vmware disk
4. run the installer
5. reboot and swap to modified darwin_snow.iso
6. install vmware tools from iso and reboot
7. install donks unlocker
8. change virtual machine to "Snow Leopard 64 bit"
9. insert nawcoms disk for booting

Just thought i'd add that after this was done i 'upgraded' vmware tools using the esxi console =]

and your good to go, any questions please ask. =]

gordies

gordies

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi guys,

got as far as Part 5 : Post Install. after following this my N36L sits there with the grey osx screen and the spinning wheel and nothing else happens

can anyone point me in the right direction to move on please?

thanks, Gordie

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Hi All, Been a while since Ive been on here. I see Nawcom is working on an AMD kernel for Lion. Though Ive still not tried it on my macbook, so not sure i'd migrate the HP unless it gives better support for the HP hardware - in which case i'd definitely do it.

Anyway onto my problem and hopefully some advice.

I've just tried to update to latest SL both by running software update and downloading the individual update files from apple.com. The 4 updates are;

Java for Mac OS X Update 9
Apple Software Installer Update
Safari 5.1.7
Security Update 2012-002

The last 3 have the require restart after instal mark.

After running software update for all 4 but not restarting, I run the kernel package and then reboot. I left the 64bit option unticked on the kernel.

Interestingly after selecting restart I get a message on screen saying there are software updates to install - but surely I've installed them already? When you go ahead and accept this then surely whatever changes are being made at this stage are overwriting the kernel package changes?

I then get stuck in a boot / restart cycle.

Next I tried the download the updates separately method. Ran all 4 packages in the order above, ignoring the reboot button for each of the last 3, ran the kernel package and rebooted. Same boot / restart cycle. Is there another way that I'm missing to keep the HP up to date on SL?

rtrt

hi guys, got as far as Part 5 : Post Install. after following this my N36L sits there with the grey osx screen and the spinning wheel and nothing else happens can anyone point me in the right direction to move on please? thanks, Gordie

Might be worth breaking step 5 down into separate sections? If i remember correctly when i originally installed i used carbon copy cloner a lot to back up at each stage - so I got usb working and have a backup of that, same with network and graphics. It was a while ago tho so not sure if my memory is accurate!

What he best OSX version for the HP MICROSERVER N40L ? what the best hack ###### Leopard ,SL or Lion ? Any help?

well this orignal post is for SL so i'd go with that :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy