[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

If i was to look at a replacement Ethernet card - what are the advantages of the Intel being used by a few here? Seems you still have to modify kexts with the Intel - so why not use a low cost card like the TP link below for example?

http://www.amazon.co..._cp_computers_2

I haven't had a problem with Realtek network cards, although they aren't really rated at the bottom end. I got myself a Lycom PE-06 from Scan, which has a Marvel Yukon 8056 chip onboard. I can't remember whether I needed to patch it or not but it gets recognised as a 8053 card, which has native support under Apple. This came with an LP bracket where other cards didn't.
On my full size Proliant, I threw in an Apple Mac Pro dual Gigabit card. I picked up a couple from Jigsaw24, which they were selling off for £20 apiece. Needless to say, those work the best and out of the box but they do need an x4 slot and the card comes in an x16 format so needs trimming.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I haven't had a problem with Realtek network cards, although they aren't really rated at the bottom end. I got myself a Lycom PE-06 from Scan, which has a Marvel Yukon 8056 chip onboard. I can't remember whether I needed to patch it or not but it gets recognised as a 8053 card, which has native support under Apple. This came with an LP bracket where other cards didn't.
On my full size Proliant, I threw in an Apple Mac Pro dual Gigabit card. I picked up a couple from Jigsaw24, which they were selling off for £20 apiece. Needless to say, those work the best and out of the box but they do need an x4 slot and the card comes in an x16 format so needs trimming.

Can see from reading around the Lycom card is top notch & often fitted to HP Server boxes - only cheap one I could find was on we are electricals and by all accounts those guys are to be avoided!

Hadn't realised that the MP Ethernet ports were on a PCIE interface and could be installed elsewhere - assumed there was some kind of cable behind the chassis to the motherboard.

I think i'll give the TP-Link card a try - with lnx2mac providing some pd good kext package support for those Realtek 8xxx based cards and of course cost of card is low. No LP bracket but am happy to use the dremel again!

Btw did you try your U3S6 card?

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I am pretty sure the Mac Pro port is onboard. The card I got is presumably for expansion purposes. I think it was originally intended for Xserves.

http://www.morecompu...asp?pn=MB977G/A

I think the card is obsolete now and replaced with one that takes an x4 slot, which is probably why I got those for a song. Presumably, since Xserves are history that card will soon follow suit. It sports very bright light blue and green indicator LEDs.

Surprised the Lycom is out of stock. Scan was plugging this card as a hot seller for ages and it was only about £14 or so. I would personally pay a little extra for the LP bracket as I am a lazy bodger. It seems as if there is only a choice of the Edimax and the Startech at the moment, both of which have Realtek chips onboard.

Re: above, I have not got around to massacring the U3S6 yet. I got some other toys to play with first. By the way, how stable is it after improving the bracket? I note that the second screw clip is a little above the point where you need to bend the bracket, so presumably is not attached to the card.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I am pretty sure the Mac Pro port is onboard. The card I got is presumably for expansion purposes. I think it was originally intended for Xserves.

http://www.morecompu...asp?pn=MB977G/A

I think the card is obsolete now and replaced with one that takes an x4 slot, which is probably why I got those for a song. Presumably, since Xserves are history that card will soon follow suit. It sports very bright light blue and green indicator LEDs.

Surprised the Lycom is out of stock. Scan was plugging this card as a hot seller for ages and it was only about £14 or so. I would personally pay a little extra for the LP bracket as I am a lazy bodger. It seems as if there is only a choice of the Edimax and the Startech at the moment, both of which have Realtek chips onboard.

Re: above, I have not got around to massacring the U3S6 yet. I got some other toys to play with first. By the way, how stable is it after improving the bracket? I note that the second screw clip is a little above the point where you need to bend the bracket, so presumably is not attached to the card.

Re Lycom card and LP bracket - agreed - if it was still available at that price wouldve probably gone for it, but it was around double that so decided to cheap out instead :o

HPs been stable now for over 6 days - so looks like my <48hr lockup problem was the USB boot drive after all.

Downloaded the USB 3 kext you linked thanks - will try that tomorrow.

Re the card - it's definitely mechanically stable. I know what you mean about the 2nd screw postion. I cut the bracket to allow the 2nd screw clip to stay partially attached from the bracket to the card, which meant I couldn't bend the bracket straight. Let me edit the pic tomorrow to highlight the right part.

Btw for those who dont know already, the replacement HP Microserver with the slightly faster processor, now has the £100 cashback offer on for november.

Tempted to pick one up to experiment with Linux, as I've never used it for more than 10 minutes on friends machines. Since HP will sell it with Red Hat then i'm assuming any of the distros will work well.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Attached File  IMG00025_20111102_1910.jpg   183KB   16 downloads

You can see that the inability to cut down on the lhs as far as you need to, means that the bracket isn't straight. rhs needs to be bent at the level that the screw can enagage with the server chassis.

Attached File  IMG00026_20111102_1910.jpg   205.11KB   11 downloads

Hopefully you can see that half of the mounting tab remains attached to the bracket and so secures the card to the bracket

Card isn't really straight in the chassis, but i certainly seem to have got away with it. I don't think PCIE is a precision engineered system ie i think there's a bit of slack that I managed to take advantage of. Card is firmly held so you can plug/unplug cables no problem.

Attached File  IMG00027_20111102_1911.jpg   240.64KB   9 downloads
The cutting involves a bit of trial and error - in this case I measured twice and still got it wrong! Didn't matter as I hadn't gone to far 'into' the bracket and so the screw still gripped there and the other side. This is my practice card - a cheap esata i picked up way back. That one was bent straight and sat in the chassis straight too.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Just tried the patched kext Splonk - put it in s/l/e then repaired permissions, rebuilt cache and rebooted - no difference. Still showing as 480Mbs in sys profiler.

Is there anything here useful do you think

http://www.insanelym...p...239311&st=0

I'm wondering if during my build i didn't follow janitors and others intructions from this thread.

As a relative newcomer to the hackintosh world it's easy to miss or forget something....... for example I ran software update recently and updated a few things and got kp's afterwards. I'd forgot that i needed to reload the legacy kernel :(

Will redo that as a job for next weekend - hope to have the ethernet card by then too.

Langoo

Langoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Looks like I've got it sorted ! :D

IONetworkFamily.kext file needed to come from a Snow Leopard Image and not from a Lion one.

As soon as I changed, and installed it, EN1 became available

Cheers all

TK

PS - What's up with this forum, I can only see two pages when I go to the front page ??!!

I'm on the wait for my own Intel card right now, hopefully will it arrive tomorrow. I'm having the same problem as you with the ethernet dropping on heavy load, the only difference is that i network settings it still says that i have the cable plugged in :D

Did you get the same Device ID as the guide stated or does every card have a different ID? If not maybe you can share your Info.plis ?

Will update if i get the card working tomorrow!

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Re the card - it's definitely mechanically stable. I know what you mean about the 2nd screw postion. I cut the bracket to allow the 2nd screw clip to stay partially attached from the bracket to the card, which meant I couldn't bend the bracket straight. Let me edit the pic tomorrow to highlight the right part.

Btw for those who dont know already, the replacement HP Microserver with the slightly faster processor, now has the £100 cashback offer on for november.

Tempted to pick one up to experiment with Linux, as I've never used it for more than 10 minutes on friends machines. Since HP will sell it with Red Hat then i'm assuming any of the distros will work well.

Will try this tonight. I think I am going to struggle with the bracket as I don't have a suitable vice to hand, so I am going to try a halfway house and just straighten the top tab of the bracket with a pair of pliers and try to attach the bracket some other way to the housing - glue gun or whatever. That will have to do until I hone my bodging skills.

Re the microserver - Scan had a one day special on Friday. They were clearing the N36L for £162 delivered. That is, a ridiculous £62 after cashback. I bought one and chickened out at the last minute just as they were despatching as there was some doubt that Scan qualified as an authorised reseller for the cashback. Could not get hold of HP or the cashback agency over the weekend so I cancelled the purchase as I would have received it that Monday. Turned out that Scan was approved, although Scan itself seemed unaware of it. Offer is over and Scan is clean out of stock.

Gutted.

It would have been my Linux cum OS/2 plaything.

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
OK, tried the Asus card in the machine. Everything worked as before. The only difference I noted is a slight drop in USB speeds from before with the no-name 2 port card. Instead of an average 87MB/s write speed with an WD Passport bus powered drive using the AJA System Test utility, I now get about 81MB/s. SysProfiler still lists the card as SuperSpeed, so no errors there. Looks like a keeper to me.

I cannot use the card with a straightened bracket as it knocks against the psu box, so a-bodging I will have to go.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

OK, tried the Asus card in the machine. Everything worked as before. The only difference I noted is a slight drop in USB speeds from before with the no-name 2 port card. Instead of an average 87MB/s write speed with an WD Passport bus powered drive using the AJA System Test utility, I now get about 81MB/s. SysProfiler still lists the card as SuperSpeed, so no errors there. Looks like a keeper to me.

I cannot use the card with a straightened bracket as it knocks against the psu box, so a-bodging I will have to go.

re Scan - that was a fantastic deal - wouldve picked one up myself. maybe 2 with one as a christmas present.

good the card works for you. as you say now just need to see if you can get bodgeit and leggit to help out!

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hi Langoo,

Ethernet port appeared as EN1 (EN0 remained there, but I just deleted it)

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist information as requested !

Good luck

TK

PS - I got the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a working SL hard disk

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>Intel82574L</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.Intel82574L</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>2.1.8</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2.1.8b1</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>Intel82574L</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.Intel82574L</string>
<key>Driver Parameters</key>
<dict>
<key>Dump EEPROM</key>
<false/>
<key>Enable TSO</key>
<false/>
<key>EnableLowPwr</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Flow Control</key>
<string>Transmit and Receive</string>
<key>Maximum Interrupt Rate</key>
<integer>8000</integer>
<key>Offload TCP/IP Checksum</key>
<true/>
<key>RxAbsoluteTimer10</key>
<integer>300</integer>
<key>RxAbsoluteTimer100</key>
<integer>300</integer>
<key>RxAbsoluteTimer1000</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>RxDelayTimer10</key>
<integer>25</integer>
<key>RxDelayTimer100</key>
<integer>25</integer>
<key>RxDelayTimer1000</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxDescriptorCount</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>TxBadPackets</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>TxDescriptorCount</key>
<integer>512</integer>
<key>TxQueueSize</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>WaitForLinkUp</key>
<integer>6000</integer>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x10D38086 0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>IOResourceMatch</key>
<string>IOKit</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>
<string>1.5.0</string>
<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
<string>1.7</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
<string>8.10.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
<string>8.10.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
<string>8.10.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
<string>8.10.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Network-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Langoo

Langoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Langoo,

Ethernet port appeared as EN1 (EN0 remained there, but I just deleted it)

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist information as requested !

Good luck

TK

PS - I got the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a working SL hard disk

Hi!

I also got it working and are now not experiencing any problems with the LAN anymore :(

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I'am brand new in Hackintosch.
I would like to install OS-X on my N36L. I use OS-X on my MBP and Mini, so it is the best solution for me.
I Install OS-X 10.6.3 by following Part 1 and Part 2 in the beginning of this Thread.
After installing OS-X the N36L reboot and I only get a blinking curser on a black screen.
I have 4GB RAM installed, but no ASUS Graphics Card.
Would it work without a graphics card.
Can everybody help me?
I read the complete Thread but i can't find out a solution, because my englisch is not the best.
Best Regards
Kurt

PS: I search by google "hackintosh blinking cursor" and i found out my partion
ist not bootable, but why? I select GUID by creating a Partition in the Harddisk Utiliti
during install.

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hi mate,

Try changing the disk priority to make your OSX hard disk boot first in the BIOS

I had this problem (because I had multiple disks in my machine) and this fixed it

Cheers

TK

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hey mate, you are the best.

1000000000 Thanks to you.
Thats the solution, OSX starts fine.
I'am very happy, tomorrow I can start to finetune it.
I would like to update to 10.6.8 Server.

Cheers

Kurt

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
No worries Kurt,

Glad to have helped and hope you get the rest sorted.

Good luck

TK

Neokz

Neokz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

like Kurt i'm new to hackintosh, but i'm very interested in getting leopard server running on the N36L/N40L microserver.

first and most important question : how stable is it running ? any experiences ?

second: i just want to use it as a backup/file/streaming server for a macbook pro, macbook, iphone and ipad 2...

will it fit for this usage ?
will i have any limitations ?
how does it matter if i install an additional HD5450 or just use the onboard gfx from the N36L ? (i think its a HD4200)

thx in advance for your replys and sorry for my bad englisch :worried_anim:

best greetz

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

my next 2 Problems, hope somebody can help my again.

Problem 1
Wenn I have 10.6.3 fresh installed i only coppy BCM5722.kext to S/L/E/ and run kext utility. Like S3 / Post #59.
I get an Error message that ati.....kext and bcm5722D.kext are not correct installed.
But after reboot i get a IP Adress per DHCP.
In the next step I install SL Server but the say the Erial Number is not valid or incorrect.
What is my mistake

Problem 2
When i update Chamelon 2 RC5 v747 or higher and reboot, they hangs in the grey sreen with the silver apple
and the spinning wheel often stops for a longer time. I wait for an hour but the dont start.
I try 3 different versions of chamelon.

I hope somebody can help me.

Cheers

Kurt

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

now I did it.
SL Server 10.6.8 is running.
I installed BCM5722D.kext with Kext wizard and repair permissions and clear caches with Kext wizard.
The Network works fine and the serialnumber was past.
I don't installed a new chamelon.
But Wake on LAn does not work, first problem is that the machiene dosent't goes in sleep modus.
Cheers
Kurt

schnulpsili

schnulpsili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Next Problem,
when I make an AFP copy, the network connection lost after a few minutes.
Any Ideas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy