[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

martinW

martinW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ah, I probably should have qualified the issue :)

The install isn't hanging, it's working fine using Niresh kernel v2.3, it's running as my day-to-day server now but there's still a large amount of opemu errors coming through. Once the network driver must have crash as well or something because it was flooding the logs with messages about having run out of available frame segments. I had a nose at the source for that one and decided to adjust my MTU slightly. That hasn't happened since but I'm keeping an eye on it.

When I tried the BSA kernel I can't really remember where the boot got but I had tried all of those flags (all but the -f are in my boot plist anyway) and the kernel was already called 'mach_kernel'. Not sure at the moment what to do. I'm very tempted to buy a baseline Mac mini but the cost of a decent thunderbolt attached storage array is just insane!

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Hey!

Been a while! I finally found the time to put Mavericks on. Managed to get it on. Using the integrated graphics so resolution is stuck at 1024x768! 

Question: Has anyone tried Screen Sharing to the server? I use the server headless so when screen sharing into it from my MacBook, it's horribly slow. Unusable and ends up crashing. Doesn't work at all in adaptive quality. Has to be on full quality. Just wondered if anyone else has tried it/could try it and get back to me with results?

Think its something to do with the kernel. Unfortunately, having to stick with Snow Leopard until I can sort this out!

Saf :)

EDIT: I'd like to know how it works for people with a GPU in there server and because I'm using the internal one! But any experiences with screen sharing on mavericks welcome  :)

martinW

martinW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You won't get it to work on internal graphics I'm afraid. The experience will always be what you are experiencing now. I tried for quite some time to get a better experience with the internal GPU, even trying to patch / compile (whatever is was) the ATI Radeon FrameBuffer driver but I simply couldn't. In the end I caved in and bought a graphics card. It might say in this thread which one but without going and looking I can't remember.

Ultimately, my machine is working nicely apart from iCloud doesn't work - and I think I'm right in saying it will never work on this AMD machine, and also the network driver ends up in a state it's discarding frames and spews masses of debug messages to the log console, sometimes to the point of not being able to remote in. My server is in a building about 120' away from the house so I end up having to take a walk of shame to reboot it when this happens. Bit of a pain in the arse to be fair.

The screen sharing works pretty well with the added ATI graphics card. However I think it's one of the things that triggers the networking issue so most of the time I try to connect over SSH.

Ultimately, I'm looking into replacing the microserver with an entry level Mac Mini but cost is the problem. I need to attach a 4 disk array to it and that's a lot of money over USB3 or Thunderbolt. But I can't bring myself to go back to Windows Server 2012, so for now I'm just putting it off!

Oh, Niresh has brought out a 10.10 now. I've no idea if that works on these or if things like iCloud have been fixed. I'm not brave enough to try even though I do have two Microservers!

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Hi Guys, it's been quite some time since I came back, to thank Janitor way back in late 2013.

I can see that things have moved on & there are a load of new posts to get through. I started tonight but realised I need to set aside some time to do it properly.

Like others, I have 2 Microservers a '36 and a '40. The '36 is still successfully running SL and has been a server & occasional Internet / light use machine.

I'm starting to have Safari crash problems with some sites, so came back to see what was what. The '40 is on Win 8, not 8.1 as I've not yet got around to upgrading the BIOS to fix the ethernet issue.

I'm now thinking of maybe upgrading the '36 and the '40 to Mavericks or even Yosemite, but given the slow processors I'm not sure which is the 'lightest' OS?

As I say, I'll read all the new posts in order soon, but I just wanted to reply to Saf and martinW above re the screen resolution.

I can say that on my '36 with no additional graphics card I can get 1680 x 1050 about 50% of the time on a reboot. When it 'fails' it gives 1440 x 1050 - I used to reboot at that point until I got the 1680 x 1050 but after a while i decided 1440 x 1050 was fine for the 50% of the time it happened. 

I'm not sure what I did in detail to get those results as it's been a few years now, but I remember trying all of the steps in those early posts. I think there's a good chance it's related to having a screen attached to the VGA port on boot. I have an old dell 1680x1050 screen plugged in and it's a much nicer res to remote in at as well.

If you don't have a screen, there is something that may help - note not tried it just a thought. There's a way to 'fool' a mac mini to display higher resolutions when remoting in.

It's something to do with soldering a resistor across 2 pins in a spare vga connector. Then the mini thinks it has a screen plugged in and allows higher res settings.

Google may find it - try mac mini server screen resolution fix or somehitng similar.

Good to be back :-)

Edit

To say that my above screen sharing/1680 x 1050 on internal vga is on snow leopard, so probably not relevant to what Saf/martinW were saying

martinW

martinW

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

This is quite well timed really, I just spent the weekend wiping my N54 Microserver of OS X  and putting OpenMediaVault on instead  ^_^

It was OK(ish) when it was running. I got round my screen problems with an Asus 5450 Passively cooled graphics card, although that was nice and toasty when I took it out last night!! But the setup was just too flakey in the end. iCloud didn't work and my understanding is that it will never work for AMD processor based hacks on Mavericks so that meant that a few of the things I wanted were never going to work properly. It also meant I got nagged about software updates every time I logged in. However the biggest problem was the network card. The best driver I could find for it would periodically and without any real explanation that I could see stop responding. I forget exactly what the error messages were but the bottom line was that at best network access would grind to a crawl but more normally, it would just drop off the face of the network.

Now, this wasn't too big of a deal as it you left it alone it generally carried on working. The problem was when you wanted to log into it via VNC or Screen Share to actually do something. I was never able to find a resolution to this. I did download the source code for the driver and was going to try and do something about it but I have far too many other projects on the go. Sadly, the one thing I need a server to be with all my data on it is reliable so it's had to go.

Shame. Sad thing is, if Apple sold something appropriate then I'd be all over it, but they don't any more. I could buy a Mac Mini but I'm doubtful if that is really designed to run 24/7 and where would I plug my 4 SATA drives? When you start to look at USB3 enclosures the price of that plus the mini just escalates to the point it's ridiculous and something like a Sinology would be more appropriate. I doubt even one of the old X-Serve's (when they were available) would have cut it either as I bet they sounded like a typical rack mount based jet engine  :hysterical: 

Same with my gaming PC really, if Apple did the Mac Pro with gaming graphics cards in them then i'd be there (though they may need to add a reasonable size internal drive too). At least for now I can use Yosemite on my PC for that (and have had OS X on it for around 6 years now).

So, for now, it's been a nice adventure but the adventure ends for me. I do still have Mavericks installed on my old N40 which is my electronics repair workbench PC now. I might try Yosemite on that and see if it's any better but the CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth and I fear with that one, since I don't need any raid or anything I could be better off with a small Mac Mini. It mostly all just comes down to money all the time.

OSBeast

OSBeast

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:X-Plane 10
    Coding
    YouTube

Languages : BG, DE, GB/US
Nice guide

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

I'm wondering if any others experienced the VNC/Screen Share issues that martinW did?

If you did, any steer on a fix?

Not sure i'll go to Mavericks, if remote access causes those kinds of problems. Things to think about...

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
If AMD is an issue, then the HP Gen8 Microserver might be a cheap alternative and has a socketed cpu so that you could upgrade the Celeron processor to something beefier if required. It has a dual Gigabit network card integrated but I am not sure what the chipset is or if it can be made to work under OSX.

As it is Intel based, current difficulties such as iCloud support should be simpler to overcome.

Currently going for about £120 in the UK after cashback it might be a worthwhile upgrade for some.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Hi Splonk,

As I have 2 of the older AMD Gen 7's I'm keen to continue using them. One is a Windows 8 machine thats not used a great deal, but is there if a backup Windows desktop is needed by anyone.

The other is Snow Leopard and is used much more often, esp with remote access from other Macs.

Seems I have 3 options for the Snow Leopard box;

1. Continue on SL - Works well and my previous browser issues have settled, so I'm putting that down to simply too many tabs/windows. Longer term I'm concerned about interworking with up to date Macs - Yosemite and beyond.

2. Go to Mavericks - not realistic with the remote access issues.

3. Look at another OS - Windows or Linux. Am open minded here, but either option is additional complexity of running 2 OS's and tbh doesn't really appeal.

So I'll likely stick with SL, but check back here occasionally to see if other Mavericks installed Gen 7s have similar issues to Martin or not and if they have, how have have solved them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy