[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

janitor

369 posts in this topic

My latest project has been to install Yosemite on my N36L Microserver.  I tried the Vanilla install route first, using one of Bronya’s AMD kernels, but kept getting KP’s and reboot loop issues.

Reverted to Hackintosh Zone distro yesterday and with some patience have now got Yosemite 10.10.1 installed!

I had to use the following boot flags with the AMD64 kernel on the usb /AMD64 -v npci=0x2000 This got me to the OS X installer.  Using the /AMD kernel kept failing and never progressed to the installer section.  I had to be patient with installer as the N36L takes its time getting through the initial boot screens.

The actual install of OS X Yosemite from the usb took around 2 hours & 20 minutes, so some more patience was required.  I opened the Window Log screen to monitor the progress of the install.  There were two reasons for this; the first was I could monitor the install, which continually seemed to have stalled but the mouse pointer was working and I could move the log screen around (some minor graphic glitches), so I assumed things were happening in the background. The second was to prevent the auto reboot once the installation had completed.  This second result is very important as I wanted to make sure that the AMD64 kernel had been copied to the correct location and overwritten the vanilla kernel.  There is a Terminal process for doing this, which I followed from the Hackintosh Zone.

I rebooted to the usb and selected my Yosemite install using the following boot flags -v -f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID =1 but did not need to use the kernel flag.  Boot was sucessful and I completed my OS X install through the Apple installer.  I had kept my ethernet cable unplugged during the install as I know there can be issues with iCloud and iMessage with the ethernet connected.  Also as I hadn’t at this point installed the BCM5722D ethernet kext , so it would’t have worked even if it was plugged in.

Successfully booted to the desktop, I had a grey screen for approx. 10 seconds, then a black screen appeared with the Hackintosh Zone desktop icons & menu bar at the top of the screen visible, the dock was not visible at first.  After a short wait the Yosemite mountain desktop image appeared, along with the dock at the bottom of the screen.  The Hackintosh Zone installation routine commenced and eventually finished its updates.

I then installed Show All Files and changed the name of the installed Kernel to “AMD_Kernel” (having first rebooted and logged in to my Mavericks install), still using the USB.

I then logged back in to Yosemite using the following additional flag ‘ Kernel=AMD_Kernel.

I then proceeded to update chameleon.  Configured the Chameleon.plist and set the SMBios to iMac 8.1, changing the serial number etc.  Chameleon.plist shown below

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Pithecia</string>

<key>AtiPorts</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>Kernel</string>

<key>AMD_Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 ahcidisk=1 debug=8 dart=0</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>LoginToLion</string>

I then installed the BCM5722D ethernet kext copied from my Mavericks install.

I can currently only boot from the USB but not the HD, so I need to fix this issue.

I have since begun tweaking my wifi, time, location, keyboard and mouse.  I have checked that the device id for my HD 6450 AMD graphics card kexts were present in the AMD kexts and that they were loaded.

The Launchpad icons were ‘red’ after I rebooted for the second time.  Bronya has provided a fix for this, which can be found with his 10.10.0 AMD kernel in the download section.  The application io fix the ‘Red’ coloured icons is ‘launchpad-refresh-v5_Yosemite’.  There is also a AMD WebKit-patch which I also ran as I wasn’t sure if the Hackintosh Zone installation had included this patch.

I have had some issues with Safari pages not loading or only partially loading.  Graphics seem good, I have magnification and genie affect working on the dock.

This probably should have gone in the Yosemite forum as a new post but I thought I would place it here so the die hard HP Microserver OS X users would be able to find it.

Update No 1 on Yosemite install to HP Microserver N36L.

Issues:

• Red wash to login screen
  • On logging in I am faced with a Grey screen, mouse evident and active in top left hand corner, lasts approx. 5 seconds
  • Then switches to a Black screen, also lasts approx. 5 seconds before switching to a black desktop, which then shows the Yosemite image.
  • Red coloured launchpad icons, fixed with Bronya’s automation file, which I have now set to automatically run when I login.
  • Red coloured icons on Safari new tab page, Favourites and Frequently Viewed icons have Red wash to them.
  • Selecting a file or app to open is a pain.  I have to select the ‘text name’ for the file or app, the icon is not hyperlinking to the normal ‘open’ action, only the text name.  This is not the same on Launchpad where selecting any part of the icon works as normal.
  • I still can’t login to iCloud, so iMessages unlikely to work.

Fixes:

• Switched Ethernet to EN0 from EN2, as the wifi was working when I installed this was given the EN0 designation and Ethernet when installed assigned EN2.  Deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist and Preferences.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and then rebooting the server dealt with this issue.
  • Appstore working and offering updates, I assume that iTunes will work as was the case with my Mavericks install.
  • Manual install of Chameleon fixed booting from HD issues.  I had updated the boot loader through Chameleon Wizard and it didn't install correctly.

Future actions:

• Install Clover, see if this will fix iCloud and iMessage issues, using iMessage Fix.
  • Having cloned the hard drive I am thinking of updating to 10.10.3 and then 10.10.5 using an alternative AMD kernel and kext replacements, 10.10.3 kernel available from download section and posted by Spakk.  I am hoping this fixes RED wash and icon issues.
  • Now I have a working Yosemite install I may download and try the latest server app.

Just to clarify the full set of boot flags set by the Distro includes the kext-dev-mode=1 ahcidisk=1 debug=8 and dart=0 flags by default, the flags I added at the start to get the Microserver to initially boot to the installer were /AMD64 -v npci=0x2000.

Update No 2

Posting this using Screen sharing between my intel hack (Yosemite 10.10.5) and the Microserver running 10.10.1 works fine.  No lag or graphics issues so far.

I can boot the Microserver with a Clover USB, it gets to the login quicker and smother than with Chameleon but the usb mouse is frozen. I can login to Yosemite and use the keyboard but that is a pain.  I will tweak the clover config.plist I have created to see if this mouse issue can be resolved.

I had reverted to a MacPro 3.1 config but I think that may be part of the clover boot issues.  I will revert back to the iMac 8.1 config i used when the Microserver first booted.

I also tried to generate a specific config.plist for the Microserver using Cover Configurator but that also failed.  So I have tweaked a standard plist, which is probably why my mouse doesn't work!

I tried to extract the Rom & MLB codes from iMessageDebug but it fails to generate, which will be required if I am to get iCloud and iMessage working on the Microserver.

Update No 3

Reverted back to SMBIOS iMac 8.1 from MacPro 3.1 as this seems to work better in Yosemite on the Microserver.

Tried upgrading Microserver to both 10.10.3 & directly to 10.10.5 but had problems with both.  While the combo update for both os increments install ok, once I try to boot to the os with one of the alternative AMD kernels created by Spakk I got instant reboots and screen lock ups.  I had before trying to boot either incremented os updated the system.kext and three framework files on the updated hard drive, by logging in to my clone hd and using kext wizard and Disk Utility to repair permissions etc.  But no joy so I reverted back to my clone of 10.10.1 to think before I try this again.  The alternative AMD kernels may not work with the Turion cpu!

Still having issues with the ROM and MLB codes not being generated for my iMessage fix.  As this board is unlikely to ever have had either codes hard written to the Microserver BIOS or anywhere else I have prepared a standard config.plist with clover configurator.  I have managed to generate a ROM code for the board but still not got a MLB code (using Calculate feature on RTvariables tab).  I haven't done anything with this as yet but have saved the file for another attempt to get the Microserver booting with Clover.  Yosemite and Mavericks both boot ok on the Microserver with Chameleon v2.3svn r2716.

I have moved everything to my N54L from the N36L and noticed a marked improvement in speed and response times.  I swapped the 1GB HD 6450 graphics card for a 2GB HD 6450, at the moment I am getting 1920 x 1080 resolution on the HDMI but I know I can increase this to 2560 x 1440 by switching to the DVI connector. 

Bluetooth, airport/wifi and DVD rom all working as expected.

Update No 4 for Yosemite on HP Microserver:

Managed to update one of my cloned hard drives to Yosemite 10.10.4 using the Combo update and kernel_10.10.3_rc1, didn't need to replace any kexts or frameworks.  There are a number of errors evident during the boot but these do not force it to stop.  

Failed to connect to iCloud during the Apple sign in process on the first boot of 10.10.4, which was not really surprising.  i think I will have to copy the iCloud settings from my intel hack or try using the migration tool.

White icons on Launchpad remain but dealt with using Bronya's Automation file.  I have realised that the red login screen is part of the Hackintosh Zone install and not an error.

AppStore sign in works with no issues.  So I have downloaded the latest Server App from the store and will probably play with this over the next couple of days.

Update No. 5 for Yosemite on HP Microserver:

As I have been cloning the Yosemite install with SuperDuper to keep a working copy on a separate drive, I managed to delete the HD Recovery partition on both drives.  Due to cloning the second drive once I had a working version of 10.10.4 on the first.  Fortunately I found a site with an AppleScript written by Chris Silvertooth (Recovery Partition Creator 3.8), which works with Yosemite and I have successfully replaced the deleted recovery partitions on both HD's.  This has resulted in the Favourite icons in Safari (on any new tab) being their normal colours not Red as previously was the case.  I may need to add some Bootflags to get the Recovery partition to boot.

I also believe that Bronya's new kernel for 10.10.4 contains the routine to deal with the white icons on launchpad as I have not had to run this again since the 10.10.4 update.

Clover on the Microserver seems to be more trouble than it is worth, bit of a steep learning curve to get it working without any glitches on the AMD system.  So I will be sticking with Chameleon for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Update No 6 for Yosemite on HP Microserver:

Using the 10.10.5 combo update and a new AMD Kernel posted by Spakk (Spakk_10.10.5_SSEPlus_v2), which is available in the Download section on this site, I have today updated one of my Microserver hard drives to 10.10.5!  Big thanks to Spakk and the other AMD developers for all their work.

There was no need to replace any kexts or frameworks, the new kernel simply worked with my pre-existing Chameleon bootflags.

No issues with white or red icons.  The applications I have tried all seem to work as expected.

Been away from home for the past week so not had a chance to play with the Server app, but this is currently the only update highlighted in the App Store.

Still plan to get Clover to work with the Microserver (if I can) at some point but so happy to have got the final Yosemite install working on this little machine.

Edit: Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke I have just updated my main SSD to Yosemite 10.10.5 using the same process.  I ran the Combo update and before rebooting copied the updated AMD kernel to the 'System/Library/Kernels' folder, having first renamed the AMD Kernel to match the Chameleon kernel bootflag - which is now AMD_Kernel5.  Still get Sandbox issues during verbose post but this doesn't stop the install or Microserver from Booting.

• 2 weeks later...

I also own a Microserver Gen7. I got it running 10.10.1 using Chameleon. I am trying to boot it with Clover. Which actually works for now :).

But I also try to install 10.10.5 using Clover. After installation and reboot it doesn't boot anymore for some reason. I will post the results if I manage to get it working. 

Anyone who is interested:

Eventually I managed to install 10.10.5. After installation I copied the kernel from the USB to the HDD. But for some reason I was not able to boot the HDD where Yosemite was installed. I got an immediate reboot (clover could not find kernel?). Fortunate I was able to boot my 10.10.1 installation and then I installed the kexts I needed to the 10.10.5 partition and I recopied the kernel was well. Now I was able to boot the HDD and finish the installation of 10.10.5!

Result: Microserver is running 10.10.5 booted by clover :) and it has never been so fast! Yeah! 

@ 85Razor,

Will you share your Clover setup with us.

Can you confirm how you have set up your Clover USB? Did you use Legacy mode or EFI? I tried both and can't now remember which mode worked. I'm assuming it was legacy as the Microserver Bios is so limited.

Which version of Clover have you installed?

Which Kexts have you placed in the 10.10 folder - When I tried to setup a USB I used just the normal ones i.e. Ethernet, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement. Did you use anything different?

Can you share your config.plist (obviously first removing your serial number).

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Edhawk

Hi!

I still don't know what causes the boot problems with Clover but I know it's in the config file. With the right parameters it can be booted. This is what I eventually did.

Make a USB stick with Clover_v2.3k_Special edition (uploaded by chris1111). Use this: Install Yosemite, Install boot0ss in MBR, CloverEFI 64-bits SATA, INTEL HD 4600. (I only needed a correct config file and that's why I clicked intel HD 4600 option in the installer).

Next, in the config file change the intel inject line from true to false, and I changed the inject ATI to true because I have an ATI video card. Add the boot flags npci=0x2000 and -v. In the kext folder I had: FakeSMC, ethernet, NullCPUPowerManagement and the System.kext from the latest 10.10.5 kernel. Place the kernel in Systems/Library/Kernels/ on the USB stick.

That's it. Now you should boot into the installer :) Then I continued like I said in post #284.

• 2 months later...

My boot disk on my SL N36 has given up at the weekend. So although I have a CCC backup, I'm wondering if this is the time to consider a later version.

How have people gotten on over the last few months?

Whats the clearest step by step write up out there?

Not sure there'll be anything quite as good as Janitors original though  :)

I am still on 10.10.5, which is running well. Maybe that's where you want to go. I do not have any issues with it, but I am only using the server for backups...

You are right. Most of the time I use screen share. But that is on full resolution 1920x1080. I use an extra video card. Because I couldn't get the onboard to work. I installed 10.10.5 as described above.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats good news re 1920x1080 - I use 1680/1050 just because it matches the laptop I screen share from.

Think I have a 6450 video card somewhere - will have to see if I can dig it out.

I think I may give your 10.10.5 method a go at the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

You are right. Most of the time I use screen share. But that is on full resolution 1920x1080. I use an extra video card. Because I couldn't get the onboard to work. I installed 10.10.5 as described above.

What video card do you use?

Which one is best/most compatible do you think to use with Yosemite? I'm thinking of updating the n36l from snow leopard but as I only screen share and still use the onboard graphics which doesn't work anymore on yosemite, think it's time for a little upgrade!

Thanks,

Saf

• 2 weeks later...

I use an AMD HD6450 video card. I think it Asus. It works great out out of the box :)

Thanks, I just need to fit the thing in now.

What distro did you use for 10.10.5? Might try and update the n36l this weekend 

Yes. 10.10.5

Thanks

Ended up using the HZ distro seeing as I found I'd already downloaded it a while back. 

Installed it. But when it comes to booting, I've got it in verbose mode, it goes through everything fine, then towards the end, a few messages come up about AMD graphics accelerator starting etc, VGA matching failed and then screen goes black and it restarts the server.

No visible kernel panics etc.

Did you guys install it using the onboard vga? Because I've got it plugged into the HDMI port on the HD6450...

Any ideas @Edhawk or @85Razor?

Thanks,

Saf

I used Clover to boot and the additional graphics card using HDMI. I did not use the onboard card. I cann't recall I have seen a VGA matching failed error or something similar. 

I used Clover to boot and the additional graphics card using HDMI. I did not use the onboard card. I cann't recall I have seen a VGA matching failed error or something similar. 

Thanks

Got it to boot by removing all the graphics driver. But obviously now it's poor graphics. Just need to find some drivers for the HD6450 graphics now! Did it work for you guys without any additional drivers?