Belkin USB Wireless Adapter F5D7050

sev7en

54 posts in this topic

I can see it under the ZD program Belkin USB2.0 WLAn but under available Network there is nothing, I'm using a Linksys Router, not sure what the model it is but it's the new black one. I'm using OSX 10.5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks to Steve, I got the Zydas driver from his link, my 2Wire network shows up in the WLAN utility and it shows great signal strength. The only problem is that in spite of all that, I cannot access the Internet. NO URL will work -- not even Google. The way I am sending this is with Airport on, the adapter off and sitting next to the main router. That works, but I bought the adapter, so I could sit in the family room and use it. I used to get a better signal from Airport until I updated the Airport software, thinking it would help the signal strength, which made the signal worse -- hence the Belkin adaptor. My other laptop with Tiger works fine with Airport. A new Toshiba with Vista of my mother's works great. It's just this Mac laptop with OsX 10-3-9.

I have no idea what to do next -- especially because it shows I'm getting a good signal from the wireless. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawn

Here's what it looks like:

BelkinNoAirporton.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
please help

Hi, i bought belkin usb wireless too,I was told it works but i couldn't get it working.i am running mac osx 10.5.2,how did you get yours working.

I can only tell you what I did that finally made it work. Mine is probably way more convoluted than it needed to be because I realized a select and connect step I had missed initially, so several of the last steps I list here may not be necessary. I'm just including them in case the CONNECT button doesn't work for you after you do the first few.

1. I installed the Zydas driver.

2. I made sure that I selected Belkin Ethernet as the Location in the Network System preferences. (On mine it shows up in the list with Airport and Internal Modem as Ethernet Adaptor (en2). I also made sure that Airport was turned off.

3. In the WLAN utility that comes with either the adaptor or driver (I don't know -- it just showed up!), it found my wireless router (a 2WIRE). Part of that window lists your Current Network Information and will say a channel number, SSID, TX rate and a button that says CHANGE.

4. I think if you click on your Router name in the left side of the window, you see the CHANGE button, turn to CONNECT and then you click it. (This is what I really believe if I had done initially, it most likely would have saved me from other steps below. I think what I ended up doing manually, would have been taken care of automatically) I also had to add in the WEP encryption code that came with my router somewhere, but I think the computer just asked me for it.

If that does NOT work, go into System Preferences, select the Ethernet adaptor, select Configure and make sure it says Using DHCP as Steve suggested. Go back and try the CONNECT button again.

If THAT doesn't work, here is what I did manually.

5. What I did manually BEFORE step 4 is that I went into my system preferences and tried some of Steve's suggestions, plus a few more on my own. I selected the Ethernet Adapter, clicked on Configure. Where it says Configure IPv4 (directly under the TCP/IP...PPPoE. . . Apple Talk buttons), I tried Using DHCP which didn't work for me (although I really think it would have if I had clicked on 2WIRE and told it to CONNECT in the WLAN utility).

I used the DHCP with manual address setting and manually set the IP address -- I did it by finding on my 2WIRE account settings online the IP addresses it listed for my computer that was hardwired, plus another laptop running Tiger that DID work through Airport). Then I set the last 2 digits of the IP of the second computer to one number higher. So my IP of a computer that worked was 192.168.1.65 -- I put that number, but ended it with 66. I used subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (which may be different for a different router) and I think I entered the Router IP address (which I also found online). Then I switched back to Using DHCP.

6. Then I went back to the WLAN utility, selected my 2WIRE router out of list, which then made the CONNECT button show up in that window and voila -- it worked.

Good luck -- I know how frustrating it can be!

To dawl, or anybody that has any ideas what the connection problem might be.

i have installed Zydas driver,

after restarting my pc, it automatically showed up

Zydas with all the available network in my arear

almost thought i nailed it :unsure: , but somehow when i select my preferred net, it just don't connect.it kept connecting forever, in other words it can't link status.i checked my interface config, it uses en0 and in my network preferrence it shows i have no airport driver at all.

any ideas :blink:

tap back,

cheers.

I can only tell you what I did that finally made it work. Mine is probably way more convoluted than it needed to be because I realized a select and connect step I had missed initially, so several of the last steps I list here may not be necessary. I'm just including them in case the CONNECT button doesn't work for you after you do the first few.

1. I installed the Zydas driver.

2. I made sure that I selected Belkin Ethernet as the Location in the Network System preferences. (On mine it shows up in the list with Airport and Internal Modem as Ethernet Adaptor (en2). I also made sure that Airport was turned off.

3. In the WLAN utility that comes with either the adaptor or driver (I don't know -- it just showed up!), it found my wireless router (a 2WIRE). Part of that window lists your Current Network Information and will say a channel number, SSID, TX rate and a button that says CHANGE.

4. I think if you click on your Router name in the left side of the window, you see the CHANGE button, turn to CONNECT and then you click it. (This is what I really believe if I had done initially, it most likely would have saved me from other steps below. I think what I ended up doing manually, would have been taken care of automatically) I also had to add in the WEP encryption code that came with my router somewhere, but I think the computer just asked me for it.

If that does NOT work, go into System Preferences, select the Ethernet adaptor, select Configure and make sure it says Using DHCP as Steve suggested. Go back and try the CONNECT button again.

If THAT doesn't work, here is what I did manually.

5. What I did manually BEFORE step 4 is that I went into my system preferences and tried some of Steve's suggestions, plus a few more on my own. I selected the Ethernet Adapter, clicked on Configure. Where it says Configure IPv4 (directly under the TCP/IP...PPPoE. . . Apple Talk buttons), I tried Using DHCP which didn't work for me (although I really think it would have if I had clicked on 2WIRE and told it to CONNECT in the WLAN utility).

I used the DHCP with manual address setting and manually set the IP address -- I did it by finding on my 2WIRE account settings online the IP addresses it listed for my computer that was hardwired, plus another laptop running Tiger that DID work through Airport). Then I set the last 2 digits of the IP of the second computer to one number higher. So my IP of a computer that worked was 192.168.1.65 -- I put that number, but ended it with 66. I used subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (which may be different for a different router) and I think I entered the Router IP address (which I also found online). Then I switched back to Using DHCP.

6. Then I went back to the WLAN utility, selected my 2WIRE router out of list, which then made the CONNECT button show up in that window and voila -- it worked.

Good luck -- I know how frustrating it can be!

it works!!!! :D ,i am sending this from safari, well i did nothing magically,last i gave up,cos

it was stuck on still connecting so i left it,

just when i switch on my pc now, it automatically connected.

its all through ya instructions man, thanks a lot

now i can worry about new things.

those who still confused out there,

belkin usb wireless 7050 works just fine,

you just have to download zydas and install,

restart and BLAM!

• 4 weeks later...
There's the problem. The version 4 (or 4000) of this wireless adaptor no longer works with Ralink drivers, apparently you need to install the ZyDAS 1211 chipset ones instead:

http://www.atheros.com/RD/downloads/download_ZD1211B.htm

That one should work. I'm in the middle of trying to get these drivers running on my Mac right this moment, which is how I found your post. *grin*

OK, an update: I installed the above-linked drivers and the wireless adaptor worked, however before I could get it to connect to any wireless networks I had to configure the en1 device in my system preferences, and THEN run the Wlan utility to choose a wireless network. Try that on your system if you have problems getting the Wlan utility to recognize your wireless network in its list. I had to set up the en1 to use DHCP and Apply the changes to make the IP configuration "active" before Wlan could see the network list.

Strangely I found that my DHCP server wouldn't respond over WEP-enabled transit, but on a non-WEP connection to my network, the DHCP worked. This could be driver bug, perhaps?

Good luck,

Steve

Hi,

As the post was dated 3 years ago.

The link is broken. I'm not too surprised.

Does anyone able to provide a new link, or email the driver it to me?

manchuks@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot.

-PurplePig-

• 3 months later...
here are the drivers for 10.4 and 10.5 just in case links are broken. one of the easiest to setup card. (except the airport compatible network cards)

this is for the V4000 and up models of the card.

I installed this without problems and restarted the computer. The light in the belkin usb is out instantly after plugging the usb in the computer, just a quick green flash. When I open the Wlan program it says "connecting" but never finds any networt. It has chosen the belkin usb 2.0 as the only possible..

What to do?

Cheers

I installed this without problems and restarted the computer. The light in the belkin usb is out instantly after plugging the usb in the computer, just a quick green flash. When I open the Wlan program it says "connecting" but never finds any networt. It has chosen the belkin usb 2.0 as the only possible..

What to do?

Cheers

keep the usb plugged in during reboot. (it shouldn't really matter tho if you plug it in after or before).

once you open up the utility if you have the belkin usb 2.0 on the list (which like you said will be the only possible one) that means installation is successful and device is already functioning. (light blinks more as there is more activity and its normal for it to blink only once as you plug it).

also you can confirm the proper installation of the card in system profiler (click apple menu -- about this mac -- more info -- then choose locations on the left hand side of the screen). en0 most likely to be you onboard wired nic / en1... en2 etc. make sure you have the MAC address like 00:14:XX:XX kind of address there. (if you check usb it might not really give you an exact idea weather Network card is installed properly or not as it will just read the ID of any device plugged into the usb port).

other way to see if you have the device installed as a network card is quite simple

go to your HDD -- applications --- utilities --- terminal --- and then type "ipconfig ifcount"

it will tell you the number of network cards installed on the computer as "1" or "2" or "3"

if you already have an onboard wired card on the computer then, you should at least have 2 or more as the result of the command.

if you get the answer 2 then u might also want to type "ipconfig getifaddr en0" this should tell you your wired/onboard network cards ip address such as "192.168.1.2" then try typing "ipconfig getifaddr en2" where en2 can be en1 or en2 or en 3 (depending on the number of cards you have).

if you get an answer as "get uf addr en2 failed, (os/kern) failure then it means u just dont have the ip address assigned for your device from your router.

this still is not a bad news at least you will know ur network card is already installed properly.

all you need to do is go back to the utility of belkin card (ZD wireless Lan configuration)

click on the "change" button underneath "belkin usb2.0 Wlan"

then enter the correct information such as your SSID and your wep key (if applicable).

like i said above, if you see your device under location in system profiler - and get the answer of having 2 or more network cards with ipconfig. its all a matter of entering correct info into the utility.

keep the usb plugged in during reboot. (it shouldn't really matter tho if you plug it in after or before).

once you open up the utility if you have the belkin usb 2.0 on the list (which like you said will be the only possible one) that means installation is successful and device is already functioning. (light blinks more as there is more activity and its normal for it to blink only once as you plug it).

also you can confirm the proper installation of the card in system profiler (click apple menu -- about this mac -- more info -- then choose locations on the left hand side of the screen). en0 most likely to be you onboard wired nic / en1... en2 etc. make sure you have the MAC address like 00:14:XX:XX kind of address there. (if you check usb it might not really give you an exact idea weather Network card is installed properly or not as it will just read the ID of any device plugged into the usb port).

other way to see if you have the device installed as a network card is quite simple

go to your HDD -- applications --- utilities --- terminal --- and then type "ipconfig ifcount"

it will tell you the number of network cards installed on the computer as "1" or "2" or "3"

if you already have an onboard wired card on the computer then, you should at least have 2 or more as the result of the command.

if you get the answer 2 then u might also want to type "ipconfig getifaddr en0" this should tell you your wired/onboard network cards ip address such as "192.168.1.2" then try typing "ipconfig getifaddr en2" where en2 can be en1 or en2 or en 3 (depending on the number of cards you have).

if you get an answer as "get uf addr en2 failed, (os/kern) failure then it means u just dont have the ip address assigned for your device from your router.

this still is not a bad news at least you will know ur network card is already installed properly.

all you need to do is go back to the utility of belkin card (ZD wireless Lan configuration)

click on the "change" button underneath "belkin usb2.0 Wlan"

then enter the correct information such as your SSID and your wep key (if applicable).

like i said above, if you see your device under location in system profiler - and get the answer of having 2 or more network cards with ipconfig. its all a matter of entering correct info into the utility.

Hi again, and thanks a lot for you taking the time..

It unfortunately didn't solve the problem.

I tried doing as described but the problem is, that when I plug in the usb (before turning on the eMac), it only has light on for a second - and the light doesn't come back on, I've tried waiting half an hour.. Because of this the ZD doesn't find any networks but just keep saying "connecting" - and if the usb was supposed to find anything, I guess it should have a light or blink or so..

Frustrating!

Hi again, and thanks a lot for you taking the time..

It unfortunately didn't solve the problem.

I tried doing as described but the problem is, that when I plug in the usb (before turning on the eMac), it only has light on for a second - and the light doesn't come back on, I've tried waiting half an hour.. Because of this the ZD doesn't find any networks but just keep saying "connecting" - and if the usb was supposed to find anything, I guess it should have a light or blink or so..

Frustrating!

well if its gonna work it will work right away, there is no need to wait for 30 minutes. as for the light, light might blink only once when you plug it in and might not blink again until there is activity on it.

do you see the device on the list of network devices ? (system preferences -- network. it should be on the left of the screen)

well if its gonna work it will work right away, there is no need to wait for 30 minutes. as for the light, light might blink only once when you plug it in and might not blink again until there is activity on it.

do you see the device on the list of network devices ? (system preferences -- network. it should be on the left of the screen)

If I open network in system prefs, I have 3 posibilities in "show". Built in ethernet, built in firewire, ethernet adaptor(en3) and furthermore network status and network port configurations

location is automatic or Belkin router

I gave it 30 minutes becuase it was "connecting" - but it never gets to show my or any other networks.. On my pc it shows at least ten different networks..

i'm not sure what you are looking at honestly .. but here is a quick view of my screens ...

here is the network windows under - system preferences

picture3copy.png

this is from on of my computers that has 10.5.6 (ignore the nonsense ports port (1) and port (2).

the green one is the belkin adapter which is connected

the orange is the built in wired ethernet (en2), cable is not plugged in so there is no ip address assigned to it.

but even if belkin (en1) was orange it would only mean that i don't have an ip address assigned (not driver is not installed properly).

here another shot from my laptop

picture6vp.png

this one doesn't have a belkin card but a BCM4318 which gets recognized as airport card

green this time is my wired internet (while i'm @ my desk i use wired connection).

and red just means there is no ip assigned. (but definitely device is functioning properly)

Now! here if you can get to this screen (you dont have and probably don't yet have the signal strength bars at the bottom but nothing to worry about this). just click on the change button u dont need to have anything else on this screen.

picture4copy.png

once you click on the change button

you should get the following screen

picture5r.png

here just click on change button - enter the SSID manually - chose network type as infrastructure -- chose your encryption type WEP etc. then chose your Authentication type.

once you chose your authentication type click on the appropriate encryption setting right below - if wep make sure you chose 64bit/128bit encryption type accordingly (128bit is usually 26 characters in length etc). or the WPA PSK key - and enter it.

then give your profile a name if you like and save it in case u wanna retrive these settings easily in the future.

click on OK at the bottom everything should be ok.

if NONE of these work and u dont even get a change button. go into ur HDD --- Applications folder --- Utilities --- ZD utility

then right click or control click on ZD utility click on show package contents --- trash the contents -- then trash the ZD utility icon (it will already get a / sign over it). remove the USB stick from the computer --- reboot --- then install the drivers again from the link i provided, reboot and then connect the USB adapter

i think this still is one of the easiest card to run on pretty much any os X version. i already used it on 10.4.6/10.4.8/10.5.2/10.5.6/10.5.8 (all same installs and not a single hick up).

• 2 weeks later...

here are the drivers for belkin f5d7050 v3000 and older. (uses ralink drivers) again with the small guide how to remove it (v4000+ driver) if you installed wrong drivers (for v4000 and up etc). etc. etc. etc.

i dont have a ralink chipset model of this card so i would really appreciate any kinda feedback on how it will work out so i can keep or remove this driver.

here is the link

here are the drivers for belkin f5d7050 v3000 and older. (uses ralink drivers) again with the small guide how to remove it if you installed wrong drivers (for v4000 and up etc). etc. etc. etc.

i dont have a ralink chipset of this card so i would really appreciate any kinda feedback on how it will work out for you. so i can keep or remove this driver and find a working one for you.

here is the link

Whiskas mate I can't tell you how much indebted I am for taking the time to reply to my PMs and uploading the files. I will test the drivers when I get back home today.

One thing I noticed from the thread pics above, is that in my case when I boot or log in SL, the WLAN application starts up but all the slots are empty and greyed out.

My only option is to remove the card and re-insert it in the USB slot. It is an annoyance really, but if you folks connect to the internet straight away, then there's might be a solution I can reproduce to get the 7050 to be automatically detected on boot and sleep recovery.

For the record, I used the F2D9050 v.4 osx drivers in my SL vanilla install to get my 7050nt v3 usb adapter detected.

i'm glad you got it to work. :(

for some weird reason when used with vanilla kernel there is the sleep issue with the cards. (when used with toh it seems to work fine). at least the problem can be fixed by removing and plugging the card back in.

if i come across a fix i sure will post it here.

Any clues as to why the bloody WLAN application launches at boot/sleep recovery but is all greyed out?

most likely because its simply using a generic driver under the skin. but then again i am not 100% sure about the cause of the problem as Toh seems to be working fine.

OK Whiskas you are the MAN. :wacko:;):D:D:D:D:D:D

The Belkin/Ralink drivers you supplied above work beautifully AND fix the annoyance of having to remove-reinsert the usb wifi adapter every time OSX boots.

[i am having some issue with not being able to recover from sleep but that's a whole different matter, guess I must be missing some kexts]

• 1 month later...

So I had read multiple places that this adapter worked wonders on macs. I have a G5 Dual Core Mac and went and bought the Belkin F5D7050 V 3 today. I found the links to ralink corp (http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3) and downloaded the driver. Installed the driver restarted the computer. If I have the adapter in the computer on startup it won't startup all the way, the fans start running like crazy and everything freezes. If I put it in after startup everything freezes then the fans start up. If anyone has any suggestions or help please give it to me.

Thanks