[HOW TO] enable HDMI DP DVI output on ATI 4890 4870 4850 4830 series (TESTING)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

ytrox

ytrox

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

ok after installing the frame buffer and the 4800 controller and the ati support, osx doesn't load the gui.

However with the boot files you gave me both screens come up, but what ever is on the DVI is the primary display, the secondary is a mirror of the primary - however as soon as you go to change any settings you lose the secondary monitor...

try continuing changing resotions or the monitors positions. if you loose the host page of system prefs click on gather windows.

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Is strange, with no next change, if I drop the dvi connector, it will bring up the hdmi connected monitor as if it WAS the second monitor (i.e. no menu at the top nothing on my primary desktop...then when I plug the DVI cable back in to the PC, it drops signal off the HDMI cable back to the main desktop screen :/ And th system properties sees two monitors...

Thank god for super duper...otherwise I would have thrown my pc out the window...no more installs...

And just to clarify, all 3 ports, hdmi, dvi and DP all work on windows 7...

ytrox

ytrox

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

try continuing changing resotions or the monitors positions. if you loose the host page of system prefs click on gather windows.

sorry I have read wrong. if your system loads framebuffer you will have black screen at startup. right? have you connect the two monitors before turnig on the machine? can you boot in safe (-x) mode?

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I just booted into my working install, let me try safe mode - and yes both monitors connected at system power on.

All I see is the verbose logging to console, saying DSMOS has arrived and then the read drivers for ntfs drives.

ytrox

ytrox

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I just booted into my working install, let me try safe mode - and yes both monitors connected at system power on.

All I see is the verbose logging to console, saying DSMOS has arrived and then the read drivers for ntfs drives.

If you can access your pc in remote mode you can change res from there.

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yup safe mode locked up, no sound when trying to input alt ctrl del, unlike non safe mode.

Are you running lion ytrox?

Also just out of curiosity, would running netkas exotic qe/ci patch make any difference?

ytrox

ytrox

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Yup safe mode locked up, no sound when trying to input alt ctrl del, unlike non safe mode.

Are you running lion ytrox?

Also just out of curiosity, would running netkas exotic qe/ci patch make any difference?

i'm running snow but i have tested kexts in lion, they works. netkas will not help you about resolution. you must try to change res in remote mode. remove framebuffer and activate screen sharing then reinstall framebuffer and use your pc in remote mode. you can also use team viewer to do that

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So remote desktop? Ok I will give it a shot tomorrow.

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have connected via remote desktop, and it is only seeing one monitor and stock resolutions. will try rebooting.

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, rebooted, still no dice, only sees 1 monitor, and resolutions are not right (seem 16:9 ratio, going up to 1680x1050). I have also disconnected both monitors, and reconnected them sperately etc...

Now I will say im using the chameleon 2.1 rc5 from this link (its built in with th script) http://www.insanelym...howtopic=185097

Its not the latest rev, but its close. Would that make any difference? I replaced the i386 folder from the boot loader with the one you gave me and it loads all my copies of working OSX. SO I dont think its the boot loader thats causing the problems...

If you have a copy of rev 1701 for download (complete) can I get it off you and try that - but I dont think its the boot loader.

I manually load the command arguments:

-AtiPorts=2 -AtiConfig=Peregrine

But no luck...any ideas?

ytrox

ytrox

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Ok, rebooted, still no dice, only sees 1 monitor, and resolutions are not right (seem 16:9 ratio, going up to 1680x1050). I have also disconnected both monitors, and reconnected them sperately etc...

Now I will say im using the chameleon 2.1 rc5 from this link (its built in with th script) http://www.insanelym...howtopic=185097

Its not the latest rev, but its close. Would that make any difference? I replaced the i386 folder from the boot loader with the one you gave me and it loads all my copies of working OSX. SO I dont think its the boot loader thats causing the problems...

If you have a copy of rev 1701 for download (complete) can I get it off you and try that - but I dont think its the boot loader.

I manually load the command arguments:

-AtiPorts=2 -AtiConfig=Peregrine

But no luck...any ideas?

look at pci cards in system profiler the framebuffer you are using. i believe you are using motmot

casperionx

casperionx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
when it loads up, I can see it says using peregrine - using verbose mode...check my pm. CHeers

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I noticed some people struggling to get simultaneous DVI and HDMI, so I thought I'd post.

I got DVI and HDMI working simultaneously in Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion on a SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB by modifying the MotMot ATI personality/frame buffer in ATI4800Controller.kex, which I learned from mucha's post. It appears that the MotMot ATI personality/frame buffer on Lion is set up for DVI and DisplayPort, but not HDMI. So, I edited the DP port from:

00 04 00 00 04 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 02 03

to change it to an HDMI port:

00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 20 00 02 02

The values:

00 80 00 00 (0x800) = connector-type (HDMI)
04 02 00 00 (0x204) = ATY,ControlFlags (had to boot it in a Mac Pro and use IORegistryExplorer to see what it was looking for, 0x200 did not work)
00 01 (0x01) = features ("internal", just kept it the same)
00 00 (0x00) = unknown (couldn't find it documented, just kept it the same)
20 (0x20) = transmitter (UNIPHYB/linkb=true reported by redsock_bios_decoder from my card's ROM dump on INTERNAL_UNIPHY)
00 (0x0) = encoder (DIG1/DIGA, kept the same, this differs from redsock's output but 0x1 causes a conflict with DVI)
02 (0x2) = hot plug ID (2 for port 2?, just kept it the same)
02 (0x2) = sense ID (reported by radeon_bios_decode, available on bcc9's post)

Attached Files

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
I'm gonna try this and see how it works out. Thanks for the post great way to make a 1st post 8)

Will post back with anything.

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I got DVI and HDMI working simultaneously in Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion on a SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB by modifying the MotMot ATI personality/frame buffer

Attached are patched Apple ATI Radeon HD 48xx Graphics drivers from Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (consisting of version 7.18.18 of ATI4800Controller.kext/ATIRadeonX2000.kext) with both:
  • netkas' QE/CI ATI Radeon HD 48xx "exotic" card patch, which enables hardware acceleration on unsupported cards, and
  • my HDMI ATI Radeon HD 48xx MotMot framebuffer patch, which enables simultaneous dual-link DVI+HDMI displays output.
Both kexts need to be installed with Cindori's Kext Drop or something else that properly installs kext files.

Works on my SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB with the following in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Motmot</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1600x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

It doesn't seem to "light up" both displays at the OS X desktop unless I set a graphics mode in Chameleon (or Chimera), which is kind-of interesting. In OS X, my actual desktop resolutions are 2560x1600 on dual-link DVI and 1920x1200 on HDMI (with DVI adapter).

Attached Files

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Works on my SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB

Using the above method, I kept seeing an unrecognized component of the 4890 card in "PCI Cards" in System Information (from About This Mac/System Report...), and eventually it dawned on me it was the HDMI audio output component.

Using instructions I found elsewhere, I added the "Generic DSDT_HDMI_Audio_Edit" code from the thread's dsdt-hdmi_audio-v3.dsl into my DSDT.aml file. That then fully recognized my graphics card in "PCI Cards" and also added "HDMI Output" to my audio devices.

No edits were necessary to AppleHDA or AppleHDAController as my card's HDMI Audio Device_id, "30 aa", was already in the kexts.

MrZarniwoop

MrZarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Same as above, simply updated for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 (12A269).

Attached are patched Apple ATI Radeon HD 48xx Graphics drivers (consisting of version 8.0.51 of ATI4800Controller.kext/ATIRadeonX2000.kext) with both:
  • netkas' QE/CI ATI Radeon HD 48xx "exotic" card patch, which enables hardware acceleration on unsupported cards, and
  • my HDMI ATI Radeon HD 48xx MotMot framebuffer patch, which enables simultaneous dual-link DVI+HDMI displays output.
Both kexts need to be installed with Cindori's Kext Drop or something else that properly installs kext files.

Attached Files

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Same as above, simply updated for OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56).

Attached Files

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I am not currently running 10.8.3 on my system, can someone test this for me for hardware acceleration on unsupported cards and simultaneous dual-link DVI+HDMI displays output?

UPDATE: Moved to 10.8.3, been tested. Works.

Attached are patched Apple ATI Radeon HD 48xx Graphics drivers for OS X 10.8.3 (12D78), consisting of version 8.10.44 of ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext with both netkas' QE/CI ATI Radeon HD 48xx "exotic" card patch and my HDMI MotMot framebuffer patch.

Attached Files

milkman107

milkman107

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not running 10.8.3 yet either on my system so I can't help you there, but I'm having a strange issue with my dual monitor setup on 10.8 using the QE/CI patch and Motmot patch from your post #37 above. Everything is working perfectly at proper resolution on my main DVI display, but the second VGA display goes into power-save mode as soon as the OSX login screen appears. Both displays are awake in the BIOS and in Chameleon. OSX still detects the VGA display, though; when I go to System Preferences -> Displays, and then click Gather Windows, the VGA display window pops up. I can also drag my mouse pointer off the screen as if the monitor was extending correctly, it just simply has no image.

I edited my org.chameleon.Boot.plist as you have in post #35, and have tried the following AtiConfigs to no avail: Motmot, Pithecia, Peregrine, Wormey, Lamma. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my full org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

[/indent]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Motmot</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string> 
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>
[indent=2]

And my Graphics/Displays info from System Information. Nothing shows up under PCI cards, though I have not yet tried your HDMI output fix above.

ATI Radeon HD 4800:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

L227W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

VGA Display:

Resolution: 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy