Want to learn how to make apps for iOS

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've always been a windows user, but always loved my iPhones and I have just decided that I want to learn how to make apps for iOS using my VM Mac OS X.

In Mac App Store, there is Xcode 4 for just £2.99. Is it all I need?

I've never written anything myself, but now I want to make something myself.

How do I start?

I know there is tons of tutorials, but it seems like a rocket science to me.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I've always been a windows user, but always loved my iPhones and I have just decided that I want to learn how to make apps for iOS using my VM Mac OS X.

In Mac App Store, there is Xcode 4 for just £2.99. Is it all I need?

I've never written anything myself, but now I want to make something myself.

How do I start?

I know there is tons of tutorials, but it seems like a rocket science to me.

Thanks!

As usual, one starts at the beginning and then put in lots of effort. Do you already know the basics of any kind of programming?

James Bucanek, "Beginning Xcode"

or

Learning iPhone Programming: From Xcode to App Store By Alasdair Allan

Publisher: O'Reilly Media 2010 | 384 Pages | ISBN: 0596806434 | PDF | 5 MB

"Get the hands-on experience you need to program for the iPhone and iPod Touch. With this easy-to-follow guide, you'll build several sample applications by learning how to use Xcode tools, the Objective-C programming language, and the core frameworks. Before you know it, you'll not only have the skills to develop your own apps, you'll know how to sail through the process of submitting apps to the iTunes App Store.

Whether you're a developer new to Mac programming or an experienced Mac developer ready to tackle the iPhone and iPod Touch, Learning iPhone Programming will give you a head start on building market-ready iPhone apps."

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I found learning Objective C was rather time consuming considering I already know HTML5, CSS3, and jquery. Sooooo I taught myself JQuery Mobile and started using Phonegap to port my webapps into the iTunes Store. I recommend it if you know web languages already.

• 7 months later...

I found learning Objective C was rather time consuming considering I already know HTML5, CSS3, and jquery. Sooooo I taught myself JQuery Mobile and started using Phonegap to port my webapps into the iTunes Store. I recommend it if you know web languages already.

It's time consuming because you've known web languages which differ from say C, C++, or even C#. I was coming from C++ and even with that, Obj-C had a bit of a steep learning curve for me to understand the ins and outs of it.

@zYx You could check thenewboston.com he was how I got started with Obj-C and gained a general understanding of how to work around in Xcode a bit then I took off with books from there. People tend to redirect you to Apple Documents about Obj-C but I found without prior knowledge of the language, it was the equivalent of reading Latin for the first time in your life.