HP EliteBook 8540w i7-720 with custom DSDT and native power management

msinfo_us

59 posts in this topic

Is the standard latest version of VoodooBattery. And worked with the latest dsdt.03.zip (not with dsdt.02.zip). Both are in the thread I posted you previously.

I'll try it, but sadly, this modficiation converts your vanilla in a non-vanilla installation. Should be great to have it in E/E. I will try if I have any KP or whatever. I am asuming there is no need to DSDT to use this iopcifamily.kext.

True in this case, but not in the case of the iopcifamily.

By the way, should be great to begin with Mac OS X Lion, isn't it?

And yes you are really helpful. Thank you very much again.

IOPCIFamily works from e/e just fine. Look at my attachement. Whenever there is a conflict newer version wins. So, when kexts are modded developer usually changes the version to be always higher or you can do it yourself. (PS You are going to see console errors during boot "newer IOPCIFamily loaded ignnoring older version").

BTW I've had Lion working just fine for the most part with the same dsdt on my HP laptop. I did it just as test and am not planning to run it until official release in a few weeks.

Glad I was able to help.

Good news !!!!!!

Today i received a packet with my new Broadcomm 94322 half mini Pci-e card. I have just replace my wifi card (intel 6300) by the new one.

And.... it works OOB !!!!! Recognized like the Airport. No problems with the withelist Bios, works fine on windows 7.... It is amazing!

I only need to get working backlight screen control.

Thanks for all the people that makes it work!

Sweet! Thank you for sharing. This HP is my work work laptop and they are talking going VDI now. If that fails (which I very much hope) I am defenently going to pick up Broadcomm 94322 half mini Pci-e card - Thanks again.

IOPCIFamily works from e/e just fine. Look at my attachement. Whenever there is a conflict newer version wins. So, when kexts are modded developer usually changes the version to be always higher or you can do it yourself. (PS You are going to see console errors during boot "newer IOPCIFamily loaded ignnoring older version").

BTW I've had Lion working just fine for the most part with the same dsdt on my HP laptop. I did it just as test and am not planning to run it until official release in a few weeks.

Glad I was able to help.

Doesn't work for me. Is refusing the version:

kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily, v2.6: already have loaded v2.6.3

Could you please provide me the correct version? Or much better, the way to modify the current one in order to use it.

I am glad you tried Lion. In one month we will be able to work with it. :)

Sweet! Thank you for sharing. This HP is my work work laptop and they are talking going VDI now. If that fails (which I very much hope) I am defenently going to pick up Broadcomm 94322 half mini Pci-e card - Thanks again.

What is VDI?

We should know exactly what version of the broadcomm card works. He is selling 4 on ebay, so maybe not all of them works.

One question more that I asked you before related with the graphic card. Doesn't work your graphic card without the nvidia drivers correctly? Mine works with QE/CI OOTB.

Cheers.

Doesn't work for me. Is refusing the version:

kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily, v2.6: already have loaded v2.6.3

Could you please provide me the correct version? Or much better, the way to modify the current one in order to use it.

- ;) Actually, what it tells you is that the correct version IS LOADED ALREADY. Please do this - Right click on kext - show package- open info.plist and look for version. You'll see the IOPCIFamily.kext you want to load is version 2.6.3. Did your USB3 started to work without giving you KP? (I assume you removed the kext you've been using before to enable USB3)

What is VDI?
- Virtual Desktop. What it means is that they want to replace my new shiny i7 HP laptop with a {censored} of {censored} desktop.
One question more that I asked you before related with the graphic card. Doesn't work your graphic card without the nvidia drivers correctly? Mine works with QE/CI OOTB.
- I thought I already answered. Sorry, if I was not clear. We have different HW/Video cards. To achieve full acceleration on my Quadro FX 880M I had to load the drivers. It is also possible I was using an older/different version of bootloader than you and my bootloader did not support my video card while your bootloader does.

PS Did you run OpenGL test to confirm that you do indeed have full acceleration?

- :) Actually, what it tells you is that the correct version IS LOADED ALREADY. Please do this - Right click on kext - show package- open info.plist and look for version. You'll see the IOPCIFamily.kext you want to load is version 2.6.3. Did your USB3 started to work without giving you KP? (I assume you removed the kext you've been using before to enable USB3)

USB3 ports don't work at all.

Yep, yours is the 2.6.3 version (in E/E) and in the system (S/L/E) is 2.6 version (I have 10.6.7). So is no loading is the version of S/L/E. Really weird.

But it doesn't work. Of course I uninstall the previous way to get USB3.

Find attached my ioreg dump.

- Virtual Desktop. What it means is that they want to replace my new shiny i7 HP laptop with a {censored} of {censored} desktop.

- I thought I already answered. Sorry, if I was not clear. We have different HW/Video cards. To achieve full acceleration on my Quadro FX 880M I had to load the drivers. It is also possible I was using an older/different version of bootloader than you and my bootloader did not support my video card while your bootloader does.

PS Did you run OpenGL test to confirm that you do indeed have full acceleration?

The 1800M card is the same as 880M with higher clocks and some more CUDA cores, not more than that.

I did the OpenGL test, and works perfectly.

I don't remember what version of chameleon I have, but I am sure that is supported since long time ago.

And you have pretty recent version. Maybe you have a problem with DSDT. I am almost sure.

Cheers mate.

=================================================================

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

=================================================================

By the way, my extra folder (besides the previous ioreg I posted). For your interest.

Explanation of kexts:

- VoodooPS2controller.kext: keyboard. Don't need to use any other. I modified the latest version with some things.

- VoodoBattery.kext: Battery.

- IOAudioFamily.kext, OSvKernDSPLib.kext and VoodooHDA.kext: Sound. I modified the latest version of VoodooHDA and it works like a charm. I didn't need to do any DSDT things... (maybe the person who did the DSDT corrections - MaLdOn - did something with it, I didn't do any extra thing). The other to kexts are for make it work in E/E.

- PXHCD.kext: USB3.

- FakeSMC.kext

I didn't include anything to ethernet, because I am not using it for the moment.

You have also my DSDT.aml.

You can try with it, if you want, if you have any 3D acceleration if you uninstall the nVidia drivers. Is up to you, but should be great you could try. Maybe you can see some things that worth it to know.

Cheers.

ioreg_iopcifamily.zip

Extra_10_06_2011.zip

USB3 ports don't work at all.

Yep, yours is the 2.6.3 version (in E/E) and in the system (S/L/E) is 2.6 version (I have 10.6.7). So is no loading is the version of S/L/E. Really weird.

But it doesn't work. Of course I uninstall the previous way to get USB3.

Find attached my ioreg dump.

- I do see you are missing USB ports in your ioreg. I am not sure why. You can compare to my ioreg dump. Try my dsdt (updated attachment posted early).
Maybe you have a problem with DSDT. I am almost sure.
- nope, not dsdt. I did a quick check for PEG devices (I assume you are using dsd03.zip from you reference before) - nothing new. Anyway, it does not matter. This is NOT a problem need to be troubleshot. Video works just the same. Can you run an external monitor? If you can than I am certainly going to look dipper into this.

By the way, I don't know if you saw my update with my extra folder and explanation in my previous post. You can have a look and try my config.

Tomorrow I will reply you again. But I don't know how to compare ioreg, etc... I am really noob.

Cheers.

But as far as I know that car only has two conectors...

- What did you do with the thirth one?

- How did you connect it?

- Did you do anything extra?

- Why are you selling 4 of them on ebay?

- What is the exact model that works?

- Could you post a link of the proper card that could work?

Greetings.

- I only connect the number one and number two, the third is not connected. These connectors are for the antenna, Intel 6300 has 3 connectors.

- Connecting the card is very easy. First you must remove 3 screws from the bottom (the three screws with the keyboard drawing near them). Second you must get out the keyboard, there are some sliders between ESC and F1 keys, F4 and F5, F8 and F9, F12 and Insert. These sliders can be moved down very easy. After it, keyboard can be removed, but take care with it, there is sensitive cable, take care not to broke it. Down the keyboard there are two memory slots and.... WIFI CARD !!!! Removing the wifi is easy too, remove the three connectors, the two screws and the card goes up with an 45 degree angle. To put the newer one is the same but in inverse mode.

- I didn´t do anything more, it is recognized at start like the airport, but i will make a newer install (right now i´m testing lion too).

- I was selling (it overs yesterday, no one sold :( ) four or five cards but no one of them are the Broadcomm 94322 HALF mini Pci-e . The other cards i´ve got comes from other laptops i recently have and hack. I bought some cards from Hong Kong because i usually make hackintosh to friends and other people, and it spends three of four weeks to arrive from China to Spain.

- Exact model is: Broadcom BCM 94322 HALF mini Pci-e . If you can found the one from HP i suppose it is better. The card must be HALF because the hole where it fits are only for half cards. All the cards i´m trying to sell are full cards, not half. I tried to connect them on the WWAN slot and in the WLAN slot (with the keyboard out) and no one works. On WWAN laptop starts but it isn´t recognized (included windows), on Wlan laptop gets error 140.

- The link can be founded on ebay search, but it is hard. I found that this card works because i downloaded two weeks ago a HP dissasembly manual and inside this pdf i founded the three only wifi cards compatibles with the whitelist bios on 8540w.

Really weird ... in my 8540w i5 have the WWAN mini PCI-e!

I do not have to disassemble the keyboard! I just need to loosen a screw under the cover of a notebook!

Do you have this? Ebay

Really weird ... in my 8540w i5 have the WWAN mini PCI-e!

I do not have to disassemble the keyboard! I just need to loosen a screw under the cover of a notebook!

Do you have this? Ebay

I have too the mini PCI on WWAN, but i am not talking about WWAN, i am talking about WLAN.

WWAN is other different card, it is for get wireless phone connection, gps... But the WLAN is under the keyboard and it is half mini, and...

YES! It´s the same i bought on eBay.

Now i´m waiting for a WWAN to try on mac, i bought another one on eBay, i wish i will be lucky.

Anybody has screen backlight control working? (if you disconnect the powe ac screen stills at full light).

I recommend every user to change the wifi with this broadcom, i think it is the better option to get wifi working, it´s AIRPORT

- I only connect the number one and number two, the third is not connected. These connectors are for the antenna, Intel 6300 has 3 connectors.

- Connecting the card is very easy. First you must remove 3 screws from the bottom (the three screws with the keyboard drawing near them). Second you must get out the keyboard, there are some sliders between ESC and F1 keys, F4 and F5, F8 and F9, F12 and Insert. These sliders can be moved down very easy. After it, keyboard can be removed, but take care with it, there is sensitive cable, take care not to broke it. Down the keyboard there are two memory slots and.... WIFI CARD !!!! Removing the wifi is easy too, remove the three connectors, the two screws and the card goes up with an 45 degree angle. To put the newer one is the same but in inverse mode.

- I didn´t do anything more, it is recognized at start like the airport, but i will make a newer install (right now i´m testing lion too).

- I was selling (it overs yesterday, no one sold :) ) four or five cards but no one of them are the Broadcomm 94322 HALF mini Pci-e . The other cards i´ve got comes from other laptops i recently have and hack. I bought some cards from Hong Kong because i usually make hackintosh to friends and other people, and it spends three of four weeks to arrive from China to Spain.

- Exact model is: Broadcom BCM 94322 HALF mini Pci-e . If you can found the one from HP i suppose it is better. The card must be HALF because the hole where it fits are only for half cards. All the cards i´m trying to sell are full cards, not half. I tried to connect them on the WWAN slot and in the WLAN slot (with the keyboard out) and no one works. On WWAN laptop starts but it isn´t recognized (included windows), on Wlan laptop gets error 140.

- The link can be founded on ebay search, but it is hard. I found that this card works because i downloaded two weeks ago a HP dissasembly manual and inside this pdf i founded the three only wifi cards compatibles with the whitelist bios on 8540w.

Hola Chofete,

Yo también soy español. Hablaré en inglés por educación a los demás.

There are several 94322 wifi cards. Could you please take a photo from yours in order to see what is exactly your card? Dissasembly the keyboard is a matter of 2 minutes, please.

The error 140 is only when you connect the card in thw wwan or always?

Cheers.

- I was selling (it overs yesterday, no one sold :) ) four or five cards but no one of them are the Broadcomm 94322 HALF mini Pci-e . The other cards i´ve got comes from other laptops i recently have and hack. I bought some cards from Hong Kong because i usually make hackintosh to friends and other people, and it spends three of four weeks to arrive from China to Spain.

Hola Chofete,

Yo también soy español. Hablaré en inglés por educación a los demás.

There are several 94322 wifi cards. Could you please take a photo from yours in order to see what is the model you own? I wanna make sure that I buy works. Dissasembly the keyboard is a matter of 2 minutes, please.

The error 140 is only when you connect the card in thw wwan or always?

One thing more, are you keeping the same usb3 KP from time to time or you solved it? Do you have any firewire problem in the logs after wake up (besides the keyboard)?

Thanks and greetings.

I´m going to explain how to make wifi working on this laptop with a mini tutorial with photos (ed_co ask me to do it), so here i go.

First of all is necessary to have a Broadcomm BMC 94322 a/b/g/n Half mini PCi-express wifi card. You can found it on eBay. (Photo of the card at the end).

We need to put our laptop on the bottom side to unscrew the three keyboard screws.

post-101775-1308043243_thumb.jpg

It is not necessary to unscrew to the end.

Now we put the laptop on the top side and we open it. Now we must slide the four sliders between Esc and F1 keys, F4 and F5, F8 and F9, F12 and Insert.

post-101775-1308043378_thumb.jpg

post-101775-1308043413_thumb.jpg

Now it´s time to remove the keyboard very carefully, i do it rotating it to myself.

post-101775-1308043505_thumb.jpg

After it, now we can see the Intel 6300 wifi card at the upper right side, with three wires connected. Disconnect all the wires and unscrew the card.

post-101775-1308043598_thumb.jpg

(On the photo i have the broadcom on it).

Now it´s time to replace the Intel card with our new broadcomm and follow the steps back.

post-101775-1308043690_thumb.jpg

P.D.: ed_co i tried to send you a mail but your inbox is full.

I´m going to explain how to make wifi working on this laptop with a mini tutorial with photos (ed_co ask me to do it), so here i go.

First of all is necessary to have a Broadcomm BMC 94322 a/b/g/n Half mini PCi-express wifi card. You can found it on eBay. (Photo of the card at the end).

We need to put our laptop on the bottom side to unscrew the three keyboard screws.

post-101775-1308043243_thumb.jpg

It is not necessary to unscrew to the end.

Now we put the laptop on the top side and we open it. Now we must slide the four sliders between Esc and F1 keys, F4 and F5, F8 and F9, F12 and Insert.

post-101775-1308043378_thumb.jpg

post-101775-1308043413_thumb.jpg

Now it´s time to remove the keyboard very carefully, i do it rotating it to myself.

post-101775-1308043505_thumb.jpg

After it, now we can see the Intel 6300 wifi card at the upper right side, with three wires connected. Disconnect all the wires and unscrew the card.

post-101775-1308043598_thumb.jpg

(On the photo i have the broadcom on it).

Now it´s time to replace the Intel card with our new broadcomm and follow the steps back.

post-101775-1308043690_thumb.jpg

P.D.: ed_co i tried to send you a mail but your inbox is full.

First of all thank you very much. I knew how to dissasembly it, but maybe for some people should be really useful, that is great.

You said the ebay card linked before is the same than yours. That's not true. See the conector one and two are inverted (your connector 1 is on the left, and in the ebay link is on the right). Maybe is not really important, but just in case.

Another thing that I want to ask you is, are you in the USA? I mean, your card is the 504664-001, and 001 use to be the USA version and the 002 the european version... So, I am kind of confused why is working (if you are in Spain)... is it supposed that can't.

Thanks again.

First of all thank you very much. I knew how to dissasembly it, but maybe for some people should be really useful, that is great.

You said the ebay card linked before is the same than yours. That's not true. See the conector one and two are inverted (your connector 1 is on the left, and in the ebay link is on the right). Maybe is not really important, but just in case.

Another thing that I want to ask you is, are you in the USA? I mean, your card is the 504664-001, and 001 use to be the USA version and the 002 the european version... So, I am kind of confused why is working... is it supposed that can't.

Thanks again.

I´m on Spain, on Madrid.

I bought the laptop on eBay to a USA seller. I don´t know if it matters, but may be you are right.

What i know is that it works well with all networks here on Spain and its recognized by my laptop.

Right now i have received a Qualcomm WWAN and i´m trying it now, on Windows 7 it works but on Snow Leopard i can see it on About this Mac, i need to test it more to see if it works at the end (i suppose that it will not).

EDIT:

I have tried your config, i have needed to erase voodoohda from S/L/E. At first boot i saw a difference, you have orange icons (external hard drives), i mean that i have connected a external sata and it has orange icons. The solution is IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext.

Other thing more is the nVidia fx 880, but i realized that the problem is not in Extra, it is on the boot file. I install latest chimera (new chameleon mixed), and now it is full recognized.

I think this config is best than the other i was using. Battery well recognized.

I just only miss the screen brightness control. I was looking but no lucky, i saw utilities to control brightness but it was a fake solution (like putting black transparent over the image).

On your config i saw mouse (touchpad) works a little better (not too speedy).

Audio works, but last night i play a youtube video with system audio muted and the video sounds. It was strange, so i will try later if it is doing it always.

Hello mates!

I need some help, i´m trying to make screen brightness control work.

I found this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220057

I want to tryit but i edit dsdt.aml from ed_co with DSDTSE, i write the code, but when i try to compile it return to me 1 error. I try to compile without writting it and i still have 1 error (the same), so i can´t compile it.

Can anybody compile for me my dsdt.aml (ed_co´s dsdt aml with the change).

dsdt.zip

AND.......

HAVE YOU TRY TO PUSH FN KEY + INSERT KEY ?

HAVE YOU TRY TO PUSH FN KEY + PG UP KEY ?

If you open Screen Prefs there is a Brightness bar under Resolutions Screen. But if you try to change it it´s locked to the max.

I think that if we can fix it via dsdt we are close to the perfect laptop for hackintosh.

Come on!!!!

Thanks.

Hello mates!

I need some help, i´m trying to make screen brightness control work.

I found this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220057

I want to tryit but i edit dsdt.aml from ed_co with DSDTSE, i write the code, but when i try to compile it return to me 1 error. I try to compile without writting it and i still have 1 error (the same), so i can´t compile it.

Can anybody compile for me my dsdt.aml (ed_co´s dsdt aml with the change).

dsdt.zip

AND.......

HAVE YOU TRY TO PUSH FN KEY + INSERT KEY ?

HAVE YOU TRY TO PUSH FN KEY + PG UP KEY ?

If you open Screen Prefs there is a Brightness bar under Resolutions Screen. But if you try to change it it´s locked to the max.

I think that if we can fix it via dsdt we are close to the perfect laptop for hackintosh.

Come on!!!!

Thanks.

Here ya go. Enjoy.

PS Please note: I fixed your error and compiled. I did NOT review your changes.

dsdt.zip

I would very much like to contribute to this endeavor.

I also have an HP 8540w with nvidia QUADRO 880 and a core i5, 4 gig ram and the full HD screen. Not sure if it is the IPS panel.

I installed osx on my I7 860 with nvidia GTX 295 with dual GPU. got most of it working except standby OSX just freezes. However I never did the advanced stuff like patching my own DSDT I used one from tonymac's dsdt database specificaly for my mboard.

If anyone has got some links for up2date guides on how to create and patch the dsdt files from linux I would realy appreciate it. I found so much on the forums and much of it is plain {censored} so it would be great if someone of the more experienced guys in here to push me to some good guides.

PS

I am installing snow leopard using the same method I used for my desktop using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0 however usb does not work and I need to install using only keyboard.

Hope this turn out well.

Ok after a lot of reading.

I have now a USB drive with snow leopard install dvd and then I installen chameleon rc5 747 using the pkg installer on the usb drive.

I then created dsdt.aml file using acpidump in linux and copied that file to the extra folder " uploaded here in a post on page 2 it has the voodoops2 drivers"

However I did not do any patches on the dsdt file simply because I have no idea what to patch for my core i5 so I used the dsdt.aml file generated by acpidump.

I can boot from the usb drive but my laptop always reboots during the booting of the installer

I will try to see at which point it reboots.

I tried in safe mode but that does not help either

Can some good soul please help me

Thanks in advance

I have now a USB drive with snow leopard install dvd and then I installen chameleon rc5 747 using the pkg installer on the usb drive.

I then created dsdt.aml file using acpidump in linux and copied that file to the extra folder " uploaded here in a post on page 2 it has the voodoops2 drivers"

However I did not do any patches on the dsdt file simply because I have no idea what to patch for my core i5 so I used the dsdt.aml file generated by acpidump.

I can boot from the usb drive but my laptop always reboots during the booting of the installer

Thanks in advance

It seems that it reboots when he starts to load the darwin kernel x64

Thanks in advance

It seems that it reboots when he starts to load the darwin kernel x64

OK

I got it all working using the dsdt on the first post.

what is working

video 3D using tonymac's nvidia update

battery

sound

volume controls

LAN

DVD

the same as everybody here but I can not get the touchpad to work.

I tried voodoops2touchpad but it fails

Do I need to create my own dsdt file ?

OK

I got it all working using the dsdt on the first post.

what is working

video 3D using tonymac's nvidia update

battery

sound

volume controls

LAN

DVD

the same as everybody here but I can not get the touchpad to work.

I tried voodoops2touchpad but it fails

Do I need to create my own dsdt file ?

Quick and dirty fix: If you want to use voodoops2 kext than open it up and you will see three kexts inside. Delete the touchpad kext. It identifies our touchpad wrong anyway and by deleting you will forse the mouse driver to load instead. Re-create cash and reboot.

Quick and dirty fix: If you want to use voodoops2 kext than open it up and you will see three kexts inside. Delete the touchpad kext. It identifies our touchpad wrong anyway and by deleting you will forse the mouse driver to load instead. Re-create cash and reboot.

Thanks for the tip. It worked

I had a feeling it was doing something wrong when in recognized the synaptic as ALPS :-)

Another question.

I am pretty satisfied with the setup now but shutdown does not work :-(

So I made a backup with carbon copy and I want to edit my own dsdt file since yours is from a core i7 and I have a corei5. ?

Do you have a list of the patches you did besides the obvious cmos rst patch

Thanks man :-)

I had a feeling it was doing something wrong when in recognized the synaptic as ALPS :-)

Another question.

So I made a backup with carbon copy and I want to edit my own dsdt file since yours is from a core i7 and I have a corei5. ?

Anyway should someone have some time to do the fixes to my dsdt file here is my original file

dsdt_orig.dsl.zip

dsdt_orig.dsl.zip

Another question.

Take any one from atachements, all major fixes should be listed in the dsl file name.

Take any one from atachements, all major fixes should be listed in the dsl file name.

Ok thanks did the patches compiled the file and I am using it now. But shutdown is still not working and sometimes my cmos gets corrupted.

I saw a dsdt fix for that can someone confirm ?

Ok thanks did the patches compiled the file and I am using it now. But shutdown is still not working and sometimes my cmos gets corrupted.

I saw a dsdt fix for that can someone confirm ?

I always have to do ForceWake=y