CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP EliteBook 8540w
Motherboard Chipset Intel Ibex Peak-M QM57, Intel Lynnfield
Video Adapter NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M (1024 MB)
Audio Adapter IDT 92HD75B3 @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
DMI BIOS Vendor Hewlett-Packard
DMI BIOS Version 68CVD Ver. F.0E
- Almost vanilla SL 10.6.7. E/E has only AppleAspiPS2nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, FakeSMC.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. I do have VoodoHDA.kext in S/L/E and deleted AppleHDA.kext. It is a simple edit to dsdt to disable HDEF and than no need to delete AppleHDA but my preference is to get rid of VoodooHDA altogether if possible
- Sound (speaker and mic)
- Speedstep with Native Power Management and turbo
- Touchpad (with side sliding) and keyboard
- USB3 (on the right sight) and USB2 ports (on the left side)
- Fully accelerated graphics on internal display only (internal/external monitor - this is an interesting topic but more about this later)
Does not work:
- Brightness slider (I've seen dsdt patch for this but I did not try it yet)
- Sleep (I tried it once, laptop went to sleep but mouse was gone after wake up). Couple things to try here IMHO; 1. get rid of Voodoo sound drivers 2. If removing Voodoo is not enough to fix sleep than I recall there is a couple of DSDT changes we can try.
- Battery power - I tried VoodooBattery kext but still can't get battery info to show. It is only cosmetic but annoying
- Wireless - intel chipset, eBay is the only option to fix I am aware off
Notes and to do:
- You will find my dsdt.aml as well as dsl version (file name dsdt-peg-dtgp-rtcmem-lpcb-hpet-pic-tmr.dsl in /Extra - as I am sure you've guessed already name has dsdt changes I did listed) in the attached files. I am not going to write dsdt edit guide here as this is already being done number of times and extremely well by others on this and other boards.
-Smbios.plist - I used MacBookPro6,1 but I think the closer model to use is MacBookPro8,2 or 8,3 (listed on everymac) but it is not available in my /S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/. Got to find out why/where to get it. Even better way would be is to create our own MAC model matching our HW.
-Internal display is top notch and looks fantastic but external ports do not work. If you take a look at your original aspi-dsdt dump you will see PEG3 device is using the same memory address 0x00030000 as a PEGP device. I don't think this is right and believe it is a bug in the BIOS. I think we'll have to play with dsdt and modify PEG3 section to get external video ports to work. I did try to generate EFI string to test and it did not fix anything. When I've got time I'll try to nvflash/nvram and play with values and/or see what I can do with memory conflicting address space in DSDT.
Use whatever method you like (Windows, Linux …) to dump ASPI tables (DSDT, SSDT). You are welcome to use my dsdt and ssdt (attached) if you have similar hardware.
1. I installed SL using retail DVD and my MAC to ext USB Hard Drive. I used Chameleon RC5 747 boot-loader.
2. Applied combo update 10.6.6
3. Installed nvidia drivers (I used "tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update" package)
4. You can drop NullCPUPower in E/E in addition to kexts mentioned above/attached just in case for the first boot or copy my entire /Extra with dsdt, ssdt, and E/E attached.
5. Install VoodooHDA (attached) or use ##### if you prefer.
6. Fix permissions and clear/generate cash or use what ever utility you like to do it.
That is it. You should have working and pretty decent MAC almost vanilla and with fully working native power management and turbos. As MAC laptops goes I think this HP is one of really sweet options for hackintosh . Enjoy low temps and better performance!