• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I also learned that the optimus in our laptops makes it almost impossible to get native resolution for video.

Does anyone feel different?

Hotcakes, I will try to re-install 10.6.0 and try to get those files.

Edit: BTW, installing the usb3 kext using ##### makes the usb ports work.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Apparently this approach works for nvidia optimus with 420m graphics card

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=247609

I have a 525m. There must be a way to get it working too.

I tried tonymac's nvidia driver. It did not seem to do anything. How can one tell which kexts are being used for graphics?

SteveRings

SteveRings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

My biggest issue with the l702x are the boot loaders, I cant seem to get osx to boot up with out the boot cd.
I tried resetting the partition to be active and even did a manual install with Chameleon 2 RC5 760 and the package installer. Also tried to use tonymac's #####.

Has anyone have any luck getting it to boot with out the cd? Is it something in our Bios?

I have a partial fix for you, maybe; I'll describe what I am doing. I will be calling Dell this week because this is a BIOS issue for L702x (and maybe all Sandy Bridge? laptops). This is to me unacceptable and they'll be getting this one back if they don't address it.

I left my Windows 7 Home Premium installation in the first bay. Partition the second drive as a GPT drive and leave space for MAC OS X, and UBUNTU 11.04 Desktop 64-bit; I used a 40Gig Linux partition and 10 Gig SWAP. Install the UBUNTU LAST (after MAC OS X and #####) and put GRUB (we are using this version because we want GRUB 2) on the WINDOWS device so it becomes your boot loader. You will end up with two Windows boot options (only one works) and two Mac boot options (neither will work). Boot into UBUNTU and edit the Grub using "sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg" (I assume you know something about terminal commands). The nano editor is not necessary but it is the one I used. Toward the bottom of the file will be a section containing the Windows and Mac boot options; remove the lines dealing with the non-working Windows boot and replace all MAC lines with the following:

menuentry "Mac OS X Snow Leopard" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd1,2)'
chainloader (hd1,4)/boot/chameleon/boot0
}

This will get you into the Chameleon Bootloader AFTER one more change. Save (twice, the second time append .bak to the name) the grub.cfg file and type "sudo mkdir /boot/chameleon" and then copy the boot0 Chameleon file into that directory; you'll note that we referenced that file in the Grub changes ... if you want, the link below (jeffhoogland) allows you to copy his boot0 instead, you must put sudo in front of whatever command you use as the /boot is protected ...

If your hard-drive setup is different than mine the (hd1,2 /dev/sdb etc.) references will need tweaking; you can use the boot time editor to play with the configuration until it gets you where you need to go ... good luck, although I can get into Chameleon and start the boot process, I haven't actually managed to boot from the hard-drive yet as I messed around so much that I am right now reinstalling so I can clean-out the droppings from all my failed attempts.

I used this guide as my base although you'll note I did some things differently; however, Jeff deserves the credit so here's the link: http://jeffhoogland....-chameleon.html (you should visit, it will help).

Steve

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Steverings,

Thanks for this info. I am trying this right now. I have a l502x and i am trying to install windows,osx and ubuntu to the same disk. Report back on how it goes.

wen1

I have a partial fix for you, maybe; I'll describe what I am doing. I will be calling Dell this week because this is a BIOS issue for L702x (and maybe all Sandy Bridge? laptops). This is to me unacceptable and they'll be getting this one back if they don't address it.

I left my Windows 7 Home Premium installation in the first bay. Partition the second drive as a GPT drive and leave space for MAC OS X, and UBUNTU 11.04 Desktop 64-bit; I used a 40Gig Linux partition and 10 Gig SWAP. Install the UBUNTU LAST (after MAC OS X and #####) and put GRUB (we are using this version because we want GRUB 2) on the WINDOWS device so it becomes your boot loader. You will end up with two Windows boot options (only one works) and two Mac boot options (neither will work). Boot into UBUNTU and edit the Grub using "sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg" (I assume you know something about terminal commands). The nano editor is not necessary but it is the one I used. Toward the bottom of the file will be a section containing the Windows and Mac boot options; remove the lines dealing with the non-working Windows boot and replace all MAC lines with the following:

menuentry "Mac OS X Snow Leopard" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd1,2)'
chainloader (hd1,4)/boot/chameleon/boot0
}

This will get you into the Chameleon Bootloader AFTER one more change. Save (twice, the second time append .bak to the name) the grub.cfg file and type "sudo mkdir /boot/chameleon" and then copy the boot0 Chameleon file into that directory; you'll note that we referenced that file in the Grub changes ... if you want, the link below (jeffhoogland) allows you to copy his boot0 instead, you must put sudo in front of whatever command you use as the /boot is protected ...

If your hard-drive setup is different than mine the (hd1,2 /dev/sdb etc.) references will need tweaking; you can use the boot time editor to play with the configuration until it gets you where you need to go ... good luck, although I can get into Chameleon and start the boot process, I haven't actually managed to boot from the hard-drive yet as I messed around so much that I am right now reinstalling so I can clean-out the droppings from all my failed attempts.

I used this guide as my base although you'll note I did some things differently; however, Jeff deserves the credit so here's the link: http://jeffhoogland....-chameleon.html (you should visit, it will help).

Steve

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Its my understanding that the Intel hd graphics 3000 video card is build into the i series processors. apple mac books also use this same processor and should have the same drivers for it. the only difference is the auxiliary processor that each brand is using. apple went with ati and dell with nvidia. so correct me if I'm wrong but i believe we should at least be able to get the intel hd graphics working under mac.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
HOTCakes,

I have the same impression.

And it is quite possible to not being able to use the bootloader from the hard drive is preventing the driver from loading. That is why i am trying to get the bootloader working first.

I have not been able to find the thread that was about hd 3000. I thought there was dedicated thread for this graphics.

Its my understanding that the Intel hd graphics 3000 video card is build into the i series processors. apple mac books also use this same processor and should have the same drivers for it. the only difference is the auxiliary processor that each brand is using. apple went with ati and dell with nvidia. so correct me if I'm wrong but i believe we should at least be able to get the intel hd graphics working under mac.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Unsuccessful in booting so far. So far it appears like L502x cannot boot from GPT disks.

I guess it is the same issue with L702x, but that laptop has two drive slots. So you could technically put a MBR disk in the first slot and use GUID in the second.

http://en.community....9/19876063.aspx

Unsuccessful in booting so far. So far it appears like L502x cannot boot from GPT disks.

Is it the same steve that posted this issue on dell forums?

I wonder if dell will ever release a bios fix for this?

I will be trying a second hdd in the optical bay in a few minutes.

SteveRings

SteveRings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I guess it is the same issue with L702x, but that laptop has two drive slots. So you could technically put a MBR disk in the first slot and use GUID in the second.

http://en.community....9/19876063.aspx

It is - I posted in the hardware forum also but Dell is being quiet; no response there to date.

Is it the same steve that posted this issue on dell forums?

I wonder if dell will ever release a bios fix for this?

I will be trying a second hdd in the optical bay in a few minutes.

HOTCakes,

I have the same impression.

And it is quite possible to not being able to use the bootloader from the hard drive is preventing the driver from loading. That is why i am trying to get the bootloader working first.

I have not been able to find the thread that was about hd 3000. I thought there was dedicated thread for this graphics.

This will depend on your L?02x ... the 3D laptops have the NVIDIA hardwired for video and the Intel HD 3000 turned off so NVIDIA only for them. I had the 1920x1080x32 display working on my L702x but no QE/CL which may require booting from the harddrive which I cannot do as of yet. I had the NVIDIA on my L701x working with QE/CL as a result of a DSDT fix. I have not yet been able to patch the DSDT of the L702x.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ok, Here is a thought.

What if we modded the Retail 10.6.3 DVD to allow installation on an MBR disk? This should allow us to install directly on another partition on the MBR hard drive.

http://deviato.wordp...ned-hard-disks/

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Installing right now on a MBR partitioned disk.

I patched the retail dvd with the following

1. Modded the OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg to allow installation on a MBR disk

2. Add the PXHCD.Kext to enable USB 3.0 support during installation. This issue was preventing installation from a USB.

I copied the contents to a USB stick.

Booted with ##### legacy, selected the new USB disk and supplied standard boot flags "-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20"

Still has 17 minutes to go with the install. The hope here is that this will enable booting from the disk which will then enable messing with kernel, bootflags etc.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Alright I give up.

I did successfully install SL to a MBR disk and was able to also install chameleon bootloader. But the system does not boot when booting via Chameleon installed on the hard drive. It goes through the first few steps to "Starting Darwin x86" and then goes to a black screen (blank screen).

No kernel panics or errors are displayed.

It boots fine when booting from the ##### legacy CD. Not sure what is missing

Even tried to create a custom DSDT. I will try to attach it here.

We need an expert's help in deciphering this. It might be related to video.

Have no clue what PCIRootUID controls. I wonder if there is a way to force intel HD graphics.

SteveRings

SteveRings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Alright I give up.

I did successfully install SL to a MBR disk and was able to also install chameleon bootloader. But the system does not boot when booting via Chameleon installed on the hard drive. It goes through the first few steps to "Starting Darwin x86" and then goes to a black screen (blank screen).

No kernel panics or errors are displayed.

It boots fine when booting from the ##### legacy CD. Not sure what is missing

Even tried to create a custom DSDT. I will try to attach it here.

We need an expert's help in deciphering this. It might be related to video.

Have no clue what PCIRootUID controls. I wonder if there is a way to force intel HD graphics.

Try pulling the mach_kernel from the ##### CD onto your harddrive; be sure to fix permissions. I gave up before I tried that.

I had the same issues; when booting from the hard drive, I could not get past the initial load of kexts; no messages just a black screen. I tried removing and moving kexts, I tried building a DSDT but it wouldn't boot at all with that; if I boot from the CD and simply added the DSDT to the boot parms, it won't boot. My DSDT is nothing more than the DSDT supposedly already present just recompiled; no go.

I would live with this, after all we are close to the bleeding edge here, if it would attempt to boot from a GPT formatted drive. That fact that it will not is an indication, I believe, of the actual problem. I think Dell has married this whole laptop series to Windows 7; a mirror of NVIDIA Optimus technology on a grand scale. Since these motherboards are all one-piece technology these days, it is either going to work or fail.

It appears to me the DELL L?02x series is a fail; at least for me. I'm giving up on this one.

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Honestly I dont think you should give up yet, sound almost works, just waiting on those kexts, it looks like video has a chance, might just need to change some values in the nvidia kexts, wifi might never come but you could always get the dell mini card or a compatible usb adaptor. i think thats all that doesn't work so if that worst case scenario is that u have to keep the ##### disk in to boot i wouldn't be too upset.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I will try the mach_kernel tonight. I have read about it but have not tried. I am thinking that booting the hard drive will open up a lots of possibilities.

I have seen posts here where folks have gotten laptops with optimus working with native resolution. Which is all i care about at this point.

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
mach_kernel did do the trick. I extracted it from the ##### legacy (preboot.dmg) and installed in the root of the drive.

Hard drive boot now works. I could not fix video resolution.

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
That is awesome wen, we are making progress

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I put all the details of what i did so far in this other thread. I wont be putting too much time researching it due to time contraints with work and family. But i am hoping that someone might be able to take it to the next steps of fixing some of those issues.

http://www.insanelym...=0#entry1689322

sybexs

sybexs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Glad to see the advice i gave in the l701x thread paid off for you.

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Wen, have u tried the applehda.kext and ioaudiofamily.kext from 10.6.0 yet?

wen1

wen1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
sybexs,

Yes MBR is the way to go for these machines. We could use your help for video.

Does your L702X have optimus?

If so, how did you get it working. Can you shed some light on that?

Glad to see the advice i gave in the l701x thread paid off for you.

I reinstalled 10.6.0 and the audio problem existed there too. So i do not know how i got good sound once.

I have not tried any other driver yet.

Wen, have u tried the applehda.kext and ioaudiofamily.kext from 10.6.0 yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy