Snow Leopard 10.6.7 issues

Ed24135

65 posts in this topic

OK so i tried my best at DSDT patching, but I don't think I did it right. After applying the indicated patches and rebooting, nothing changed. I don't think the DSDT Processor scope is modified, but as I am inexperienced with DSDT patching, I can't be sure.

I extracted the mach_kernel out of the 10.6.7 Combo Update and rebooted just fine, so i think I'm now running the vanilla kernel. (It's supposed to show up in system profiler as Darwin 10.3.0 right?) But, I don't think that IntelCPUPM, LPC, or HPET kexts are loading. (Their not showing up in IORegistyExplorer.)

I also don't have a smbios.plist in extra, but system profiler identifies it as MacPro3,1 which is on the list of working model identifiers.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I did a little experimenting by moving the extensions folder in extra to a new folder and rebooted to see what would happen, and nothing did. It's still working the same as before.

So to my point, sleep still doesn't work and i don't have any volume control yet. I'm kinda stumped on what I should do next.

@clpws00

For the update, I just used the Software Update Combo Update and it worked just fine. For the graphics, does it look like this?post-766573-1306023255_thumb.jpg

If so, then it can't be helped. When I boot in safe mode or change resolutions, my card does the same thing. It's annoying, but unfortunately, I think is a problem with the card. Sorry.

Also, do you have volume control, or is it stuck at one level(can't be changed)?

Vanilla Kernel for 10.6.7 is "Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37"

If you have an "Extensions.mkext" in the Extra folder, then removing the extension folder will not have any effect.

For DSDT advice, why not ask in the DSDT section.

I have a Galaxy Geforce 8400GS 512Mb PCIE card. I found with Chameleon Injection that i got a blue screen on resolution change or rotation, I use "NVEnabler 64.kext" and I had to add the card ID to the "info.plist" of "NVDANV50Hal.kext". If this method is used make sure that com.apple.Boot.plist is

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

An personally I never bother with sleep on a desktop system. Only a laptop running on battery.

I deleted the mkext file and it didn't boot. Learn something new every day. Anyway, do you know how I can get and install the 10.6.7 vanilla kernel? It'd definitely be helpful.

Also, I noticed while booting in verbose mode that it says the IntelCPUPM kext is blacklisted(for obvious reasons i assume), so is there a way to fix that as well?

I use sleep a lot on my desktop so I can quickly resume working the next day. It's always faster than shutting down and booting later. But that's just me.

Re-running 10.6.7 combo update would do it, as would extracting it from the update as you have done.

Of course you must have in the com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

or typing mach_kernel at the Chameleon boot prompt

That message about a blacklisted kext makes me think you are booting from a patched kernel

I've just checked and no master volume control - although I can change volume within applications e.g. itunes etc. All the volume control in system preferences does is mute if turned down fully.

Also no sound in garageband. I will be trying this via an external usb soundcard later though.

Regarding the display - yes similar to that - but it makes the machine unusable no? I'm sure initially it was working on VGA only, I'm thinking of re-installing just to check that.

I've checked and QE/CI is clearly not enabled. Just to clarify for anyone else - this i a PCI card - not a PCI-E. The Dell has only PCI slots.

USB working fine though.

I went to check my boot plist and discovered it has changed. It is now this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like that, so what should i put in there to make it default? Or is it fine?

I'll run the update again and see what happens.

EDIT: I ran the update again, reinstalled USB and Wireless kexts, and it is still the same kernel. It's says right there in the boot plist that it boots off of mach_kernel so I don't know what it's booting off of. Any advice?

@clpws00

Audio- Are you using the latest AC97 kext and have you checked that your ID is included?. If that does not work why not try VoodooHDA kext, remove AC97 & AppleHDA kexts and rebuild kext cache & permissions (Kext Wizard is good)

Video - Not sure if there is any difference between the PCI & PCI-E cards. Have you thought of upgrading to 10.6.7 to get the latest drivers (kexts)? Or have you tried installing the Graphics Update?

@Ed24135 You only have one com.apple.Boot.plist in L/P/SC if I remember. Is that right? Type "uname -a" in terminal and post the results please.

I checked the folder and discovered that spotlight search found the wrong one. Oops!

Anyway here are the results:

Darwin Devins-Dell-Dimension-3000.local 10.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0: Sun Apr 4 19:13:55 EDT 2010; annappirtrvh v3 :xnu-1504.3.12/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Obviously the wrong kernel, so i'll change the plist and see what happens.

EDIT:Got it to load vanilla kernel and got Unsupported CPU kernel panic. Time for some more patching and searching.

Hold on a second, I tried your install guide's Vanilla kernel boot file and It worked!

Is this the right kernel?

Darwin Devins-Dell-Dimension-3000.local 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Alright!

Now I just need to figure out how to get sleep and volume control to work. I tried sleeping but it restarted. Will try removing NullCPUPM and seeing what happens.

EDIT: As i thought, Unsupported CPU. I need a way to get IntelCPUPM to load on a P4, maybe DSDT patching?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is needed for the patched boot file to work. Unfortunately the Author of the boot file has not released the sources, so no idea why.

If you just want the display to sleep and not the rest of the computer, set a hot corner in screensaver preferences. Not a solution, but it is what I use.

Did you read what I wrote above to "clpws00" about audio. If the Audio ID does not show in "System Profiler" rum "System Info App" and check that it is included in the info.plist of the AC97 kext.I added the ID for the GX520-620 to the updated kext in the guide, but the ID for the Dimension 3000 may be different.

I checked again and it's identified as ICH5 ID:24d5 8086. Does this mean it's identified correctly, or if not, what ID do i replace it with?

This is my audio from the Documentation: AC97, Sound Blaster Emulation, ADI 1980 audio controller with 2.1 implementation

EDIT: I think I found the correct ID (AC'97 Audio Controller CardVendor 0x1028 card 0x019d) will try editing it and seeing what happens

Another EDIT: Tried it and no longer have audio. I don't think i did it right.

That ID is already in the plugin info plist

<key>ICH5 AC97 Audio</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>
		<key>ICH Type</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x24d58086</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>10000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

Sorry no other suggestions apart from keep searching OR try VoodooHDA

Are you still using the 8400GS, if so does it also show as an audio device in "System Info App" Mine does_

"10de;nVidia Corporation;0be3;High Definition Audio Controller;Multimedia controller;Audio device"

OK, thanks. I'll try VoodooHDA and see what happens.

My Geforce is identified as a display controller.

EDIT: Tried VoodooHDA and it didn't work. Guess I won't be using headphones on here.

Another EDIT: Is there a certain configuration i can use to get all the channels to change volume all together? I got it to work under Leopard. The sound comes out of channels 3 and 6 but their volumes change with channels 4 and 5 respectively.

What I meant was that if the Nvidia card was being also being identified as an Audio device, it could interfere with the on board audio like this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1511103

Output of "System Info App" for optiplex 755 with 8400GS VGA/DVI (no HDMI). As you can see it Identifies the card as both a video & audio device. Just wondered if it was relevant to your problems.

post-530376-1306117570_thumb.png

@clpws00

Audio- Are you using the latest AC97 kext and have you checked that your ID is included?. If that does not work why not try VoodooHDA kext, remove AC97 & AppleHDA kexts and rebuild kext cache & permissions (Kext Wizard is good)

Video - Not sure if there is any difference between the PCI & PCI-E cards. Have you thought of upgrading to 10.6.7 to get the latest drivers (kexts)? Or have you tried installing the Graphics Update?

@Ed24135 You only have one com.apple.Boot.plist in L/P/SC if I remember. Is that right? Type "uname -a" in terminal and post the results please.

Thanks for this - I'm going to work through the upgrade to 10.6.7 and also install the graphics update.

In terms of the AC97 kext I tried the latest one initially but that didn't work at all so I then installed the original as that works without the master volume - but not an issue to me as I can adjust the volume within the application.

To clarify on the upgrade to 10.6.7 - my intention is to :-

1) Back up any kexts I have installed so far - for ethernet and sound

2) use use the combo update to 10.6.6 then before re-booting

3) Install the legacy kernal for 10.6.6

4) Put above kexts back

5) Reboot and check functionality

6) Install graphics update and re-boot/check-

7) Install 10.6.7 update, install legacy kernal for 10.6.7, replace above kexts, re-boot and re-check - report back if display problem is fixed.

8) Try applying the vanilla kernal

Your kernel isn't mach_kernel with iATKOS S3 V2 i don't think (mine was called custom) so heres what you should do.

1. Back up USB, Wireless, and any other custom kexts in S/L/E and the kernels (mach & custom)

2. Use the 10.6.7 combo update from software update

3. Reboot and reinstall USB and wireless kexts (my wireless and USB did not work after the update)

4. Reboot and apply the 10.6.7 legacy kernel.

OR

4. Reboot and try to use the vanilla kernel.

I did it this way and it worked like a charm. It should work for you since we have identical systems (beside wireless card)

Your kernel isn't mach_kernel with iATKOS S3 V2 i don't think (mine was called custom) so heres what you should do.

1. Back up USB, Wireless, and any other custom kexts in S/L/E and the kernels (mach & custom)

2. Use the 10.6.7 combo update from software update

3. Reboot and reinstall USB and wireless kexts (my wireless and USB did not work after the update)

4. Reboot and apply the 10.6.7 legacy kernel.

OR

4. Reboot and try to use the vanilla kernel.

I did it this way and it worked like a charm. It should work for you since we have identical systems (beside wireless card)

OK now I'm confused. I installed the 10.6.7.update. I already had the sound and network kexts saved.I didn't save the kernels as I hadn't seen that on any other instructions. I then installed the legacy kernel before re-booting, then rebooted. When it came up I had the same display problems. However sound worked as before and so did ethernet and usb. About this mac crashes and immediately restarts as I presume yours did. However I now have the App store - so I presumed it had worked .But when I try to install the Graphics update it tells me that it can't install it because I'm not on 10.6.4. Was this update included in later packages? If so it's now installed by default but it's made no difference to the display. Still no quartz extreme or sound in garageband.

Garageband I may be able to fix by using an external soundcard. If the QE/CI and display issues were fixed it would be perfect. Will try the vanilla kernel next.

Thinking about it, whether I have legacy or vanilla kernel - that's not going to make much difference to the graphics performance is it?

The card is a PCI card - so I know the limitations compared to a PCI-E card. I also know that OSX is not Windows but this card works very well in Windows 7 transforming an old P4 machine into something quite usable - and I'm sure that when first installed I had none of the display problems that suddenly occurred after trying it with the DVI cable.

That's for all the help so far - any more suggestions?

I'm not sure what graphics update your talking about, but try this for your graphics...

1. Open up your iATKOS CD

2. Hit Command-Shift-G and type in System/Installation/Packages/vga, then hit Enter

3. Find the Packages you installed originally and reinstall them. (most likely in the nvidia and efistrings folders)

4. Reboot and see what happens.

5. If it fails, install all the nvidia packages. (may not work)

I'm not sure it will work, but give it a shot.