Help Please! Low resolution with EVGA 9500 GT

j12395

28 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I recently built my first hackintosh and everything went smoothly up until I saw the resolution stuck at 1024x768 with no other options. I've tried running tonymac's Nvidia update, but I have yet to make any progress. Im using an EVGA 9500 GT graphics card.If anyone could please help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

The second sticky post by Oldnapalm is very well written and detailed. It has pictures!

And if you read a little more of the rest of the thread you can even learn from other people's mistakes what not to do.

I can't just conjure up a personal guide for you out of nowhere, I am not familiar with your level of knowledge.

I (or someone else) can help you if you ask specific questions about the parts that you don't understand.

Awesome! Thanks, if I do happen to have some question(which I will :() I'll ask.

Ok so the post says, "In Lizard preferences, configure the Extra folder Path. Select the Extra folder in the partition where you installed Chameleon."

I have no clue how to get in to Lizards's preferences. I have also tried to intall Chameleon, but when I try to it says,"Failed".

I still don't see any specific questions..

First of all, don't be scared to click on things and explore OS X yourself. You can not break your installation or your computer by opening folders and looking at the content. A little curiosity goes a long way.

If you're looking for something in particular, click on the little magnifying glass next to the clock in the top right corner and start typing. For example, if you were looking for the Lizard preference pane, you would type "Lizard" there.

Once Lizard is installed (you have to download it and install it, follow the link given in Oldnapalm's post) its preference panel is in the same place as all your other preference panels, under "System Preferences".

But there is no point in running Lizard if you don't have Chameleon 2.0 RC5 installed.

Maybe I can help you with that.

Unplug any external drives, eject flash drives and optical media. The run Terminal, type diskutil list and post the output here.

This was the output:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.5 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 1.5 TB disk0s2

Hackintoshs-MacBook-Pro:~ Hackintosh$

Im still using the boot CD to boot up my Hackintosh. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] at first, but then my sound wouldn't work and my resolution was fine. I formatted my hard drive and instead used Andyboot. Got my sound working, but the resolution was messed up and now its stuck at 1024x768. I used a retail DvD of 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.7 with the combo update.

This is the error I get when I try to boot directly from my hard drive:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: test

boot0: error

It means Chameleon is there but something is wrong with the installation.

You said:

"I have also tried to intall Chameleon, but when I try to it says,"Failed"."

How did you do that, did you use some kind of installer? From where? Post a link please.

I need to know what CPU and motherboard chipset is in your PC. Is it a laptop or a desktop computer?

Here is where I downloaded Chameleon: ttp://chameleon.osx86.hu/static/some-words-about-donation?ref=file_download/38/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-src.tar.gz

Im using a Asus P8P67 Pro and an Intel i7 2600k CPU. This is a desktop.

Here is where I downloaded Chameleon: ttp://chameleon.osx86.hu/static/some-words-about-donation?ref=file_download/38/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-src.tar.gz

That's a link to Chameleon source code, not the binary, and it's an old version from September 2009.

Did you compile it yourself?

I need to know how you installed it, or attempted to install it, so we don't make things worse when we try to fix your mistake.

Im using a Asus P8P67 Pro and an Intel i7 2600k CPU. This is a desktop.

That's funny, your boot CD has it configured as a laptop:

It's probably a boot CD designed for laptops.

I think I was just searching on these forums for the installer and I found it. Simply opened the installer and followed the directions. It failed a couple times and I decided to post on the forums.

Lol well don't I just fail. Could you link me where to download the boot loader for a desktop please?

Then what installer was it.. link please.

As I said:

I need to know how you installed it, or attempted to install it, so we don't make things worse when we try to fix your mistake.

It's like this: If you don't do what I ask, I can't help you.

I'm not going to give you a link to a bootloader for desktops, we're going to install the latest version of Chameleon to your hard drive and I will compile the latest version from source code for you, attach it here and show you how to install it.

If that's not what you want, let me know.

To be honest Im not quite sure. I believe it was http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=1441

The way I installed it is just by simply opening the installer and running it. I dont think it can be more specific than that. I was reading on the forums a way of installing Chameleon manually, but I just was unable to comprehend what they were saying. Im trying my best to do as you say. I really am. Just have patience with me if my brain isn't up to par with you.

Right let's get it on. It isn't difficult, just make sure you type each command exactly as below.

Keep your boot CD handy, you will need it until your Chameleon installation is working right.

Download this and extract it to your desktop.

Chameleon_2.0r750.zip (clean compile from latest svn trunk, pulled tonight)

You should now have a folder named i386 on your desktop..

Run Terminal

Now type..

cd ~/desktop/i386

..to navigate to that folder

type diskutil list and triple check that your EFI partition is disk0s1 and that you're going to work on disk0 - if not, modify the following commands accordingly.

type sudo -s (and enter your password, yes, it's invisible)

Initialize the EFI partition:

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

Create a mountpoint and mount the EFI partition:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Install boot0 to the MBR:

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Then, copy the file ‘boot’ to the root of the EFI partition:

cp boot /Volumes/EFI

Let's flag your EFI partition as active just to be sure. Type each command (writing in bold) followed by enter.

1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

(Ignore any “fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory” error)

2) f 1

3) w

4) q

In order to prevent the File System Events Daemon (fseventsd) from logging on the EFI partition, which can cause it to become unmountable, type:

touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

Install the bdmesg tool to see diagnostic messages from Chameleon in Terminal:

cp bdmesg /usr/bin

Congratulations, the Chameleon bootloader is now installed to your EFI partition.

Now - preliminary configuration (I need more information about your hardware to improve it) - download and extract this archive...

Extra_1600x900.zip

...and copy the resulting folder named "Extra" to the EFI partition.

unmount the EFI partition:

umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI instead)

And delete the mountpoint:

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Type exit

And reboot - make sure to boot from your OS X drive instead of your boot CD!

When you see the timeout bar, press a key. You should see your hard drive partitions. Use the arrow keys to move the selection box to your OS X partition and type -v (command prompt appears at the bottom of the screen as you type) to boot in verbose mode.

Let me know how it goes, it probably won't work the first time, maybe we need to add some drivers to /Extra/Extensions or set GraphicsEnabler=n.

If it stops at some point, take a photo and attach it here. Use the full editor to upload and attach files.

What's your displays native resolution? Theme.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist needs to be edited to match.

Fixed.

-----------------

/Extra contents for the curious:

smbios.plist - imac11,1 with latest boot rom

/Extensions/fakesmc.kext with revision key modified to match latest imac11,1 smc revision.

Chameleon AHCI injector kexts

Chameleon default theme

Clean com.apple.Boot.plist with CPU power management activated and EthernetBuiltIn=y

No problem. Please pay attention and answer my question though:

What's your displays native resolution? Theme.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist needs to be edited to match.

I also need you to download and install this:

lspci_V1.1.zip

I think you may need to reboot for it to work, I don't remember.

Run Terminal, type

update-pciids

(wait for it to update)

Then

lspci -nn

And post the output here.

Type

kextstat > ~/desktop/kextstat.txt

Right-click kextstat.txt (it's on your desktop), click compress and then attach the zip file to your next post.

Use the Full editor to upload and attach files.

Ok so I was doing as you said until I got to the part where i had to enter my password. The part where I had to enter sudo -s. I dont have a password set on my hackintosh so I just pressed enter. Terminal said I have the incorrect password. What do I do now?

My displays native resolution is 1600x900.

You need to find out what your password is. You do have an administrator password, entering one is part of the installation process and it can't be skipped.

I can't help you with this. Google 'OS X password recovery' and see what you can find.

This is probably why you could not install Chameleon before.

Meanwhile, I'll edit the contents of the attached "extra" folder so that your native resolution is set in theme.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist.

You will need to re-download it.

/EDIT - done.

Got the password situation solved.

This was the output:

Hackintoshs-MacBook-Pro:~ Hackintosh$ update-pciids

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

100 178k 100 178k 0 0 116k 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 138k

Done.

Hackintoshs-MacBook-Pro:~ Hackintosh$ Lspci-nn

-bash: Lspci-nn: command not found

Hackintoshs-MacBook-Pro:~ Hackintosh$ Lspci -nn

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller [8086:0100] (rev 09)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port [8086:0101] (rev 09)

00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)

00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1503] (rev 05)

00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1c2d] (rev 05)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1c10] (rev b5)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1c12] (rev b5)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1c14] (rev b5)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1c16] (rev b5)

00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 [8086:1c18] (rev b5)

00:1c.6 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev b5)

00:1c.7 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 [8086:1c1e] (rev b5)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1c26] (rev 05)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation P67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller [8086:1c46] (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c02] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1c22] (rev 05)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] [10de:0640] (rev a1)

03:00.0 USB Controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

05:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362 AHCI Controller [197b:2362] (rev 10)

06:00.0 USB Controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

07:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Unknown device [1b21:1080] (rev 01)

08:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller [1106:3044] (rev c0)

09:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device [1b4b:9172] (rev 11)

kextstat.txt.zip

It doesn't matter how you did it, for your own good, sudo does not accept a blank password.

Read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4103

You need to find out if there's a way to change the password on your existing account or if there is a way to create a new administrator account with a proper password. Follow the link I posted and read.

I just took a look at your motherboard manual which made me realize what hardware you have.

I think you should follow the directions given in this thread, it will be much easier for you, and you will be talking to people with the same hardware as yours: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252849

They will be able to assist you better, I might miss something, I am not familiar with Sandy Bridge architecture.

I had a quick question. Will buying an ATI video card(such as http://www.frys.com/product/6074118?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG or http://www.frys.com/product/6141819?site=s...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG) and replacing this 9500 GT solve my resolution problem and work out of the box?

I was also looking at http://www.frys.com/product/5970274?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG but I dont know which will help/solve my resolution problem. Will any of these work out of the box?