31 replies to this topic

chartz

chartz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

Beware: 10.7.2 breaks Lion, you will have to re-install the new platform.plist file again !

Here.

zillo

zillo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:angry:
Mac OS X 10.7.2 update broke my Lion on a MacMini 1,1.
Now I will have to work it out to fix it again.
As soon as I have a solution I will post it here.

BurningSnowman

BurningSnowman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can't believe I just took 2 quizzes for the privilege of being allowed to post this advice. Anyway:

Fixing broken OS X on an unsupported Mac when it breaks following a 10.7.2 upgrade...

Stealing the principle from this post on a French forum it wasn't too hard to devise a way that does not require you to have another Mac, namely:

• Boot to your OS X Install DVD (hold down 'C' at boot).
  • Choose a language and then select Terminal from the menu.
  • Navigate with 'cd' to (might vary depending on your partition name) /Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices
  • Carefully make a backup copy of PlatformSupport.plist with 'cp' e.g. "cp PlatformSupport.plist PlatformSupport.plist.bak" - you have root privileges and want insurance against messing this up.
  • Use the very limited bash commands at your disposal to add "<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>" (this is for most 2006 Mac Minis - you'll need a different string for other systems) in the right place, e.g. after the other strings but before the final gubbins. I used 'sed' to delete all the last closing tags, then concatenated the new string onto the end of the file (with >>) and put the closing tags back in the same way. Whitespace/indentation doesn't matter.
  • Exit the installer and choose your normal partition as the boot disk.
I guess there must be a nicer way to do (5) but this worked.

Hope this saves someone some time. I needlessly did a Time Machine restore and then did the system-breaking update again before realising it was just a stupid text file. Thanks Apple!

RandomMarius

RandomMarius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just updated 10.7.2 on my macmini1,1 (Originally a Core Duo, upgraded with a Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz CPU), and all I had to do extra was to re-do Step 9 in the original guide:

Step 9: After the installer has completed reboot your machine back into the 'LionInstaller'
Your machine will refuse to boot into the Lion you've just installed because a file needs to be deleted before it'll work. Open terminal and then delete the following file "/Volumes/'name of your new lion partition'/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist"

I just did a "mv PlatformSupport.plist PlatformSupport.plist.orig" instead of a delete (rm)

chartz

chartz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

10.7.3 passed with no problem!
You can go ahead!

Jacques

ct963

ct963

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
mac lion 10.7.2 dmg works with this tutorial, thanks alot,updating to 7.3 works also

if you like create 2 partitions and have one lion other snow and use snow to access the other filesystem.

jgdh

jgdh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been running my Lion on my MacMini 1,1 for over a year now, using the "target disk mode" approach to boot an officially Lion-compatible Mac (a white MacBook) and then adding '<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>' to /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist. It has worked perfectly. Until this week!

I recently updated to 10.7.4, doing the update while booted on the MacBook just to be on the same side. The upgrade did not overwrite PlatformSupport.plist, and the MacMini booted up just fine after afterwards.

While at the logon screen, my one-year-old daughter was randomly hitting keys (this may be a complete coincidence), and the MacMini rebooted. Since then it will not boot, with verbose mode reporting: "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-F4208EC8". The MacBook continues to boot fine from the MacMini HD (SSD actually) using target disk mode.

I have tripled checked PlatformSupport.plist, renamed it out of the way, searched for additional versions of the file and also renamed the one in com.apple.recovery.boot. But still no luck.

Can anyone suggest what to try next? I am now stuck. I do not know enough about the OS X boot sequence to further diagnose the problem, and can't figure out what has changed since it was working!

rafiguroian

rafiguroian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's odd... removing the file itself should take care of it...

Has anyone tried 10.7.5 yet? I'll probably apply the Delta update this weekend to see if it breaks things.

rafiguroian

rafiguroian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I can confirm that the same problem that jgdh reported as having with 10.7.4 appears to affect 10.7.5 as well. Here's what I know so far:

-My mac mini (originally a core solo machine), upgraded to a 2.33 Core2Duo, installed 10.7.0 successfully with the method detailed in this thread.
-10.7.2's update worked after renaming or deleting PlatformSupport.plist
-10.7.3's delta update caused no problems
-10.7.4's delta update caused no problems
-I was able to install Server.app from the App store to turn the mini into a server on 10.7.4
-The 10.7.5 delta update (which included server components since I had updated to Server while running 10.7.4) broke the boot sequence
-Deleting/renaming the PlatformSupport.plist file has no positive effect.

It appears that the boot sequence has at some point lost some dependency on the PlatformSupport.plist, even though the 10.7.5 update put it back in place. Removing that file from the equation doesn't have the same effect anymore.

My next step will be to put an older version of the PlatformSupport.plist file on the machine and to have the machine ID in there to see if that helps.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do. Any thoughts are appreciated!

rafiguroian

rafiguroian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Quick update... I'm stumped.

I put the machine ID into the plist and placed it in the directory, but still no dice.

I found a report elsewhere (http://www.xlr8yourm..._duo_swaps.html) with news of success, so I'm still hopeful. My mini differs from the success story, however, in that he has also apparently installed a firmware update to fool the mini into reporting that it's a newer (yet still Lion-unsupported) model.

In any case, if anyone out there has any more ideas, there are at least 2 of us on here that are all ears.

ct963

ct963

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i no longer have one but i updated the firmware to 2,1 i think, it didnt work in lion, unless those two files were removed. you will need to make a backup and compare it to 7.5,

salopard

salopard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
10.7.5 works just fine on my T7200 (Core2Duo) upgraded 2006 Mac Mini. I downloaded the 10.7.5 delta upgrade, and before reboot deleted the PlatformSupport.plist.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy