GTX 260 - What am I doing wrong! QE/CI not working and low resolution.

Barker1337

43 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have spent all weekend trying to get my Nvidia GTX 260 card to work. I am stuck at 1080x724 resolution, with no QE/CI. OpenGl gives me around max of 35 fps.

I have tried to use Nektas's Nvidia Enabler.pgk file, which did nothing for me. I have tried to use NVenabler64.kext but also nothing is happening. GraphicsEnabler=yes is in my com.apple.boot.plist file, I am running Chameloen RC5, which is installed straight of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I have also tried the method shown on this webpage:

http://osx86.co/f19/guide-geforce-gtx-260-...-leopard-t4057/

Which involves putting the hex codes into the com.apple.boot.plist files, but that did not change anything either.

Tonight, I

-wiped and reinstalled Snow Leopard off the Retail Disk.

-Ran the 10.6.6 combo update, then [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], (selecting NVenabler, and the 32-bit boot kernal with graphicsenabler=yes already in it).

-I then used tonymacosx's http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/upd...r-mac-os-x.html.

-Then I did the http://osx86.co/f19/guide-geforce-gtx-260-...-leopard-t4057/ method shown above, which did nothing as well.

I am still running at basic resolution, when my monitor has a 1366x768x32 resolution available on windows. I have also tried to add the graphics mode=1366x768 etc. to the com.apple.boot.plist files.

The main reason for installing Mac on my computer is to use Logic Pro, which needs QE/CI with vRam to install.

BTW, I am running on a

HP Pavilion Elite

Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

9GB RAM

I have two harddrives, a 1TB for windows. Then a separate 2TB HD partitioned, 1TB for Mac OSX and then 1tb for downloads/movies.

[ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 ]

Video Adapter Properties:

Device Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Adapter String GeForce GTX 260

BIOS String Version 62.0.77.0.1

Chip Type GeForce GTX 260

DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC

Installed Drivers nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx, nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Video Adapter Manufacturer:

Company Name NVIDIA Corporation

Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products

Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

(FROM WINDOWS)

Desktop Properties:

Device Technology Raster Display

Resolution 1366 x 768

Color Depth 32-bit

Color Planes 1

Font Resolution 96 dpi

Pixel Width / Height 36 / 36

Pixel Diagonal 51

Vertical Refresh Rate 60 Hz

Basically, I am running out of ideas. Please if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to resolve this it would be great :)

Thanks.

You won't get QE/CI or other resolutions than 1024x768 because the guides you followed are mostly outdated

For example:

gfxutil generates correct GFX string if and only if it runs under Leopard 10.5.x not Snow Leopard 10.6.x

And a lots outdated information from these guides that I forgot to mention

Here is my guide it works for GT240, 250 GTS, 260 GTX and 27? ( not remember maybe 275 )

Before you try this guide, please notice:

It's normal that you will not get QE/CI and native resolutions when you just finish install 10.6.3, you need to upgrade to 10.6.5 or 10.6.6, in case you can't get into the desktop, use

-x

at Chameleon and fix

Ok, here we go

- First, look at your DSDT

Scope (\_SB)

{

Device (PWRB)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Device (PCI0)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))

Name (_ADR, 0x00)

Name (_UID, 0x01)

Name (_BBN, 0x00)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

Then you need to change Name (_UID, 0x01) to Name (_UID, 0x00) as below

Scope (\_SB)

{

Device (PWRB)

{

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Device (PCI0)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00)

Name (_UID, 0x00)

Name (_BBN, 0x00)

- Second, make sure you install most updated Chameleon let's say RC5 699 Or Newest VALV's Chameleon

- Third, update your com.apple.boot.plist by add these lines into it

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

- Finally reboot

Make sure you must DELETE all other graphics injection kext such as NVEnabler... and REMOVE GFX string, also DO NOT add any graphics info in DSDT file, you CANNOT mix vary techniques at once, you CANNOT combine different methods: it won't work, for example: GraphicsEnabler Yes with GFX string (even correct) together or add graphics info to DSDT combine with other techniques: WILL NOT WORKS!!!

Remember:

If this still not works for you try to install fresh Mac OS X

If you can not get into desktop (black screen) then use safe mode -x to boot into No QE/CI ( just temporaly and fix or use another way )

Final words: if this works or not, please report and I will give you other solutions

You won't get QE/CI or other resolutions than 1024x768 because the guides you followed are mostly outdated

For example:

gfxutil generates correct GFX string if and only if it runs under Leopard 10.5.x not Snow Leopard 10.6.x

And a lots outdated information from these guides that I forgot to mention

Here is my guide it works for GT240, 250 GTS, 260 GTX and 27? ( not remember maybe 275 )

Before you try this guide, please notice:

It's normal that you will not get QE/CI and native resolutions when you just finish install 10.6.3, you need to upgrade to 10.6.5 or 10.6.6, in case you can't get into the desktop, use

-x

at Chameleon and fix

Ok, here we go

- First, look at your DSDT

Scope (\_SB)

{

Device (PWRB)

{

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Device (PCI0)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00)

Name (_UID, 0x01)

Name (_BBN, 0x00)

Then you need to change Name (_UID, 0x01) to Name (_UID, 0x00) as below

Scope (\_SB)

{

Device (PWRB)

{

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Device (PCI0)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00)

Name (_UID, 0x00)

Name (_BBN, 0x00)

- Second, make sure you install most updated Chameleon let's say RC5 699 Or Newest VALV's Chameleon

- Third, update your com.apple.boot.plist by add these lines into it

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

- Finally reboot

Make sure you must DELETE all other graphics injection kext such as NVEnabler... and REMOVE GFX string, also DO NOT add any graphics info in DSDT file, you CANNOT mix vary techniques at once, you CANNOT combine different methods: it won't work, for example: GraphicsEnabler Yes with GFX string (even correct) together or add graphics info to DSDT combine with other techniques: WILL NOT WORKS!!!

Remember:

If this still not works for you try to install fresh Mac OS X

If you can not get into desktop (black screen) then use safe mode -x to boot into No QE/CI ( just temporaly and fix or use another way )

Final words: if this works or not, please report and I will give you other solutions

Hey, thanks for the reply. I used DSDTSE and tried to find the PCI0 bit, but mine looks nothing like that. Also, I am new to dsdt modding so i didnt really want to alter anything that I didnt really know about. Is it really just changing one number in the PCI0 part? In the DSDTSE thing there is a guide for a GTX 250 modding of the dsdt but yeah wasnt sure if this would be outdated. It was similar to the post below yours from FKA.

If its alright I have uploaded my dsdt in a text file, As i really have no idea how to mod it properely could you please alter it and send it back in a dsdt.aml file type? It shouldnt take too long for an experienced user. Plus it would be a great help to me :)

Or if FKA would like to try mod it using his method as well that would be greatly appreciated :dev:

Thanks very much!

UPLOAD.rtf

Or if FKA would like to try mod it using his method as well that would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks very much!

Cheeky! ;)

I need to know what ports your card has?

Dual DVI or DVI, DSUB, HDMI?

Also I'm more than sure that if you remove any GFX edits from your DSDT and any injector kexts you may have installed then using GraphicsEnabler=Yes will work perfectly well!

I had one of these cards on my rig about 6months or so ago.

D

Cheeky! :thumbsup_anim:

I need to know what ports your card has?

Dual DVI or DVI, DSUB, HDMI?

Also I'm more than sure that if you remove any GFX edits from your DSDT and any injector kexts you may have installed then using GraphicsEnabler=Yes will work perfectly well!

I had one of these cards on my rig about 6months or so ago.

D

Hahah, on the back of the computer I have two DVI ports, so I'd be guessing Dual DVI.

Im not too sure what methods are still on there, so I might just do a fresh install. Can you give me some basic directions of what to do after I install the 10.6.6 Combo Update and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]?

After I install do I need to remove any kexts in the System/Library/Extensions folder?

And is all i need to do is to update the com.apple.boot.plist file to have graphicsenabler=yes?

Thanks.

Hahah, on the back of the computer I have two DVI ports, so I'd be guessing Dual DVI.

Im not too sure what methods are still on there, so I might just do a fresh install. Can you give me some basic directions of what to do after I install the 10.6.6 Combo Update and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]?

After I install do I need to remove any kexts in the System/Library/Extensions folder?

And is all i need to do is to update the com.apple.boot.plist file to have graphicsenabler=yes?

Thanks.

I don't know about [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], sorry!

Make sure the version of chameleon you have is RC4 or above.

in boot.plist add:

<string>GraphicsEnabler</string>

<key>Yes</key>

Let me know if your [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] doesn't have Chameleon RC4 or RC5 and i'll point you in the right direction.

A fresh install at this point is best cos' you have probably tried a lot of other methods!

And no don't delete anything from System/Library/Extensions.

D

Ok. Update.

I reinstalled and combo updated to 10.6.6, then installed Chameloen 599 through [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I added the graphicsenabler=yes code to my .boot.plist file.

The screen looks a lot clearer, the About My Mac Info recognises the card, with vRam of 1792mb.

But, the resolution is still stuck at 1024x768, when i need it to be 1366x768. GLView tests only get the same (35fps), with it failing anything higher than a 2.9. Also, when I try to install Logic, it says no vRam is found. So, nothing has really changed haha, other than the screen being clearer but that could just be in my mind. Help!

Ok. Update.

I reinstalled and combo updated to 10.6.6, then installed Chameloen 599 through [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I added the graphicsenabler=yes code to my .boot.plist file.

The screen looks a lot clearer, the About My Mac Info recognises the card, with vRam of 1792mb.

But, the resolution is still stuck at 1024x768, when i need it to be 1366x768. GLView tests only get the same (35fps), with it failing anything higher than a 2.9. Also, when I try to install Logic, it says no vRam is found. So, nothing has really changed haha, other than the screen being clearer but that could just be in my mind. Help!

Try with this version of chameleon: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Just run the installer. It is possible your PCIRoot isn't being auto detected with the older version you are using.

D

Nope, This only made it worse, I now have no recognition of the PCI slot being taken, and the card model and etc just says GPU. Beforehand it had the make, model number, and which PCI slot it was in. Also, When in System Profiler, I clicked on the PCI slot, it showed all the information about the graphics card. So I think it was recognised before, I just need to enable QE/Ci and get the higher resolution going.

PS. I tried to alter the resolution via the graphics=1366x768 or whatever it is in chameleon preferences pane, that didnt work either.

Nope, This only made it worse, I now have no recognition of the PCI slot being taken, and the card model and etc just says GPU. Beforehand it had the make, model number, and which PCI slot it was in. Also, When in System Profiler, I clicked on the PCI slot, it showed all the information about the graphics card. So I think it was recognised before, I just need to enable QE/Ci and get the higher resolution going.

PS. I tried to alter the resolution via the graphics=1366x768 or whatever it is in chameleon preferences pane, that didnt work either.

OK with the same setup, at the chameleon boot prompt, type: PciRoot=1

then boot.

D

OK with the same setup, at the chameleon boot prompt, type: PciRoot=1

then boot.

D

I tried this, nothing happened differently. I also tried using the Preference Pane for Chameloen to enable pciroot=1 and that didnt work either. My card is just being labelled as GPU.

Try to install new driver downloaded from this

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Of course with GraphicsEnabler Yes

Reboot

Hey, I re-installed the version of Chameleon that was showing all my information about the graphics card. then tried to install this and it lost all my information about my card and nothnig changed. It is now labelled as GPU. For the sake of it, I tried to use Tonymac's nvidia updater but that didnt work as well. I think i will have to, yet again, reinstall mac and then see what other options are available. any ideas what else i could try to get this working?

thanks, James

I tried this, nothing happened differently. I also tried using the Preference Pane for Chameloen to enable pciroot=1 and that didnt work either. My card is just being labelled as GPU.

Hey, I re-installed the version of Chameleon that was showing all my information about the graphics card. then tried to install this and it lost all my information about my card and nothnig changed. It is now labelled as GPU. For the sake of it, I tried to use Tonymac's nvidia updater but that didnt work as well. I think i will have to, yet again, reinstall mac and then see what other options are available. any ideas what else i could try to get this working?

thanks, James

Hi james

In terminal please type without the quotes "kextstat"

copy and paste the result to a text file and post here.

I suspect you are not removing video injector kexts that [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] is installing!

You are far better doing a retail style install and then you have full control over what is installed!

D

Okay, here it is.

Thanks.

I can't see any enabler kext.

OK download and run lspci http://www.osx86.es/?p=620

Install and type: lspci -nn in terminal and post results.

Also repost your DSDT that you have extracted from machine - NOT one that you have downloaded!

And post it here as dsdt.dsl file. I will patch it for you.

D

I can't see any enabler kext.

OK download and run lspci http://www.osx86.es/?p=620

Install and type: lspci -nn in terminal and post results.

Also repost your DSDT that you have extracted from machine - NOT one that you have downloaded!

And post it here as dsdt.dsl file. I will patch it for you.

D

Okay, I just re-installed Mac again to get a fresh dsdt and etc. As i had tried the nVidia packages. So here it is, this is 10.6.6 with Chameloen rc5 599 installed.

I used dsdtse to extract the dsdt, hope thats okay.

Thanks ;)

EDIT: it doesnt like my dsdt.dsl file, I uploaded it to this random site.

https://www.opendrive.com/files/?14227884_i1m40

lspci.rtf

Okay, I just re-installed Mac again to get a fresh dsdt and etc. As i had tried the nVidia packages. So here it is, this is 10.6.6 with Chameloen rc5 599 installed.

I used dsdtse to extract the dsdt, hope thats okay.

EDIT: it doesnt like my dsdt.dsl file, I uploaded it to this random site.

https://www.opendrive.com/files/?14227884_i1m40

Mate you don't have a GTX 260!

10DE.05EA " GT20x GT200 NVIDIA GT200

Please check your hardware before you waste peoples times asking for help!

Please search the forum for GT200 solutions!

D

Mate you don't have a GTX 260!

10DE.05EA " GT20x GT200 NVIDIA GT200

Please check your hardware before you waste peoples times asking for help!

Please search the forum for GT200 solutions!

D

mmn, no. Its definately a GTX 260

Gt200 is just a codename for the GPUs in GTX 280 and GTX 260.

CPU-Z shows as a GTX 260. Plus, Without editing anything, System Profiler recognised it as a gtx260.

Also, the gtx200 doesnt come in 1792mb RAM, only the gtx 260 does.

Have a look at the pic attached.

Thanks.

post-484533-1297561018_thumb.png

mmn, no. Its definately a GTX 260

Gt200 is just a codename for the GPUs in GTX 280 and GTX 260.

CPU-Z shows as a GTX 260. Plus, Without editing anything, System Profiler recognised it as a gtx260.

Also, the gtx200 doesnt come in 1792mb RAM, only the gtx 260 does.

Have a look at the pic attached.

Thanks.

I take it back and sorry! I didn't look properly. and i can see that device id is listed in nvidia.c so i presume here support with GraphicsEnabler. so I don't understand why it not working for you?

forgot to ask, for dsdt I need an export from ioregexplorer. I dont know if you can down load it separately but its part of Xtools.

when you say

Hey, I re-installed the version of Chameleon that was showing all my information about the graphics card. then

when it doesn't show all the information does it still let you select all resolutions and hardware acceleration enabled?

D

I take it back and sorry! I didn't look properly. and i can see that device id is listed in nvidia.c so i presume here support with GraphicsEnabler. so I don't understand why it not working for you?

forgot to ask, for dsdt I need an export from ioregexplorer. I dont know if you can down load it separately but its part of Xtools.

when you say

when it doesn't show all the information does it still let you select all resolutions and hardware acceleration enabled?

D

All good haha just didn't want you to think I was wasting your time.

How do I export it from Xtools? Unless I have downloaded the wrong program, its saying stuff about clients etc. so yeah i dont know.

and no I have never got the acceleration or different resolutions working :( Its driving me crazy.

I just updated my NVDANV50hal.kext or whatever it is, using the 0x05ea10de&amp etc, adding it to the .plist file, rebooted and nothing changed :/ so yeah

I dont understand how it can regonise fully the card and vRam, but no acceleration or different resolutions :(

EDIT: I realised it is called XCode haha so downloading now.

Also, I have edited my nvdanvhal.kext file, but when i run the terminal command:

kextview -loaded, it is not in that list.

also, in the attachted file of my kernel.log, it shows that it doesnt startup at boot.

To get it to startup at boot, I tried to add a .com.apple.nvdanvhal.plist file to /System/LaunchDaemons/ using this guide

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/80288.htm

but this just creates a kernal panic at startup

HELP, how do I get this kext running? Do I have to boot in 32-bit or 64 bit, I included the files mentioned as attachments if that helps.

The info.plist is the extracted info.plist from the nvdanv50hal.kext that i have added my device ID to. My device ID is the last one (05ea etc)

kernal_text.rtf

Info_plist_text.txt

com.apple.nvdanv50Hal.txt