Abortion in the US

Where are you on abortion?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Life or Choice?

• Pro-life
    • Pro-choice
    • Undecided

173 posts in this topic

I respect everybodies views here, but shouldnt it be up to the people who are involved to decide whether its right or not for them? im not saying abortion is right, I think it should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, but thats not your decision, or mine, or a politicians, its the person who's going through it who has to live with the decision, and it SHOULD be their decision, not anybody elses.

I don't think you understand the difference between the two views....

It's the child's right to life (arguably protected by the constitution)

vs.

The wants and desires of the parents-to-be...

vs.

I do understand the difference, the only reason why I think the way I do is because I dont think a gel of cells is a human being entitled to all the rights of the constitution, and you do, thats why we have our separate views.

I vote pro-life because I feel like if you can't have self control and get your girlfriend pregnant then you should deal with the aftermath.

And that is all im going to say so you might as well not quote me lol.

Being pro-choice is about well... choice. Everyone should make their own choices, not have choices foisted on them by others. My view anyways.

I love how the media spun this a few years back and switched pro-life over to anti-choice. It basically made the pro-life group some kind of evil regime bent on removing choice from everyone. And who could be against choice?

I vote pro-life because I feel like if you can't have self control and get your girlfriend pregnant then you should deal with the aftermath.

And that is all im going to say so you might as well not quote me lol.

So...basically what youre saying is that having the child should be a punishment? I dont know why anybody would wish this on the child, I mean...come on. It seems like pro-lifers arent willing to cope with the consequences, the woman would have no choice, AND the general public would have no system in line for helping these women if they were required to have these children, sounds like a pretty mean society to me. I think that if one takes women's choice away, they should put safeguards in place to help these women raise their children, if we dont, weve got a bunch of criminals 16 years later. Just my opinion anyway.

But if you dont feel like using your tax dollars to help women who want to keep their children, then why are you taking away their choice at the same time? personally I think it should be the way it is now, "you have the choice, but if you choose to keep, you have to deal with it"

Also, its unfair to be preaching self control to people, given that people should have a bit of self control, but when it comes to sex, its pretty dammed hard, I mean, look what were made for? Its not a sin to have sex, its not a sin to explore your sexuality, theres nothing wrong with that, AND we live in a time where unwanted consequences can be 99% controlled with birth control, and with those odds, why wouldnt you explore? When that unfortunate 1% happens, it should be up to the mother to decide whether or not they are ready to be a parent.

Have I made any dent here? any at all?

See now you got me started.. hah.

I did not exert self control and I myself had a child. I couldn't see myself killing somthing that was a part of me. That was nearly 7 years ago and too this day I am doing everything I can to show my kid the world and teach him everything I know. True my parents were taken aback and disgruntled, but I take to take charge of the life that was rightfully mine. Having the child set me back a few years but im now a engineering student and proud that I am going somewere and im going to have my child by my side.

I FELT that is wasn't my choice to kill him, and im GLAD that I didn't because look what that one singal celled organism turned into?

Its the right of the parents to have the child, not the right to destory it.

Adoption, not abortion.

Yes alot of women are left alone with their children, but I stood by the woman that I had gotten pregnant, and to this day we are still together and I support her with my life.

vs.

It gets deeper than that.

vs.

AND usage of abortion as a sick form of birth control

AND the child/mother's health as a direct result of pregnancy

AND many other issues. It's not so black and white.

Arghh, somebody post an argument for a side, and then we can get this one started again. I'll even give you a basic pro-life argument for you to easily counter and then we can get this one going.

Okay, uhmm, I'm pro-life because when the sperm meets the egg, I think that makes them a person.

Now, somebody counter that.

(Other than Killbot, we'd just trade saracstic remarks back and forth)

lol

Arghh, somebody post an argument for a side, and then we can get this one started again. I'll even give you a basic pro-life argument for you to easily counter and then we can get this one going.

Okay, uhmm, I'm pro-life because when the sperm meets the egg, I think that makes them a person.

Now, somebody counter that.

(Other than Killbot, we'd just trade saracstic remarks back and forth)

lol

Im pro choice because I think that when a sperm and an egg meet, it makes a zygote.

I'm pro-life because when a {censored} enters a {censored}, the owners of the {censored} and the {censored} are accepting the possibility of bringing a new life into this world.

Sex feels so good because the outcome (no pun intended, meaning life here) is supposed to feel good. Having the feeling of being responsible for bringing a new life into the world is probably one of the best emotional feelings ever (I don't know, I don't have kids). So why not make one of the best PHYSICAL feelings equate with the best emotional feelings? Seems like a God thing to me.... Just my opinion...

I'm pro-life because when a {censored} enters a {censored}, the owners of the {censored} and the {censored} are accepting the possibility of bringing a new life into this world.

Sex feels so good because the outcome (no pun intended, meaning life here) is supposed to feel good. Having the feeling of being responsible for bringing a new life into the world is probably one of the best emotional feelings ever (I don't know, I don't have kids). So why not make one of the best PHYSICAL feelings equate with the best emotional feelings? Seems like a God thing to me.... Just my opinion...

I love how to emphasize your point, you said the same thing twice, that really works! :poster_oops: (jk).

I have an alternative explanation, sex feels good because, if it didnt, we wouldnt have sex, and there would be no children to speak of, its a basic evolutionary process, if people didnt like sex, they wouldnt do it, and no children would ever be here.

Today we have birth control, we have condoms and birth control pills, that antequated notion of "if you have sex you must take responsability that you may...." is dead. We can have sex now without pregnancy, what else could we ask for? If somebody is using birth control responsibly, they shouldnt have to pay for a minor technicality of the birth control by being punished into having a child, thats just wrong, they should be able to have a child when theyre ready, not when the bible says their ready, or when their bodies say theyre ready. If you want sex to be like the world 2000 years ago, then we need to make the world as it was 2000 years ago, and...im not in a big hurry to do that, are you?

Today we have birth control, we have condoms and birth control pills, that antequated notion of "if you have sex you must take responsability that you may...." is dead. We can have sex now without pregnancy, what else could we ask for? If somebody is using birth control responsibly, they shouldnt have to pay for a minor technicality of the birth control by being punished into having a child, thats just wrong, they should be able to have a child when theyre ready, not when the bible says their ready, or when their bodies say theyre ready. If you want sex to be like the world 2000 years ago, then we need to make the world as it was 2000 years ago, and...im not in a big hurry to do that, are you?

Even if you are using birth control, you can still get pregnant. The problem is is that abortion is the only surefire method of birth control. The problem is also that that baby could one day find the cure for cancer. When you kill babies, you're harming the world, not just the baby itself. Don't try to use the argument "what if the baby was going to be a serial killer." thats not really the point. the point is that we shouldn't have the power to decide what babies live and what babies die. The baby has every right to live, and to deny him/her that right, is to deny all all humans the right to live.

The baby is a human from the time of conception. That is not negotiable.

Even if you are using birth control, you can still get pregnant. The problem is is that abortion is the only surefire method of birth control. The problem is also that that baby could one day find the cure for cancer. When you kill babies, you're harming the world, not just the baby itself. Don't try to use the argument "what if the baby was going to be a serial killer." thats not really the point. the point is that we shouldn't have the power to decide what babies live and what babies die. The baby has every right to live, and to deny him/her that right, is to deny all all humans the right to live.

The baby is a human from the time of conception. That is not negotiable.

I think it is negotiable, and thats why were arguing about it, honestly, a zygote, and blastyscist, they are not people, I just dont get why people think they are, they are the red dot in the middle of an accidentally fertilized chicken egg, its not a person yet, also I wasnt going to use the argument of "the baby could be a serial killer" even though its true, my point is, that it doesnt affect society at all, I was going to use the argument of "well the odds of that child curing cancer are about zero" even if that child would have been instrumental in curing cancer, it would have been done anyway, without that childs help, also, cancer is the wrong thing to say, because its different in every case, so you cant just "cure cancer" you might be able to cure a certain kind of cancer. Anyway, my point is that you cant treat a zygote like a person, you cant treat a barely developed embryo like a person, there are lots of miscarriages in a regular woman's life, should each one of those miscarriages get a funeral?

My point is, its stupid to treat an embryo like a full blown person, because theyre not...

Maybe not, but the embryo has a very high likeliness of becoming a full blown person. Just because a child is less than 18 doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to be an adult in the future.Just because he's not an adult, doesn't mean he's not a human.

Human's don't produce chicken eggs, so your scientific argument doesn't even make any sense. Humans produce humans. to call a barely developed baby a red dot is inhumane. If the sperm and egg meet up, the woman is considered PREGNANT:

Pregnant - adj. 1. Carrying developing offspring within the body.

Hmm. Carrying developing offspring. Just because they are still developing doesn't mean they aren't offspring. And even after birth, the offspring is still developing.

So. If you don't want to call the zygote a human, so be it. But keep in mind, if its not human, then its not offspring, which would make the woman NOT PREGNANT. If the woman is not pregnant, then why would she need an abortion? :)

For all the Pro-Choicers out there, I really just don't understand you. The issue isn't that you've had your choice restricted. Even before Abortion and contraceptives were available, you've had choices. The choice was to have sex, or not to have sex. Before Contraceptives or Abortion, you had to live with the choice you made, and the consequences that came along with it.

Today, with the science we have, we can stop a fertilized egg from attaching to a uterus wall, and we can stop a fetus from developing. However, all of this science isn't used to increase Choice, it's just used to eliminate the consequences of a bad choice. Sex is a very pleasurable experience, but with every pleasure, consequences are connected. I'm trying not to be cliched, but you can't make your cake and eat it too.

Nobody's a pro-choicer, because then they'd be advocating the teaching of the consequences of unsafe sex to people. In my opinion, they're just anti-consequencites (if thats a word), they want to be able to enjoy the pleasures of sex without facing any of the possible reprocussions.